Girl Play Reviews

• May 21, 2011

I am not familiar with other works by the writers or its director Lee Friedlander but the film was good and apparently inspired by true events. We have two actresses ( Robin Greenspan and Lacie Harmon) who use the ups and downs of their real-life romance as the inspiration for this comedy drama about two performers whose real lives are beginning to mirror their latest roles. Robin (Greenspan) is an actress who has been in a deeply committed relationship with Audrey (Katherine Randolph) for six years, while fellow thespian Lacie (Harmon) is not much on commitment and tends to tire of her lovers once the initial excitement wears off. They are working together for a play and during rehearsals, they get to know each other better and fall for one another..I liked it and definitely recommend it!

• Feb 19, 2010

I have just finished watching this movie. My friend let me borrow it. The movie is decent with every now and then laugh out loud moments (for me). The first half of the movie is boring but interesting since the viewer(s) are learning of the two characters. During the second part, the characters become a little more interesting because of the explanation of their past as well as present. The problem I have is the set up of the two characters describing their lives while on a stage. I can see the point of why they wanted to present it in this way but throughout the film, the dialogue and standing on the stage is not effective. Especially with this kind of script, it is not engaging. The beginning (I say should have been around 5-10 minutes) of this stage present would have worked then the rest of the movie, show the characters in their world. (Also maybe every now and then, present the dialogue on stage to show the connection as well as the individuality of the characters.) I did enjoy the ending; it was effective in that the characters expressed their happiness and wanting to go for it.

• Jan 25, 2010

With little plot and a stifling set, the movie needs stronger performances than its leads can offer.

• Dec 09, 2009

Absolutely tragic crap. I'm not sure what the idea behind this was, but it doesn't work. They should have filmed it as if they were actually doing the play, the actresses aren't good enough to pull off the talking directly to camera thing. Based on a true story apparently...

• Oct 03, 2009

If I wanted to watch a play, I'd, uh, I'd go and watch a play. This is what you would call a failure of adaptation.

• Jun 13, 2009

a bit startling content-wise because it hit home too deeply, but not bad. not GREAT, but not bad.

• Jun 12, 2009

l think so really gd or nt...

l think so really gd or nt...

• Feb 09, 2009

got to about 30 mins in and could take it on longer.

got to about 30 mins in and could take it on longer.

• Jan 22, 2009

great movie. i love the fact that it was taken from a stage play. i also like the fact it was a real life story that shows lasting love.

• Sep 26, 2008