The Girl on the Train (La Fille du RER) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Girl on the Train (La Fille du RER) Reviews

½ February 21, 2011
Shallow drama. Andre has done much better. No fault, the actors. Story itself is delinquent. Too many writers. Blanc is terrific as always.
February 15, 2011
Deneuve and Dequenne are outstanding in this film which I quite enjoyed from that very first extended traveling shot in which we were the train, inside the tunel, speeding fast towards that light we're seeing at the end of it all. This is a fact-based film, and incredible at that, and its a terrific character study of Jeanne, a woman that's beautiful in her own different way and who lives with her mother, Louise, near a train track. Jeanne rides the train, she roller blades, she tries to get a job.

Then Jeanne meets Franck, a rough athlete that seduces her until they move in together, but then their relationship turns bad, and Jeanne ends up pretending she was the victim of an anti-Semitic attack. I said this was a story based on actual facts, the facts are ones that made news in 2004, about this woman who said she was the victim of an anti-Semitic attack by six African men who she said pulled her hair, slashed her clothes, made swastikas on her body and pushed over the stroller where her baby was.

You can see how these news would shock the world, the then-president of Frances, Jacques Chirac condemned the attack, Israeli authorities urged the Jews of France to leave to avoid further incidents like that. But then, the victim of the attack, who wasn't even Jewish, came forward saying that she had made up the whole thing.

The film doesn't focus on the political issues and further complications and extended consequences of this, Mr. Téchiné, with whom I share a first name, is a filmmaker that likes it better to explore more the emotions and psychological complexities beneath it all, he doesn't do it like a filmmaker that pretends to understand, he's just a filmmaker that likes to illustrate. The scenes in which Jeanne rollerblades to nowhere may seem as just that, but they also feel like much more.

Téchiné divides his film into two very distinct parts, the circumstances and the consequences, and he does a fine job exploring the story, introducing a Jewish family along the way. Yes, this is a fact-based story, but it doesn't focus on the lie, it focuses on the woman, on why she did why she did, on how much she wanted love, and on every thing else that can be read between the lines of the obvious things other filmmakers would have rather focused on, and in that way this one succeeds.

Grade: B
½ November 28, 2010
Slow burner. The characters are well formed but motivation of the girl remains obscure.
½ November 22, 2010
Es rara la historia, ni fu ni fa, ella no me gustó, el personaje no es creíble y para mi está mal armado!
½ November 7, 2010
This film is a mostly satisfying and illusive tale about the psychological knock-ons of trauma, media exploitation of controversy; and how itâ(TM)s easier to tell a lie than maintain it.

Jeanne is superb as a free spirit who unwisely reacts to a tragedy by inventing a situation which suggests she is the victim of a violent race-hate crime. And the big strength is the film's unwillingness to dish out easy answers.

That said i though it overrated given some of it's 4 star reviews. Film critics still seduced by Deneuve?
October 13, 2010
Good characters & story but I have to say it doesnt really go anywhere and seems a bit pointless.
½ September 29, 2010
Watched with English subtitles.
"When she lies, she is in her own world."
"She is quite rebellious, I would say."
Right there, I see another layer of the girl. Then she appears on her rollerblade. A close shot of her sliding on the street shows another meaning of "the girl on the train."
Subtle yet profound.
½ August 29, 2010
Conmovedora historia basada en hechos reales. Buen cine francés con Emile Dequenne como prota y con la siempre genial Catherine Denueve...
August 9, 2010
Intriguing story of a girl who is lost emotionally.
August 9, 2010
watched it out of discipline... and because of Mrs. Denueve who doesnt seem to age!
August 4, 2010
It was ok, the narrative was a little strange, didn't understand the parallels between the stories or indeed the point of the story.The main character was painted to be a liar but at very few points did we see her lie. Some nice shots but not a complete whole.
July 25, 2010
Ã?milie Dequenne is a great actress and I want to see more with her after seeing this. The story is based on true events, so the story is a bit more realistic and not all "Hollywooded" up. At times the score seems to be too dramatic than the scene calls for, but it doesn't really take away from the film.
July 22, 2010
I didn't like the way the script is written. It relates too many stories at the same time and loses the point of the main story: "a young woman who stunned France when she falsely claimed to be target of an Anti-Semitic attack." Well acted, bad direction and adaptation.
½ July 15, 2010
This film is the straight story of a girl who lied. The story as advertised concerns a young girl who fooled all of France into thinking she was attacked by crazed anti-semites. Techine, the director, could've downplayed this into a dull docudrama or exploited it as a media frenzy thriller. Instead he illustrates how the life of a girl in modern France could have led her to such a lie and how the modern liberal people who discover her lie dealt with it.

We see a widowed mother who can only advise her daughter and never steps into her way of doing things, a Jewish lawyer with a son and an on and off wife and a little son, all very educated and sophisticated, a confident boy bordering on aggressive that loves the girl (one of the juciest red herrings of the picture), and the girl herself always one step ahead of her own self as if fueled by blind compulsion. How the lives of these characters play out in this film is far more interesting than it having been a movie about the lie itself. When her faux-attack hits the presses the film rarely cuts to the media frenzy or to a dutiful reporter anxiously looking for her to crack her doubts about the story but instead shows these wise, world-weary and understanding adults in a lakeside retreat deal with the innocently wreckless youth they have to manage with.

As for the plot itself, it's thrilling in the way it plays out though the suspense was in dire need of a more dexterous editor. And the message? It's not as simple as don't lie but be grateful for those around you who've fucked up as much as you and willful to help you get out of this mess. How Deneuve and co. scoop a pretty young liar out of an 'epic fail' is great movie stuff.
July 10, 2010
This is a well-acted film, The problem with this film lies in the advertised premise. I was expecting a film that focused on the actions of the woman related to the falsified events. The film dedicates approximately 5 to 10 minutes to her performing the deed. It instead focuses on the realtionships she had with the people immediately before and immediately after the event. It's almost as if you were to make a film, advertise it as a film about the Holocaust, and only dedicate 5 to 10 minutes to anything involving Jewish people. That doesn't mean the movie will be bad. But it certainly means that you mislead your audience into expecting a certain type of film. I had no idea that the title would be so precise with the film focusing on the Girl on the Train and not the Events on the train. It was a good film, but I can't shake the disappointment in not getting what I was expecting. And, from the looks of these other reviews, I am not the only one.
½ June 30, 2010
Disjointed narrative made it impossible to engage in this film. What did the first part have to do with the second - other than the same characters showing up in each? How many shots of Jeanne rollerblading can we watch before the point (she's not engaged with the world) becomes too tired for us to even care? What's her motivation for the lie? There was also too much sinister build-up - melodramatic music, manufcactured tension - in several scenes which added up to nothing. A big disappointment.
June 4, 2010
The plot synopsis says this film is based on the true story of a young girl who stunned France when she falsely claimed to be the target of an Anti-Semitic attack. This is slightly misleading. It is more of a twisted love story and how a small lie can change your life. Either way, it's beautifully acted and well worth the full attention required from a movie with subtitles.
May 29, 2010
André Téchiné is one of France's most gifted and consistent directors. I've been a big fan of his work going back to 1993's "Ma saison préférée" and I've seen all of his films since except for one.

Here, he has created a fictional film around the true story of a troubled young French woman who reported that she was the victim of an Anti-Semitic attack on the subway. I don't fully grasp the editing choices Téchiné makes in telling the story, but the film is gorgeously shot and compelling throughout.

Catherine Deneuve gives a wonderful performance as the mother who suspects that her daughter is lying and tries to get her to confess.
May 28, 2010