Girl Model - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Girl Model Reviews

½ July 8, 2013
I can see how this was supposed to be a scathing documentation of the deplorable practices of some so-called modeling agencies, but it seemed to lack focus, including a lot of extra elements to pad the run time. The "conclusion" drawn from watching was too subtle and yet too obvious at the same time.
½ July 1, 2013
Its almost like the women who don't make the first cut are the lucky ones.
June 29, 2013
The fashion industry is the most amoral business in the world. Fascinating documentary.
½ June 26, 2013
Ewww boring what tip of movie is this !!! š???š???š???š???ā??š???š???š??±š??²š?? š??³š???
June 16, 2013
Good, but could have been much better.
½ June 4, 2013
Favoring insinuation over investigation, the documentary āGirl Modelā? is as much a tease as the profession it portrays. Dipping into a very specific corner of the modeling industry ā" the search for fresh Russian faces to feed the seemingly insatiable Japanese appetite for prepubescent-looking clotheshorses ā" David Redmon and Ashley Sabinā(TM)s film presents an international transaction sustained by the twin forces of illusion and delusion.

It Takes Two to Fight Over a Documentary (April 29, 2012)
Representing the product is Nadya, a sweet Siberian country girl whose 13-year-old features have barely advanced beyond fetal. Occupying the profiteer role is her creepy agent (āIā(TM)m trying to save all these young girlsā?) and his shadowy Japanese counterpart. Linking all three is Ashley Arbaugh, a troubled scout and former model who despises the business yet willingly sends Nadya and her kind to Tokyo with neither chaperon nor fluency in Japanese.

Unlovely in ways far beyond its on-the-fly cinematography, āGirl Modelā? nevertheless exerts a queasy magnetism. Watching Ms. Arbaugh position two baby dolls on her couch (āI had three, but I dissected oneā?) and display her special box filled with snapshots of modelsā(TM) appendages, the film tilts toward surreal horror. And when she comments obliquely on prostitution among models and hints at the dubious preferences of an agent, the stench of human trafficking is impossible to ignore.

That stink, like iffy contracts and child labor laws, remains unexplored. Filled with blind eyes and unspoken agreements, āGirl Modelā? opens a can of worms, then disdains to follow their slimy trails.
May 27, 2013
Reality of the modeling world is sad. Especially when you are a young girl with a dream.
May 26, 2013
A revealing documentary showing the behind the scenes of a sad and stupid industry.
May 26, 2013
Disturbing. Just disturbing.
May 20, 2013
frightening heart breaking truth behind Russian modeling in Japan
May 1, 2013
It's on Netflix. Watch it. Every adult in this film is a predator of one sort or another, with the narrator/codirector/former model being the worst of them all. Just an utterly loathsome character, chock full of... sociopathology? Someone help me out here. If you can watch the scene where she shows us her babies without an audible "What. The. Fuck.," I will pay you cash money.

A complete indictment of the modeling industry. How it flew so far under the radar is beyond me.
April 21, 2013
interesting, to me personally. but didn't quite no what to make of it.
½ April 18, 2013
Girl Model is a disturbing trend going in Japan. Something that truly doesn't resonate at all and the obsession of a specific face but also the age is just ridiculous. You can tell this girls are not even emotionally prepare but also the empty promises they make for them. Its a wake up call for them but also the families and how this model agencies are a scam.

Now the female who is a model scout has narcissist characteristics. It went from following the girls on how she has psychological issues. Something must had happened to her in her modeling career, to be obsess with babies, living in a glass clear house, and being obsessed with the girls feet&body. She talks about how the modeling world is such a dark place, but than she plays the role of feeding that darkness. You can tell it has consumed her mentally&emotionally.
April 14, 2013
Great documentary on the exploitation of innocence and adolescence. Opportunistic parents selling their children into slave mills that are only concerned with the superficiality of life or caring parents truly wanting to help their children? Professional model agencies or predators? Are you a professional or predator when you acquire an adolescent of legal age but she must look much younger than her actual legal age to gain employment? If neither then what are you? You watch and be the judge. The calculated, cold and cavalier attitude of these real individuals made me wish this was fiction, but it is far from it. Gripping, disturbing and contemplative.
½ April 8, 2013
Brilliant and terrifying. Great glimpse into a world I knew damn near nothing about.
April 7, 2013
A very fascinating film that shows the raw fear, confusion, and judgement that goes on in the modeling industry.
April 5, 2013
I like this only because it was eye-opening and makes me realize how much crap there is around the world. I cannot believe this Ashley, recruiter, can look at herself in the mirror each day. She even lies over and over about how Japan will promise these girls job but yet they come home and debt. Ashley even talks on the subject of these girls being in prostitution and to me that is just wrong. She wants children so is she going to put her daughter through this stuff as well? Is she willing to let her children go into prostitution if they can't make it as a model? I am just beside myself...
½ March 14, 2013
Definitely interesting but disturbing.
½ January 29, 2013
I liked this. It shows you the unpleasant truth of the modeling industry without holding much back. A bit scary, but I liked the honesty.
January 1, 2013
Super, super, triple-duper creepy and disturbing.