Girlfriend Boyfriend - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Girlfriend Boyfriend Reviews

½ January 22, 2015
a story of friendship and love among three friends set against political upheaval in Taiwan. The story opens in 1985 when the three friends are in high school and Taiwan is under martial law, moves on 5 years later, when they are in University in Taipei, being active in "clean democracy" movement, and spans an era of radical changes to bring us to present time. When the story opens Mabel is in love with Liam - (who is at the time a closet gay at the time) - who is in love with Aaron, who is in love with Mabel. The dynamics among the trio will evolve and change together with the social and political changes in the background. But throughout the changes, Mabel has in incredible force on the shape of the relationships, and in that, it reminded a bit of "Jules and Jim."

Performances by the three lead actors are fabulous. But I especially loved Gwei Lun-Mei as Mabel. She is fragile and strong at the same time, she is playful and serious about life around her, and matures to a thoughtful woman. I also liked Rhydian Vaughan as Aaron, the mixed race young man who is the object of both Liam and Mabel's affections as the movie progresses. But it was Joseph Hsiao-Chuan Chang as Liam who won best actor for his complex portrayal of Liam, in the 2012 Taipei film festival.
December 19, 2013
The loss of innocence of three best friends that mirrors the sociopolitical changes in the 1980s Taiwan is a heartache to see. Top-notch performances from the trio of young actors who convey so much with their minimalist acting.
July 8, 2013
Teenage love and friendship tangled in an unresolvable triangle went sour and sad. The part showing 15 yrs later with the twin girls was completely redundant.
June 17, 2013
????????????????????????????????? -_-
½ February 2, 2013
A sweet piece of work.
½ January 12, 2013
Not as good as expected. People who know more about History of Taiwan may be interested
December 26, 2012
Young generations' restless reactions against social institutions, grown-ups' coming to terms with reality- are just all merely serving the main 'she loves him but he loves him" theme, of which seems more likely to be what everybody really cares about actually.
½ December 12, 2012
The retrospective approach and intertwining of time should be quite attractive for local 80s Taiwanese. Though the historical part was not highlighted as in-depth as it should, it was good enough to be the background of this 30 years love relationship. Unlike many teenage movies, "GF. BF" describes the indulgence and stubborness of individual, which leads to their own suffering in love.

Liam wrote Aaron on Mabel's hand for his reason to leave, and Mabel folded Liam's hand after writing Mabel on his hand, meaning she was not giving up. A subtle but impressive scene.
October 2, 2012
A movie that depicted how friendship between 3 persons eventually transformed into a complicated love triangle during the turbulent period in Taiwan. I like the plot with some subtle messages towards the end, but I suppose it does turn out to be a little cheesy at the same time.
September 29, 2012
avoided reading about this movie as i didn't wanna know too much beforehand. had thought it was a feel good, light-hearted comedy. boy, i was quite wrong.
this trio of good friends, ??!
without giving too much away, i'd say there were likable aspects of the movie but it was also crammed with too many distractions which resulted in this ???? that i'm feeling. maybe i had wanted and expected to like this more than i do, thus this high and dry feelin'. it's that kinda film that'd have you reaching for your smokes after.

kudos to gui lun mei, she made you feel mabel's pain along with her.
the eurasian lead, eye candy he may be, irritated a little with his aaaw-im-so-adorable impish grin that he flashed very generously throughout the movie. i was just distracted with joseph chang's rippling muscles and way too mature face during his 'high school' days.
September 11, 2012
女<
1/2'-丨 (C) (C)
, 1/2起'~?,>'-' (R)?~-?已人(TM)
>-?中?許人觸碰''??-,(TM) (R)" 1/2,

以'' 1/2累 1/4以''?> 1/4<
September 3, 2012
There was never a film which made me cry AFTER I left the cinema. It was when I had time to reflect my life and the connection with the main characters in the movie. And when I had time to grasp the finer details and undertones of the plot. Being gay and one of the people marched to protest the Tianmen Square massacre, we had all experienced love and betrayal, social and political movements. The director successfully blended them (and other sub-plots) together with a clear message - let's be truthful to ourselves. Perhaps you really need to have some sort of connections to this movie to be moved - sorry, foreign critics won't get it. All lead actors are excellent, Joseph Chang is incredibly sexy! A thumbs up for everything.
August 31, 2012
joseph chang performed good, but gwei lunmei seems overacted. story is a bit loose, i just love director yang's last film "Orz Boyz" more.
August 14, 2012
Forget about the social movements, this movie is mostly about continual struggles between a triangle relationship; between close friendship and the longing for love. It's just compelling.
½ August 12, 2012
<?,

Another great film from Taiwan. Unlike 'You are the Apple of My Eye', this time is a story of grown up. Recommended.
August 6, 2012
Did they really fight for freedom or were they only against the authority?
½ August 5, 2012
It just reminded me of so many things in the past with dust
½ August 4, 2012
Complicated relationship, but Joseph's act was surprisingly well
August 4, 2012
Great story telling and acting. Weaved together a surprising love triangle story under the backdrop of a social movement and changing time periods in Taiwan. The audience could see each character's point of view toward their relationships and society. It showed representative scenes from different points in Taiwanese history. But the way Yang left hints in the plot was very symbolic, it might be difficult for some audiences to understand everything.