Girl With a Pearl Earring - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Girl With a Pearl Earring Reviews

½ October 30, 2014
An honestly average but still captivating historical drama about one of Vermeers most if not the most recognized piece of art. It never quite does anything that sets it apart from other historical dramas as it follows a similar pace an chacarcter presentation, but it is precisely the reason why uit shouldnt be disregarded. The acting is pretty good, the characters are well presented, and the story, while not entirely well paced and crafted, is satysfying andf entretaining.
½ October 11, 2014
The story of this movie is rather thin, but the scenery looks like a series of paintings by Vermeer. It's amazing how this movie brings 17th century Holland alive in every detail. Of course, ít's no punishment to look at the pale face with blue-green eyes of Scarlett Johansson for an hour and a half either...
September 13, 2014
Review:
Although this movie is about an historical moment, I did find the pace quite slow and boring in parts. The director captured the period very well and I did feel for the servants who had to work extremely hard for there disrespectful masters. Griet, whose played by Scarlett Johannson, didn't do anything wrong as a servant, but she was constantly getting punished because of the attention that she was getting from Johannes Vermeer, played by Colin Firth. When you actually look at the real picture, you can't help but wonder what is going on in this girls mind. This movie does bring some light to the whole world surrounding this one picture, but I would have liked to see more about Vermeer who was a very unique artist. His attention to detail was a long process and the way that he created the colours were an eye opener. Anyway, you do have to be in the right mood to watch the movie because it has a very moody tone, but it is interesting because of it's historical element. Average!

Round-Up:
After watching a few of Scarlett Johannson's movies back to back, she did seem to act the same in her earlier roles, but she has grown out of that habit of late. With movies like The Avengers and Lucy, she has become a more physical actress who has been blowing up at the box office. She also showed that she can tone down her roles with movies like Under The Skin and Hitchcock which didn't rely on her physical abilities so she has proved that she can take on any project that is put in front of her. Colin Firth is the master of period dramas so this role was right down his street. He is a proud owner of an Oscar after his brilliant performance in The King's Speech so there isn't that much more for him to achieve in such a versatile career. As for the other actors in this movie, they all put in a great performance but I'm just not a big fan of period dramas.

Budget: $10million
Worldwide Gross: $31.5million

I recommend this movie to people who are into there period dramas about the famous Girl With A Pearl Earring painting and how it came about. 4/10
July 22, 2014
What an experience - simply beautiful
½ July 17, 2014
The novel was amazing! It s apity that i havent seen this film yet. I hope its as awesome as the novel!
May 29, 2014
Vermeer's painting, "Girl with a Pearl Earring," is my favorite of all time. There is so much mystery filling the wide eyes of this young lady. Whose jewelry is she wearing, and who is she looking at with such a longing desire? The painting is marvelous and this film does a nice job of fictionalizing its creation. As a lover of this masterwork, I do take a small issue with the fact that Scarlett Johansson is not an identical match to the girl, but she portrays the character well and I am amazed at how plain the make-up artists were able to make her until she is subtly transformed into this iconic figure. The scene when he paints her is absolutely chilling if you are a fan of this work and Colin Firth brings life to Vermeer. While the story is slow at times and could be better, I'd recommend this unique period piece to any art fan out there. Absolutely beautiful.
½ May 23, 2014
I kept waiting for the movie to become more interesting and it never did. Very dull storyline.
April 24, 2014
Saw this again last night, after a number of years. I understood it a lot better this time around, it's excellent on all fronts. Last time I thought it was visually very beautiful but I struggled with the narrative, but somehow this time it all made much more sense. I also enjoyed the documentary about Vermeer with which BBC4 followed it.
April 23, 2014
Accolades Award
Camerimage] Bronze Frog Eduardo Serra Won

European Film Awards Best Cinematographer Eduardo Serra Won

Los Angeles Film Critics Association Awards Cinematography Eduardo Serra Won
San Diego Film Critics Society Awards Best Cinematography Eduardo Serra Won
San Sebastián International Film Festival Best Cinematography Eduardo Serra Won
½ April 4, 2014
Powerful and wonderful movie but can be slow
March 11, 2014
Each scene was very like a Dutch painting. Gorgeous photography.
January 14, 2014
Girl With A Pearl Earring is one of those quiet, restrained films that softly haunts the viewer for weeks afterward. It won't knock you over, but it won't soon leave you either. And the score--simply enrapturing, and absolutely unforgettable.
December 25, 2013
[spoiler and bad puns alert] Those eyes, they communicate much more than words. Along with several metaphorical acts, the story constructs a believable intimacy between master and maid. The film may lack a satisfying climax, but that perhaps perfectly illustrates the tension between the taciturn characters. What is fulfilling in this film is the eyeful of Vermeer-esque cinematography. The light and dark, the composition, the colors--a work of beauty. It's a slow and quiet film where some loves are secret and selfish because of circumstances of the time; I'm not sure about the depth of its implications, but it's certainly a painterly love story.
½ October 22, 2013
Stunning art direction, impressive performance, subtle camera movement, these holds the necessary parts of a good film, but cannot hind a pale and thin story. The director tries to use the simple plot to convey something deeper, which can be detected from some detail constructions: e.g. when the elder maid talks about the maid being portrayed with the patron, she brutally wipes the chicken with butter, inferring man's touch on woman's body. This film is subtle and contained, but resulting in an affected feeling.
October 21, 2013
Loved this movie! Book was so great I had to check out the movie/
October 3, 2013
It wasn't interesting enough for me at all. I think it's aimed at an audience who understands and appreciates art. It did make me want to learn a little bit more about this Johannes Vermeer's fella though.
½ September 2, 2013
good but could have been more intense.
September 1, 2013
Beautifully shot as you would expect, and evocative of a time when people knew their places and were both constrained and comforted by them. But I didn't believe the story and the ending is ridiculous. One for a rainy afternoon.
½ August 19, 2013
No energy (bad editing ?), everything is so slow. The relathionships between the caracters are completly left out, the complexity of how Griet is acting is not explained, the risks that she is taking which led to the end of the story (the end is different in the book, better in the book), the end of the story is suppose to be tragic but nothing happens here. Nothing of how society rules were followed at that century are really seen. No, it's not a sucessful adaptation. The book gets you into are and into painting, explaining you the techniques, the subptility of painting, how to chose the right colours, what is the appropriate light, the right angle etc, here ? nothing at all.