Gidget - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gidget Reviews

May 20, 2017
The 1st Gidget film was the only Gidget film with a great script ; the other 2 were scribed by a different screenwriter & lack the authentic Gidget vibe. Also, Sandra Dee was irreplaceable.
August 6, 2015
This was one of my sister and my favorite films to watch when we visited our Grandmother's house growing up. It is a classic coming-of-age story about a young woman who is trying to enjoy her summer while struggling with the pressure to fit in and to grow up. It offers several wonderfully positive messages, and it encourages young women to be who they are. This movie is a rare gem!
May 29, 2015
Love it.....I watch it as often as I can.
May 3, 2015
Dated perhaps, but the start of the surfing culture.
½ May 19, 2014
WB's answer to the popular 'beach pics'
January 30, 2014
Love this movie --- Sandra Dee is stunning...
October 6, 2013
Francis Lawrence is the perfect 1950's girl next door. She isn't exactly "manhunt" material and her friends let her know it ... so instead she tomboys off to learn to surf with a bunch of beach-bum wannabes headed by The Great Kahuna, and Moondoggie for who she falls, despite him nicknaming her Gidget (girl midget).Its charm is in its kitsch: it's genuinely cute and to make you smile. As the Gidge herself would say, Its The Absolute Ultimate!
½ September 10, 2013
Cute and charming film.
June 18, 2013
Really, a wonderful coming of age story.

Typical California beach bummery. Astoundingly, racier than I anticipated. Basically, a narrative about a girl who wants bigger boobs, no matter how creatively they try to put it.

Sandra Dee is cute. Cliff Robertson was pure stud. A quintessential tale about peer pressure.

All throughout, you can feel her dealing with her teenage awkwardness. That's very well conveyed. When she tells her parents of the circumstances of her "date," it is painfully real, as are many of the relationships. You feel for her, even when she's probably doing the wrong thing.

The surprise ending was truly a delightful shock!

This may be the most California movie ever.
A mild little frolic, but a most worthy one.
½ June 1, 2013
The best Gidget movie!
February 21, 2013
Innocent Californiana before the decline
February 6, 2013
An old and cute beach movie from 1959. Rumored to be the film that started the run of beach movies that followed in the 60s such as Beach Party and the other movies in that series. Good clean fun movie with really bad "surfing" in front of a blue screen, my favourite of these being when the Big Kahuna is smoking a cigar while surfing a wave, so cheesy it's great. It's quite dated to the time it was made, one example being a cross stitch on the wall reading something along the lines of a good woman is one who brings out the best in a man... a good escape film, innocent and sweet, and yes for girls - I can't see guys getting into this.
July 11, 2012
I actually really enjoyed this movie a lot. Sandra Dee was really good and so was Moondoggy. I really likes the Big Kahuna. Great movie to watch at home during a summer night.
June 22, 2012
A very innocent and cute film. I'm not a surfer nor do I want to be so theirs not much I can say about this one. Except for how good it was in every aspect of film making. The writing was okay. Their was nothing special or something that would stick in your head. The story itself is a good one. It's mostly about acceptance and coming of age. So if your a young girl that likes to surf, watch this. It would probably be one of your favorites. The directing was not special. It was okay, it did a good job on capturing the visual beauty of the ocean but that's about it. The acting was decent. Once again, nothing too special but it's not like the acting had you crying. Their was a real cuteness to the acting style present in this film. The production values have to be the best part. Very well put together. Overall, this film is visually beautiful with a cuteness atmosphere. You could literally catch some waves on it. I would recommend this film to people that like stunning classics.
April 7, 2012
this is a old cute movie!
½ January 13, 2012
Moondoggy I love you!
June 29, 2011
Such a Great Surfer Movie, my Niece named her Dog Gidget after this Movie.I always hoped she'd get a companion Dog & name it Moondoggie too.Hard to believe that Female Surfers were something unusual at that time.A Really Sweet Film for Teens
May 25, 2011
A classic film about surfing, summer fun and falling in love. Wonderful movie!
½ April 24, 2011
I thought it was a cute movie the made it self into a tv show.
January 22, 2011
Love this movie and Moondoggie!!!