Girl on a Motorcycle (1968) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Girl on a Motorcycle (1968) Reviews

October 31, 2015
There's no getting around the fact that The Girl on a Motorcycle is an absolute mess, a bizarre collection of vague stabs at social commentary that don't coalesce into anything cohesive (touching on topics like female agency, anti-war sentiment, the nature of relationships, etc.) and exploitative shots of Faithful's breasts. The outdated special effects work in an entirely different way that they were intended to, gorgeous with their formless psychedelic colors but completely hilarious in their pointlessness, and the horrible dubbing only adds to the film's unintentional hilarity. Yes, this is a nonsensical amalgamation of half-baked ideas and technicolor scenery, but it also features Alain Delon looking beautiful on a motorcycle, rightfully playing a character meant to represent the physical manifestation of desire; as dumb, cheesy fun, it works.
½ April 24, 2014
The movie promises nothing and it delivers.
November 18, 2013
A disappointingly aimless execution of a really intriquing premise. The potential for an engaging character study is bogged down by simplistic freudian angst and a very droning narration from the ex miss jagger. Direction from the great cinematographer Jack Cardiff seriously lacks structure and even though its well shot, there are only sparse moments where the story goes to places which justify its otherwise tiring psychadellia.
March 4, 2013
I can watch this movie...EvERYday.She so Much like Meeeeee!!!!!!!
½ January 29, 2013
Like an overlong, trippy Harley Davidson advert from 1968, this film has almost nothing going for it. The motorbike scenes are occasionally well shot, but are more often from the back of a trailer or with laughably upright back projection. It's never really offensive, never boring, just not really about anything. Seemingly, this film is all about rebellion and angst, but the 'crazy' fondue night was the nearest it ever came to adventure. It seems to want to be a Euro 'Easy Rider' for girls, but totally misses the point. I only managed to watch half of it and I wanted to turn it off after 10 mins. 3/10
August 26, 2012
one of the hottest flicks of all time.
January 26, 2012
Wonderful a classic of eurotrash cinema!
September 9, 2011
Although I love the motorcycle angle of this love affair story, the rest of it is predictable and Faithfull isn't the greatest actress, she's pretty, but boring. Delon is the same, he's hot, but you don't get to know his character well enough, and he's pretty boring. Then there's all this crazy psychedelia going on with dreams and flashbacks or something that isn't really clear. Overall, it's okay, but there was so much more that they could have done with this movie.
August 2, 2010
I want uncensored version, full stop.
½ May 25, 2010
Any given frame of this film is better than the movie as a whole.

Today, filmmakers pay big money for narration by Marianne Faithfull--as well they should. This movie, however, would have been better with a great deal less of it. In fact, this film probably would have been a great deal more enjoyable as a five-minute short.

Instead, we are given a young Faithfull spouting obvious, vacuous and annoying pop-psych for 90 minutes over visuals that, over time, come to feel just as monotonous. Does the film really think it's as smart as it seems to? Does it really think its obvious symbols and scenarios need to be explained, let alone ad nauseum? Unlikely, but it is still unable to muster enough camp appeal to be much more than a complete bore.

That said, there is a whole lot of genuine pretty to be found on screen. The settings are all gorgeous, as are Faithfull and Alain Delon. (Neither turns in one of their best performances, but those are two exceptionally high bars.) Had they simply walked through the woods naked and silently throughout the duration of the film, we would have had a more enjoyable movie.
December 27, 2009
Highly stylish though dated Cardiff film does feel like a time capsule from '68 and has the whole free love feel to it. The film is focused to much on style and not enough on getting the message out quick enough. The picture focuses on the adventures of a young British girl who can not decide between the man she is engaged to or the man she lust after. Time old tale looks good but leaves you with the feeling was all of this for nothing?
June 27, 2009
I did like parts of this film, but essentially it's pretentious 60's camp. At times it aspires to be an art house "Easy Rider", but falls short. "Girl On a Motorcycle" has a certain value as psuedo-intellectual exploitation, and it's very dated psychedelic sequences give it a 'time capsule' quality.

I can't really fault the filmmakers too much. It was a flimsy premise from the get-go, and they made the most of the one good thing they had- their lead. They captured Marianne Faithfull at the peak of her beauty. The footage of her riding along England's countryside in her skintight leather catsuit is at times breathtaking, and definitely worth the price of this film.

Marianne would soon undergo an total transformation, drugs curing her voice into the aural equivalent of cracked leather. But here's she still a dewey "angel with big tits", albeit a fallen one. Her performance is perfectly respectable, although not approaching the skill of her title role in "Irina Palm". But she looks stunning, and that's really all that matters. I mean, this was released in the U.S. with the title, "Naked Under Leather". Let's be realistic. Most of "Girl On a Motorcycle"'s success was due to the riveting performance of Ms. Faithfull's leather-clad curves.

Alain Delon (who is onscreen for about 30 min., despite getting top billing) is a beautiful creep, as always.

For the average viewer, I wouldn't recommend this. But for people into 60's counterculture curios, and fans of Marianne Faithfull (her music or her tits), I'd say this is definitely worth a rent.
½ May 10, 2009
Meh. Marianne Faithfull was quite the hottie back in the day, though. I will say that.
½ September 30, 2008
Enjoyable and ambitiously stylized emancipation movie that has some unintentionally great and quotable, if overly ponderous, dialogue.
September 15, 2008
Hey terrorists advertising on posts! We're watch you!
July 10, 2008
Nainen, moottoripyora, Euroopan maantiet, seka 60-luvun psykedeliaa. Marianne Faithfullkin oli joskus kuuma tytto ja Alain Delon komeimpia ja karismaattisimpia miehia valkokankaalla koskaan. Mitaan ihmeellista talla ei kuitenkaan ole annettavana.
½ June 23, 2008
A typical 1960's "emancipatory" story about a girl returning to her lover that intercepts with flashbacks and psychedelic dream sequences. The focus is on looks instead of content which makes it a very dated film - not least because of the campy erotica. For fans of the period and of Ms. Faithfull only.
½ June 18, 2008
No not Michelle Pfeiffer again (see my review of Grease 2) but Marianne Faithfull in a weird 1960s movie.
May 28, 2008
fantastic feminist projection.
February 7, 2008
If you have ever passionately been in love with someone, but in a more simple institutional way connected to another then you will understand this character who runs to the lover. He brings her to life as would casting magic upon a puppet.