Girl Crazy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Girl Crazy Reviews

½ July 18, 2015
Without a doubt the best of the Garland-Rooney MGM musicals, and their last film in which they starred together; great Gershwin score (from the Broadway musical) is a joy to hear, topped by Judy's "But Not for Me," and the Busby Berkeley-staged finale to "I Got Rhythm."
½ July 29, 2014
(First and only viewing - 11/8/2010)
½ August 14, 2013
Mickey Rooney holds the record for having the longest film career in the history of actors. From his film debut at the age of 6, during the silent era, Rooney was known for his musical and comedic talents and with his recent cameo appearance in the 2011 Muppets, Rooney continues to delight to this day. One of Rooney's most famous films are films where he teamed up with Judy Garland. They did several films together, and audiences adored them. Their final film was the musical comedy Girl Crazy, which is what I'm about to review. For me, it's a fun movie, but I found something lacking in it.

Mickey Rooney (who was 22 here) plays Danny Churchill Jr., a young playboy who loves to flirt with the women and make headlines. His father (Henry O'Neill), a respectable publisher, is fed up with the headlines, so he sends his son off to a Western college with no women, believing that his education will give up his ways. But Churchill Jr. ends up meeting Ginger Gray (Judy Garland), granddaughter of the school dean (Guy Kibbee) and mail deliverer, who desperately tries to avoid Churchill's charms. When the school is in danger of closing due to the lack of students, Danny and Ginger team up in a campaign to save the school by having a rodeo queen contest, which leads to jealousy.

Girl Crazy also features Frances Rafferty as Marjorie Tait, the governor's daughter who falls for Rooney's charm and jazz composer Tommy Dorsey appears in a couple musical numbers with his orchestra.

Well, in the first 20 minutes, I believed the film was going to be terrible. Despite Rooney's delightful presence, I was unimpressed with the juvenile humor (such as Rooney attempting to ride a horse) and believed the film was going to be a waste of time. But as the film progressed, the more entertaining it got. Mickey Rooney's charm and witty personality is very entertaining here. I was also impressed with Judy Garland. Her chemistry with Rooney is unforgettable, funny, and full of memorable humor. The film got loads funnier after that stupid horse scene.

Girl Crazy was filmed in black-and-white, and while I love the black-and-white format, especially in films like Frankenstein, To Kill a Mockingbird, Sunset Boulevard, Rebecca, and even in the musical crowd in films like Top Hat and Swing Time, here, I wanted the film to be in color. For one thing, a couple like Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland, some of the finest musical stars ever, should have been given the big treatment, which was color. Their beauty and screen presence would have been loads better had the film been in color. In black-and-white, the cinematography here was a bit dreary. Generally, I love the old black-and-white look, but in Girl Crazy, I was wanting some color to lighten up the dull cinematography.

But the good news is, the musical numbers are what makes Girl Crazy the fun film it is. The film opens with "Treat Me Rough", performed by June Allyson and Mickey Rooney, plus Tommy Dorsey's band, and the song was very enjoyable. Judy Garland then sings the ballad "Bidin' My Time" with The King's Men, and I was wowed by Garland's vocals and the harmonies, plus the slow moving choreography was impressive. Then, Rooney and Garland delight in the duet "Can You Use Me", which had some funny charisma coming from Rooney and some memorable choreography (Rooney climbing on top of Garland's car, for instance). Garland and a chorus of men then sing "Embraceable You", which delighted in Garland's beauty and beautiful harmonies (It would have been more impressive had it been filmed in Technicolor). Tommy Dorsey and the band play a number called "Fascinating Rhythm", featuring Rooney on the piano, and it was fun to experience. Garland then sings "But Not for Me", which delights in her wonderful singing talents. And in the finale, Rooney, Garland, Dorsey, and the rest of the cast perform "I Got Rhythm", filled with wonderful singing, amazing choreography, and impressive music. It's definitely the best number in the film and they clearly saved the best for last.

I was unimpressed by the juvenile humor in the beginning and the black-and-white cinematography was a bore (would have bee more stunning in color), but with wonderful choreography and musical numbers, plus the delightful chemistry between Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland, Girl Crazy was a fun film to watch.
½ June 10, 2012
WWII musical diversion
½ March 6, 2012
Girl Crazy is an entertaining film. It is about a rich kid who has a taste for wine, women, and song but not for higher education. Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland give excellent performances. The script is well written. Norman Taurog and Busby Berkeley did a great job directing the movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the romance. Girl Crazy is a must see.
August 5, 2011
Needs more Garland and less Rooney. He's all bad shtick and weird tics, while she gets saddled with an oddball pseudo slo-mo C&W number called "Biding My Time". Also, more Nancy Walker please, but that's always the case.
May 1, 2011
I defy anyone who doesn't at least like a Mickey Rooney & Judy Garland movie
½ June 10, 2010
Mickey Rooney was a bad choice for the male lead, but the Kewpie doll cartoons were cute. 'I always knew you were girl crazy. I was wrong...You're just crazy!'
½ September 27, 2009
Enjoyable fluff with a plot so predictable you'll be shaking your heard. BUT the score is by the incredible George and Ira Gershwin that is incredible. Judy looks lovely and her singing of "But Not For Me" will break your heart! A little bit of Mickey Rooney goes a long way, and here it is no exception, though he is a fine performer. Busby Berkley directing the "I Got Rhythm" segment and it is by far the highlight of the film.
½ September 26, 2009
This is such a fun musical comedy. The teaming of Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney is always a delight. They make such a great pairing. Lively, entertaining with some great songs, and Judy singing too!
½ January 5, 2009
This one is tied with Strike Up the Band as my favorite Rooney/Garland pairing. Mickey and Judy always had a lot of great chemistry together, but I think they really shone particularly brightly in this one. And as an added bonus, there were lots of really great songs.
½ December 20, 2008
Ok. By now I'm tired of the old plot. Although Judy does get to laugh at him . . .
June 10, 2008
It was okay-I still have a lot of trouble buying Mickey Rooney as some irresistible ladies' man but Judy is amazing and the Gershwin score is tops. I did not really like the finale which has been praised-I thought it was way over the top even for Berkeley.
May 27, 2008
"I got Rhythm" the best movies ever
January 24, 2008
Aparently there are two versions of this movie. I think I saw the earlier one, but it's not on here, so I'm rating this one. I love the cowboy scenes.
½ November 11, 2007
This one is pretty bland compared to their other films. Then we get to the finally and Berkley knocks your fucking socks off. Such a shame he got bounced from this picture. Rooney and Garland were one of the few pairs that could match the energy of Berkelys style. Half a star goes for the finally.
October 22, 2007
I just love any Mickey rooney moie he's too funny
July 24, 2007
Love Love Love Love Love this movie!!!
½ June 11, 2007
Judy Garland is hilarious and charming in this movie. It's very interesting to see the beginning of June Allyson's film premiere, not to mention the random two-second appearance of Peter Lawford.
½ April 4, 2007
light and breezy, even mickey isn't too noxious