Gin gwai (The Eye) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gin gwai (The Eye) Reviews

½ February 6, 2017
So much better than the American remake. Also surprisingly underrated film on rotten tomatoes.
½ May 9, 2016
'What would it be like to learn to see' is such an interesting question that the ghosts are really just an extra bonus. Some of them are cool and really scary. Some really nice shots.
½ January 13, 2016
Decent, if not formulaic Asian ghost flick. Weird to say, but I think the remake was a bit more effective...
April 25, 2015
Gritty, atmospheric, and scary are what this spine tingling horror film is. With foreboding sequences of terror this film makes you jump out of you're skin. The Pang Brothers are sure masters of art.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
Another horror flick and its much the same as the grudge , the ring and other similar ones. Story is about a blind girl that get her eyes fixed with a transplation and it works but she can see other things now that no one else can.. I thought it should be more scarier or maybe i have just get used to it from the other flicks but its a decent horror movie overall. There is a new american remake out there now aswell but hardly any better.
½ October 6, 2014
Well-made, respectable ghost story that's good enough to string viewers along with some modest interest. Suffers from some odd tonal shifts and covers familiar ground, but delivers honorable results. Hardly a must see, but your time won't be wasted here either.
September 5, 2014
Not many scares if that's what you're looking for. And you'll keep questioning all its' happenings until the last bit of the movie.
½ August 13, 2014
One of the most effective piece in HK Cinema in the last decade.
July 5, 2014
Pretty amateur, vissually boring and tiring, but with the classic and outstanding asian kind of story and scares that make it special. It suffers greatly from some acting, pacing, and overall visuial afare, but thankfully the story and the influence of asian culture make it feel like a little more than just another average horror. Just a little though.
April 14, 2014
Now THIS is a scary movie!!!!!
November 3, 2013
Much better and more creepy than the American version.
½ October 29, 2013
The Eye has do go down as a bit of a disappointment for me. The drama is rarely engaging. In fact the production is frequently too corny to really compliment any dramatic payoff that the film-makers might be attempting. To succeed in a story which lacks originality anyway there needs to be something to recommend it. That something is not present here.
½ October 7, 2013
(Halloween 2013 Review #2)
"Conventional ghost tale with a few genuine scares" ha ha, really, who is writing this SHIT? Conventional? Maybe narratively, otherwise these RT guys need to find a new job--or see more horror movies.
June 14, 2013
Maybe if I'd seen this before I saw the Alba version my review would be different. The story is good and involving, but to me it's more of a thriller than a horror. I found nothing scary, creepy, spooky or even mildly frightening here. The effects are low-key and minimal. There is very little build-up of tension. Not as impressed with it as others who recommended it to me, but it is worth watching.
½ June 5, 2013
Esta es la película definitiva para ser apreciada únicamente en el cine. Por fortuna yo tube la oportunidad de verla asi, y me estremecio, y es que si la ven en la tele la pelicula pasa sin pena ni gloria, pero en una sala de cine a oscuras y con el sonido envolvente que parece que los fantasmas estan junto a ti definitivamente es algo memorable, Todo en ella esta pensado para impactar al espectador desde su butaca, los efectos, el sonido. Desde El inicio la imagen parece que se quema como si hubiera ocurrido algo con el proyector, luego del intro unas manos gigantes se ven en la pantalla en blanco como sí una mujer gigante estuviera detrás de la pantalla y la empujara. Que gran efecto. Sólo lamento no entender el idioma original para así haberla podido disfrutar al 100%.
May 5, 2013
Extremely forgettable.
½ March 23, 2013
One of the best Asian horror movies I've seen.
March 12, 2013
A typical ghost story but has one of the scariest scenes of all time.
½ December 30, 2012
Predictable, occasionally interesting. I don't get the Japanese horror hype.