Gigante - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gigante Reviews

January 12, 2016
very well done and intimate.
June 25, 2013
Slow, predictable, boring, a little romantic. Looks more like a project by a film school student than serious movie.
March 13, 2013
Muito bom! Roteiro redondinho, personagem principal muito bem construido, chega a dar agonia da timidez do cabra! O plano final deixa claro a consistencia da direcao! Filme uruguaio, vale a pena!
January 31, 2013
Esta película pudo ser muda, su fuerte no son los diálogos, pero el sentimiento es genuino, hay empatía y simpatía con el protagonista, el mensaje es transmitido, y no puede dejar de verse. Un poco lenta.
January 26, 2013
This art house romantic comedy is a little gem of directorial artistry - the focus is on shaping the contours of the main character, and reminds one of Sofia Coppola's "Somewhere". Action fans will die of boredom.
½ July 6, 2012
At the beginning, you think the dude's a creep, but as the movie goes a long, you really start to root for that mofo.
½ June 23, 2012
spanish subtitled.. eerie, yet amusing
March 31, 2012
Interesting kind of love story. Creepy in a certain way by American standards. Not so many dialogues. Almost none to be honest.
½ March 19, 2012
Sloooooow movie. I was surprised to see such good ratings on this movie.
January 30, 2012
great big little love story
December 24, 2011
Intriguing characters and a great love story.
August 10, 2011
This brilliant Argentinian film is subtle, real, slightly creepy and yet very touching at the same time. This is the story of a security guard called Jara who is deeply obsessed with a cleaner called Julia. His fixation starts off light and based on literally nothing and quickly develops into full on stalking as the film develops. The two central performances are perfect but extremely light on genuine content, it's all played out without the use of much dialogue but is extremely effective for it. Just the kind of understated character piece that I love.
July 19, 2011
Mostra de filmes latino americanos no palacio das artes
½ July 16, 2011
Una historia de amor pequeña con aristas interesantes sobre la vida de la gente comun. Sin ser pretensiosa te va llevando a un ritmo muy cansino, a la uruguaya....como la peli.
½ March 2, 2011
In his spare time, Jara(Horacio Camandule) babysits his nephew Matias(Federico Garcia). Actually, it's more like they just hang out and play video games together.(Just don't tell anyone.) For work, he is a night watchman at a supermarket where he keeps a dispassionate eye on the shenanigans of his co-workers. Nor does he ogle any of the women. At first, he laughs when Julia(Leonor Svarcas), a new cleaning lady, knocks over a display of toilet paper but feels empathy for her after she is severely scolded by Rojas(Augusto Peloso), a manager, going so far as to run interference for her.

With fluid camerawork that is in no hurry(especially the lovely final shot), "Gigante" takes what could have been a creepy or condescending premise and turns it around into something heartwarming. A lot of that has to do with the sweet demeanor of its lead character who acts as more of a guardian angel than anything else to Julia. While he moonlights as a bouncer, violence does not come easily to him.(Even as a pacifist, I have no problem with how he reacts to the driver.) So while Jara thinks the best of people, he also ignores the growing labor conflict at work, as sometimes he is enmeshed in fantasy, the movie also oddly enough having its share of cold war references like the bar being called Molotov and the occasional familiar guitar chords, the soundtrack to a world he would like to live in.
½ February 10, 2011
spanish subtitled.. eerie, yet amusing
November 26, 2010
Absolutely brilliant!! The only thing I knew about this film when I picked it out, was that it had won awards at the Berlin International Film Festival, so I had no expectations, just hopes. "Gigante" did not let me down.I loved the dark/dry humor that you catch glimpses of through its minimal dialogue, which keeps you guessing about how this quirky love story will unfold. Don't let the film's slow-pace fool you though... this story was like a puzzle I was dying to solve, so I payed close attention to the clues that get sprinkled throughout; I was never bored and the comical bombs that are dropped every now and again definitely keep you alert and entertained. I loved this film!
November 24, 2010
This is not a move to watch if you are seeking to be entertained, however that is what makes it good in my opinion. It is not a typical formula movie, as it follows some pretty ordinary people who work at a wal-mart type store in Montevideo, Uruguay, and specifically a night-shift-security guard who develops a crush on one of the night-cleaners by watching her over the security cameras, and then semi-stalking her for months before ever developing the courage to actually talk to her face to face. I can relate to this character somewhat, as sometimes it is much easier to live in your own mind with a fantasy idea of what a relationship or a person you have a crush on is (although it is really just an idea in one's mind and nothing more), than it is to actually meet that person and realize its all just an illusion in your head. That goes for places too, actually, the idea that a place or a person can fulfill you, or help you to be more "fully yourself." Well, that was a long review, check out the movie!
November 21, 2010
A solid movie, the plot is rather simple but works perfectly well, great directing and acting. I was really moved by the story.