Girl Model - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Girl Model Reviews

June 7, 2016
Disgusting self promotion of the recruiter.... Sorry about your fibroids, but you pt hundreds of adolescent girls on a stage in bikini to be judged then sent them to Tokyo away for their families for nothing. This should be a study in child exploitation.
January 20, 2016
absolutely disturbing, the woman scout quite clearly has some deep underlying psychological issues, I wasn't sure whether I watching a modelling documentary or a child sex trafficking documentry, absolutely disgusting and extremely creepy
November 1, 2015
Although the film may offer elements of reality in the modeling world, no one dares speak up about how evil it is for young girls. Being sought out as prepubescent youth, offered a future of judgement, starvation, discrimination and pressures that no teen (boy or girl) needs. Why not recruit young women for educational opportunities, to provide a real future that won't leave them with eating disorders, depression and no opportunity. That's the reality. The filmmakers were too chicken shit to find someone who would actually admit, "this is b.s. what we do to these girls." and the main female narrator was a disgusting, evil woman seeking money. How about a film that shows the realities, including the devastation and misservice these agencies provide in the long run. THUMBS WAY WAY DOWN. The narrator lady even admits she doesn't care about the girls. She just wants the money.
½ December 2, 2014
A candid, pensive look into a disturbing industry told through the eyes of the models themselves.
½ October 8, 2014
Incredibly sad documentary on the exploitation of Ukranian teenage girls in modeling abroad. Everyone seems to be making money except the girls themselves, and what makes the film even more sad is that the American scout who helps to identify and send these girls abroad was herself a young model who was taken advantage of as well.
May 26, 2014
Rather dull. I think we all realize this industry is horrible and takes advantage of young girls, and I was hoping for more from this doc. I think with docs, sometimes you get a good person to follow and other times they just don't turn out to be be that interesting.
May 26, 2014
The modeling industry disgusts me, and this documentary is a good illustration of why. Having said that, this is actually pretty interesting, albeit not easy to watch.
May 24, 2014
I try to stay open to things I watch. Maybe if I was into modeling or knew someone that modeled for a living then this would be interesting. Boring.
May 23, 2014
Never would my child be allowed to model after this. Not that I have child nor am I having one so do not start the rumors lol. Pretty dark documentary.
½ April 17, 2014
Don't understand that woman (Ashley). Those girls are being exploited and she acts as if she's got nothing to do with it.
½ March 27, 2014
It showed the truth of being in the modelling industry. Wouldn't watch again.
½ January 23, 2014
Fairly disturbing documentary about young (way young) models scouted from their homes in Siberia and sent to Japan to model. -apparently the Japanese market likes young girls. Our main subject here is13. The girls are basically owned by their agency, waiting around in tiny,crappy apartments to go on shoots completely shut off due to the language barrier and a lack of cash. Ultimatly they will be sent home if they gain any weight or inches as outlined in their contract (um puberty!) Its very sad because the girls and their families think that they've won the lottery but in reality I saw it as just another form of trafficking. The scout who finds these girls is a former model and apparently hates the business but that doesn't stop her from exploiting them and living in a fancy house in America.03.13
November 16, 2013
Girl Model es un documental que explora el lado oscuro del modelaje, a través de los ojos las modelos, pero también de los scouts que son responsables de toda esta explotación. Nadya es una niña de Siberia, donde el negocio del modelaje es visto como la salida de la pobreza, y estas jóvenes se ven presionadas a audicionar en competencias, y ganar el anhelado contrato, y son enviadas a países como Japón, donde les prometen grandes sumas de dinero. Ashley, una de las muchos scouts en esa parte del mundo, las examina, y finalmente decide si son adecuadas para el trabajo. Este ticket para salir de Siberia es visto como ganarse la lotería, pero al ser las jóvenes tan ingenuas, al igual que sus familias, no se imaginan en lo que se están metiendo. Este documental realmente es perturbador, porque creemos que el modelaje es un mundo glamoroso, pero sobretodo para estas menores de edad, no es mas que un negocio donde la explotación es la norma. Se aprovechan de las necesidades monetarias, pero ni siquiera en eso se ven beneficiadas, porque algunas de estas modelos regresan a estas pequeñas ciudades con grandes deudas, y empeoran su situación. La scout Ashley, que por cierto solía ser modelo, es una persona claramente inestable, que usa su posición para hacer ganancias a costa de esta situación desafortunada. Este es un documental deprimente, pero que es necesario verlo para realmente entender que pasa detrás de escena en el mundo del modelaje.
½ October 15, 2013
The world of modeling is not always as glamorous as you think.
½ September 7, 2013
Girl Model (Sabin & Redmon): Docu that shows the unglamorous side of the modeling industry where youth is both a boon and a bane.
September 1, 2013
Disturbing but realistic inside into modeling world. Must see for all the glamour and fame seeking girls.
August 24, 2013
Cautionary tale of the pitfalls (dangers) of following your dreams.
August 10, 2013
Overall really intriguing and a good documentary by the producers about what is essentially child labour trafficking. I thought Ashley Arbaugh was really boring. What was the relevance of her cyst removal? She is pretty much hyprocritical and couldn't care less about the girls. I was so disappointed that those girls were not picked up at the airport given that they were so young? Have the film makers and more importantly, these so called reputable "Caring" (bullshit) agencies have even a heart because I certainly saw no compassion. They treated these beautiful (inside and outside) girls with so much disrespect and coldness. To Ashley, you said in the film you want children, if you had a daughter and things were different and you weren't so fortunate, just imagine your own daughter in their situation? How would you feel?
July 25, 2013
5 stars just because the girls' stories need told. :(
½ July 16, 2013
This is so boring and pointless. The story has absolutely no reason for existing and the people this is about are not worth watching at all.