Girlfight - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Girlfight Reviews

½ July 22, 2016
A rousing, girl-positive, indie success story whose dynamic rhythms deliver a connecting punch. The poor man's "Million Dollar Baby".
November 28, 2015
An interesting film but I felt much was left unfinished. Such as the relationship between her and her dad. How she finished high school or what happened after her fights and if she could go pro.
June 27, 2015
Boring, and I got tired of looking at Michelle Rodriguez's pout.
May 27, 2015
Hits all the right notes in this little well directed story with a 4star performance By Rodriguez
½ April 28, 2015
Started off okay but then had a very stupid and unrealistic ending.
April 8, 2015
thought it would involve more girl fights. kinda funny how she beat her own guy. amazing performance by michelle rodriguez.
½ February 27, 2015
Michelle Rodriguez always has an angry face throughout the film... give up on the cheezy romantic aspect... the issues discussed were good - movie, not so much...
February 5, 2015
Michelle Rodriguez is a baby in this flick. It was really good and I was shocked lol. Love a good sports movie though and Ms. Rodriguez, well, it doesn't hurt the film. And yes Nora I realize she was in lost. I know this will be her comment already.
½ January 24, 2015
Bolstered by its smart feminist message, Rodriguez's lead performance and Kusama's direction, "Girlfight" is a compelling, albeit predictable look at gender politics in the field of boxing.
½ October 25, 2014
A star making role for Rodriguez Girlfight excels with its storytelling but struggles which it boxing choreography which really takes you away from the otherwise good film.
September 17, 2014
Pretty good for a B grade movie, Michelle holds her own throughout, good story
½ September 16, 2014
Like most boxing movies they all seem to have the same theme, Boxer grows up in a bad part of town, has a bad time of growing up, caught up in violence and poverty and wants to become the hero. This was no different but I really enjoyed the acting. Ive always liked Michelle Rodriguez, but even though this is one of her first movies, I think its one of the only ones Ive seen that really lets her act and be herself. I wished she would make more movies like that.
September 5, 2014
Overlong drama. Watched it just for Rodriguez. Watch Million Dollar Baby instead.
½ August 21, 2014
Loved it. She kicked ass and loved...on her terms.
½ August 5, 2014
To think that this is Michelle Rodriguez' first performance, makes this a much more special movie. She shines in every scene she's in and proves that she's not just a tough looking girl, she's also a fine actress who could convince an audience of the suffering the character's going through with just the look on her eyes. Girlfight is a tad overlong, but it brings to life realistic characters and realistic fights, making it, surprisingly, a very good movie.
½ April 12, 2014
It's sort of like a gender-swapped version of Rocky, but the message of overcoming obstacles seems to come out stronger in this one, and it's simply a more enjoyable film than Rocky was. Maybe that's blasphemous or something, but where Rocky often felt cheesy, Girlfight feels honest and real. Michelle Rodriguez fits her role here better than any other role she's taken, and she helps carry the whole thing. It's gritty and real with genuine characters and some good boxing sequences. A few plot points are sort of dropped and never returned to (such as the conflict with her father) and it lacks a strong conclusion, but what's here is different enough and entertaining enough to overcome this.
January 14, 2014
A grim modern tale of a girl who wants to fight & learn how to box. It's incredibly well done, moving & filled with so much raw energy from Rodriguez you'll have a hell of a great time. tough but top!
January 7, 2014
Looks like Million Dollar Baby took a page from this one. The tough as nails Michelle Rodriguez displays a vulnerability that is quite becoming as a troubled teen discovering a constructive way to channel her aggression. This is well scripted and acted on all fronts. The love story grows organically. I really liked this.
December 25, 2013
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
October 30, 2013
Though not completely original, this film hits it's marks. Kinda like "Karate Kid" for the post millennium - only it's a Hispanic chic.