The Girl Can't Help It - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Girl Can't Help It Reviews

April 15, 2017
I want to see this for its early rock performances.
½ September 28, 2016
Jayne Mansfield is at her glamorous best in this film, which includes a heavy dose of rock and roll throughout, (probably to make it just about feature length), but the comedy surrounding the 'blonde bimbo' is worthy.
½ May 28, 2016
I'm a sucker for director Frank Tashlin's goofy colorful comedies. Tashlin got his start direction Loony Tunes cartoons and his aesthetic really didn't change for movies. His comedies are loud, brash and usually quite over-the-top. In this film Tom Ewell spots Jayne Mansfield and works to make her a star, except that her gangster boyfriend has other ideas. The film features a lot of early rock n rollers, like Fats Domino, Gene Vincent, Little Richard, Eddie Cochran and others. You also get Julie London singing her hit song "Cry Me a River" in her film debut. Overall, this is a pretty inconsequential film, but it's still a pretty entertaining one. One way you could argue that this film was of significance is that a young Paul McCartney and John Lennon snuck into this film and McCartney reported that the films' many of the rock n roll musical numbers had a major influence on him and Lennon. One other side note, whenever I hear this film's theme song, I don't think of Mansfield turning heads. I think of Divine turning the heads of unsuspecting Baltimore residents in "Pink Flamingos."
April 30, 2016
for an older movie it kept my attention.
½ February 26, 2013
A gangster hires a theatrical agent to make his girlfriend a singing star. This movie has two good points and they are Jayne Mansfield. The film contains many performaces by 1950s era rock and rollers Little Richard, Fats Domino, The Platters and many others. Throw in numerous instances of bawdy sexual innuendo and slapstick gangster humor makes this film a fast paced musical-comedy.
January 2, 2013
a great example of camp-a pix that is so bad its good.
½ December 22, 2012
Top5 rock & roll film.
September 11, 2012
It was ok. The music was the big hit. Jayne was beautiful, but it was a very silly move and role. I didn't know she died at 34 in a car crash, and that semi trucks must now have bars at the back of the truck (also called Mansfield bar) to prevent cars from going under semis in a crash, until I looked her up while watching the movie. :(
July 8, 2012
My GAWD! is this film fun! Easily it's one of the best Rock 'N Roll Musicals coming out of the late 50's, having style, witty humor and tremendous acting. As well as being a clear Influence on Woody Allen's 1993 Bullets Over Broadway.
April 24, 2012
Directed by former animation director Frank Tashlin (maybe the Brad Bird/Andrew Stanton of his day), he created a good timepiece of the 1950's, when rock music was topping the charts and a whole new generation was on it's way in, and he responded to this new craze with this light, bubbly and amusing comedy, which has a great soundtrack to it's name. It's got a simple straight-forward plot, which has struggling agent Tom Miller (Tom Ewell), being hired by gangster Marty 'Fats' Murdoch (Edmond O'Brien), whom he knew years earlier, to make a star out of his girlfriend Jerri Jordan (Jayne Mansfield), trouble is, she can't sing and she's more interested in being a housewife, but Murdoch and Miller won't give in, and even Murdoch has written a song that Jerri could put her one big talent to. Director Tashlin used to do cartoons for Warner Bros. and there's parts of this that feel like a live-action cartoon, but it's good witty dialogue and it's well shot, but the main highlights are the musical performances from acts of the day like Little Richard, Eddie Fontaine, Julie London, Gene Vincent and the Blue Caps and Fats Domino, that punctuate the film and look beautiful in Cinemascope and Deluxe. A product of it's time, proud of it, and it'll never date.
½ March 17, 2012
Fairly boring comedy spiked with '50's rock and roll acts, granted an extra half-a-star by me for the dynamic color and sets. Truly, the interview with John Waters that followed the movie on this DVD was far funnier. Jayne Mansfield is sweet, but grotesque, and it is sad to see Edmond O'Brien sink so low. Tom Ewell is charged with making Mansfield into a star by gangster O'Brien, but falls for her himself. Ho hum.
½ February 29, 2012
Light hearted and cute. May offend feminists of today but honestly, it's a funny and heartwarming chick flick from back in the day. Jayne Mansfield not the best actress, but it's not the worst :)
November 9, 2011
A story about music, love, and marriage

A talent agent is contacted by the local mob and informed that he will turn a beauty into a star. He reluctantly takes on the project but as he gets to know the beauty he is inspired to help her reach her goals; however, as he gets to know her he realizes her goals do not match the gangster's vision. Can the talent agent accomplish both their goals, the beauty's and the gangsters?

"She's just a girl."
"If she's a girl I don't know what my sister is."

Frank Tashlin, director of Caprice, Marry Me Again, Hollywood or Bust, The First Time, Susan Slept Here, and The Glass Bottom Boat, delivers The Girl Can't Help It. The storyline for this picture is a bit slow initially but gains steam as Jayne Mansfield is more and more involved in the picture. The script is solid and the cast delivers solid performances and includes Mansfield, Tom Ewell, Edmond O'Brien, Julie London, and Juanita Moore.

"Put it on my tab."
"If I can find room."

My wife DVR'd this picture when she discovered it starred a young Jayne Mansfield that we both feel is an underrated actress. This film was fairly cliché until Mansfield took the film over and gave it pizzazz and direction as well as a larger than life character. She was truly stunning but also fantastic at her craft. This movie is definitely worth your time.

"Pretty is just how good you apply the base."

Grade: B+/A-
July 31, 2011
Je l'ai vu c'est bon la musique est bonne et la Jane Mansfiel est surprenante!
July 26, 2011
Thought this was quite poor which is a shame as Jayne Mansfield is much better than this. She plays a bimbo girlfriend of a gangstar who wants her to be a star. Trouble is she can't sing so relys on her looks to get by. That's the plot in a nutshell and although its supposed to be a comedy the humour ghas dated quite badly and its a little offensive today. It has an amazing soundtrack of some of the greatest 50s stars and really that's all that can be said for it.
June 14, 2011
It's more clever than consistently funny. Yet, Tashlin manic formalism and cartoonish satire makes it enjoyable.
June 14, 2011
Jayne's best film and her assets are put to good use. The music is great. 1950's sultry symbol Julie London sings Cry Me A River
½ November 14, 2010
It's the old story of the gangster who wants his girl to be a star that's the plot for this movie, and it's a very funny plot. Together with good actors and a rock soundtrack, this is a great movie, I loved it.
October 6, 2010
5 stars for most of the music. But the rest of the film is dire. if LITTLE RICHARD is singing his most classic version of READY TEDDY, i DO NOT want talking and the camera pointing elsewhere! This film has short clips of Gene Vincent, The Platters, Fats Domino etc in their PRIME....but it's all wasted by having them only sing seconds of their songs on camera! It's just NOT Rock n Roll baby.