Girl 6 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Girl 6 Reviews

½ April 26, 2016
Unemployed actress takes on a phone sex job in this amusing but flawed dramedy from Spike Lee.
February 9, 2016
first movie I've seen dealing with then 'new' thang-phone sex
February 15, 2015
I liked this movie a lot. Also just good to see such a diverse cast and so many cameos!
½ January 23, 2015
Messy and uninteresting despite a fine soundtrack by Prince
December 18, 2014
A movie stacked with Prince music can't be all bad. Spike Lee actually wasn't annoying here.
½ December 11, 2014
It's a very average Joint as nothing really happens in the form of true plot points. It's a about an aspiring actress who finds talents in the phone sex business. Problem is nothing really happens besides that?
No real big plot ordeals or challenges in the film. It's just a Woman who works as a sex operator and we see very little insight to more in her life.
½ October 4, 2014

"This movie is gonna be big, bigger then big, huge, the greatest romantic African American film ever made. Directed by me, of course, told by the point of view, of a African American woman."-Director #1 N.Y. "Q.T." (Quentin Tarantino)
September 16, 2014
This movie is a mess. I'm not sure what it's trying to be.
½ April 28, 2014
Probably the blandest phone sex movie you'll ever see, thanks in large part (or maybe, no thanks) to Theresa Randle.
½ October 17, 2013
C'est sans doute surnoter Girl 6 que de lui donner une note si importante mais le film temoigne d'une reelle envie de nouveaute de la part de Spike Lee (qui realisait pour la premiere fois un film non tire d'un de ses scenarios) avec une mise en scene si originale et un casting si etonnant (Theresa Randle, premier role, y cotoie des habitues comme Isaiah Washington et des guests comme Quentin Tarantino ou Madonna) qu'on ne peut que saluer de telles tentatives de cinema. Dommage que le propos soit aussi vide.
December 7, 2012
Will have to watch this one. Not necassarily good or bad. Will see. Want to watch!
½ August 3, 2012
It was a good movie, I just didn't like the ending.
May 11, 2012
I really don't like Tarantino casting/acting!!!
That's a shame on Quentin. Before this he was Cool in my mind...
The movie is not that awful as it seems in the end.
½ May 9, 2012
The thing that stuck out most to me in this film is that we see a VERY young Naomi Campbell. Plus it's a fun movie.
April 5, 2012
I tell you, the things we do to make it in this world; Anyhow, Theresa Randle plays this actress who won't take off her clothes for a role, but due to short money ends up becoming a phone sex operator and becomes a success at it even though there is someone stalking her as well. Spike Lee's take is an interesting piece.
February 28, 2012
This may be the worst movie ever. I spent $7 on a ticket to this piece of crap, but 20 minutes into it, I feel it would have been less painful to jab my eyes with a rusty nail. I can't believe people actually liked it. But most people never even heard of it. Shows you what an impression it made.
January 14, 2012
One of Spikes best. Completely underrated.
November 21, 2011
I'd avoided this one for years, because I was wary about how Spike Lee might handle a film about a phone sex operator. When I realized that Suzan-Lori Parks wrote the screenplay, I gave it a look. Not surprised it did so poorly with audiences as it is surreal and fragmented as the most interesting of Parks's work is. Theresa Randle is excellent in the lead. Not consistently good as a satire of gender expectations, but has its compelling moments.
April 18, 2011
A mixed bag. But once again, the critics miss the mark. I don't see it as voyeur or male fantasy, both in the way in which the male callers were shot and Randle's performance. It wasn't about sex, you dolts, it was about the need for connection.

As for the claim about the girl falling down the elevator shaft being a blatant representation of Girl 6s own descent, that again is incorrect, or at least incomplete. Much like the She Hate Me subplot with the whistleblower, it's commentary on how black people are memorialized, or ARE NOT, via media and history and its implications on a modern-day struggling actress whose story and struggle is almost always ignored.
February 1, 2011
After nearly a decade of heavy, preachy urban films like She's Gotta Have It (1986), Do the Right Thing (1989) and Jungle Fever (1991). Spike Lee decided to do something different, a very adult film by playwright Suzan-Lori Parks. There's something very offbeat and quirky about this film, but it's frank, humourous depiction of phone sex keeps the film on it's feet. It has aspiring actress Judy (Theresa Randle), who refuses to strip for Quentin Tarantino during an audition, despite the promising sound of the film. Her agent (John Turturro) drops her, and Judy's acting coach (Susan Batson) isn't happy either. Juggling several different jobs, Judy takes a job at a "friendly phone line", she takes a liking to her boss Lil (Jenifer Lewis), and the "friendly phone line" turns out to be a sex phone chat line. She begins the job as "Girl 6", and uses her acting talents to great use throughout this job. She becomes popular with regular callers, however, she comes to trust them just a little too much, and this takes it's toll mentally on Judy and begins a decent into a nervous breakdown. It's got some good dialogue and movie references throughout. Lee lightened up with this one, and he should try something like this again, plus, it has a great soundtrack of songs by Prince, and cameos from Naomi Campbell, Halle Berry, Ron Silver and Madonna.