Gigot - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gigot Reviews

½ January 2, 2017
Gigot is a movie directed by Gene Kelly and starring Jackie Gleason.
There is a certain feeling of good intention with the movie project even if the ultimate result is not very good
Gleason plays the non-speaking title character. He is the town fool in this sort of Hollywood version of an in-the-past French town. Gigot perhaps is somewhat related to Gleason's recurring TV sketch character The Poor Soul who was also silent.

I say a feeling of good intention because I think that both Gene Kelly, born in 1912, and Gleason, born in 1916, must've been pretty impressed early on as children watching the Golden Age of silent film the late 1920's and were, with Gigot, trying to recreate the magical special nature of pantomime cinema. The problem is that the movie doesn't work.

Why? First of all I think they chickened out. This is not a silent movie. Only Gigot is silent and since he doesn't speak while everyone else does he come of as a disabled man. This is a problem in scenes of teasing and abuse from the speaking townies. Yes, this establishes some pathos, but it just seems too cruel when they trick him into getting drunk for their amusement. The scenes are only cruel, the comedy in the practically undetectable. Gigot just isn't funny. Attempts at solo silent bits just fall flat. It is as if neither director nor star can come up with a few minutes of something funny to do. Ok, so he's not funny. So maybe the movie isn't supposed to be funny. That is fine, but if that is so at least we need something to engage our viewing interest. To that end, I suppose, they have added a sort of love story. Gigot loves a woman with a daughter around 8 or 10 years old. So he loves the girl too. Like he gets a Chaplin-like remote love object as well as a child, like Coogan's The Kid. But the acting girl in this is not Jackie Coogan and the woman gives no indication of and interest in Gigot and actually is very nasty to him. So that doesn't work either.

Gleason was pretty hot as an actor right then, or about to be. And I big TV star. The movie was shot between The Hustler and Requiem for a Heavyweight. It could have just been that he was way too busy to put a lot of thought or effort into the movie. And the studio might have forced the talking characters on them, refused to finance a totally silent movie.

With all the teasing, very remote love object, and his appearance, Gigot is really a sort of Quasimodo in The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
There are chase scenes toward the end. The movie is just not good. Bland.
February 18, 2014
With a stellar performance from Gleason and a gut-wrenching plot, this picture will be sure to leave you crying at the end if you have a soul.
½ February 17, 2014
"Written and directed by Gleason,this film is heartwrenching and funny,poignant and touching.
½ November 20, 2013
A beautiful passion piece from Jackie Gleason that he actually wrote, acted & scored for. The story of this oaf & his unlikely friendship with a prostitutes daughter

Full of charm & the strong filmmaking talent of Gene Kelly this film soars. This is such a likeable film that just simply makes you smile.

Gigot is such an interesting character to watch on screen & his interaction with everyone in his French Town is so innocent & interesting.
August 18, 2010
You can't help but love "The Great One" in this movie!
½ November 11, 2009
this was a movie I remember seeing with my mom and brother, and even at a young age, was moved by this story. Jackie Gleason isn't my favorite celeb, however, he is as gigot! it's a great family flick, old school style!
flixsterman
July 19, 2009
Jackie Gleason gives a heart-wrenching performance as a kind, mute janitor who befriends a little girl in the slums of Paris. Written by Gleason himself as a tribute to his idol, Charlie Chaplin, Gleason was himself so honored when William H. Macy reprised the role of Gigot in a made-for-TV movie called The Wool Cap [2004].
½ July 4, 2009
Great performance from The Great One. A little self indulgent, a vanity project, maybe, but Gleason pulls off the role. Jackie gives great face. Everyone else in the movie, including a poorly used Albert Remy, is best when they react wordlessly to Gleason's mute. Emotional score probably helped tattoo this movie on my brain when I was a kid. I'd own this one.
½ June 20, 2009
Jackie is a mute. This is a great unknown flick. Check it out!

A great unknown movie. Try it and you will like it.
½ March 13, 2009
a heart warming story of a mute and the little girl of a dead prostitute.
December 17, 2008
Jackie Gleason could act and it shows here in the heartwarming story.
September 10, 2008
great little flick back from the '60s, showcasing Gleason's talent as a writer/performer and Kelly's eye for directing.
½ August 12, 2008
"How sweet it is" to watch this movie again!
July 4, 2008
The best of Jackie Gleason in a movie about "ugly" people with good hearts overcoming true evil.
June 30, 2008
I just couldn't help but be sad when I watched this.
½ June 27, 2008
This is a great movie
June 1, 2008
Gleason is great in this.
March 24, 2008

Jackie Gleason plays a deaf mute,who befriends the neglected little daughter of a french prostitute.What an incredible role for Gleason to show his talent for acting-facial expressiveness and body language alone-stellar.
February 17, 2008
Jackie Gleaseon really pours on the charm in this one. Your heart will break then smile with joy in this genius film.
January 28, 2008