Girlhood - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Girlhood Reviews

July 13, 2016
The Power of the mind is wild.... You can accomplish what you set your mind to do... and you also need love.
July 11, 2014
[Interested: cannot find.]
½ November 15, 2012
Rodd asked to never see anything like this again. I kind of agree, even thought it was good. It was really, really depressing.
June 29, 2010
A wonderful documentary. Incredibly compelling and eye opening.
½ June 28, 2010
This documentary shocks you at what is going on in some teenagers' lives as it follows two girls from Baltimore in their struggle through the justice system and transition into the real world and adulthood. The footage is very real as it explores juvenile delinquency along with its causes and solutions, both good and bad. Certain to cause wonder and worry.
April 19, 2010
A look at the lives of two girls in the juvenile justice system in Baltimore. Very much worth a watch.
October 22, 2009
Girlhood is an interesting documentary examining the criminal justice system when it comes to young girls. The film has no opinion towards whether the system works or it doesn‚??t. Rather it presents two examples and allows the audience to decide. The subjects of the documentary are two teenage girls, Megan and Shanae, both who committed acts of violence and were sent to a juvenile detention center. The film chronicles their stay there and release back into the real world. Garbus does an amazing job of filming this movie with out terribly manipulating the girls lives into something they‚??re not. The two girls lives so greatly contrast which make the movie so interesting because you sympathize with them along with watching in curiosity because they are such mysteries. You are hoping for the best in both of them but can not even guess how it will turn out. It is a compelling documentary that brings a new meaning to girlhood.
½ September 4, 2009
Pretty impressive documentary that spans three years covering the lives of two very young girls within the juvenile justice system. Witnessing all the progressions, and well as the set backs, this is a very telling and honest film. On a side note: You will appropriate those loved ones in your life a little bit more by the end....
July 11, 2009
It was crazy to see how some young people live their lives - acting out and even killing people with no remorse. Very sad.
March 2, 2009
One girl was raped by 5 boys at 10. Another girl has a mother who is a drug addict and prostitute. Good movie illustrating the challenges many joung girls face that can lead to ending up in the juvenile justice system. I was routing for them, but I have the feeling one is going to be OK, but I'm not too hopeful for the other one.
February 26, 2009
I watched this for my sociology class it is so sad to see what these girls went through at such a young age and how some will never be able to rise out of what they were born into and yet they have such potential.
January 26, 2009
While the girls in the film are provocative and captivating people, the presentation of the film lacks a certain tightness and cohesion. I don't have much of a sense of how these girls developed over the several years in which the movie was filmed; there just seems to be a lot of holes. Also, there doesn't seem to be much that ties the two of their narratives together. What I found most fascinating about the film were the mother-daughter relationships and the vicious cycle of falling-out. The lesson may be, until we stop blaming the victims of oppression and start addressing interpersonal and systemic community health, the rest of society condemns such people to living such troubled lives. Childhood is a crucial time in people's lives, yet at the same time, there is always hope for forgiveness and personal resurrection.
½ October 5, 2008
An honest, strong and ultimately hopeful documentary following 4 years in the lives of Shanae and Megan -- two teenage girls struggling through coping with the situations and hardships life brought them at an early age. This is both a story of innocence lost and the hardships young girls face at a young age in today's society and the behaviors they resort to. It's a story of families and trust and betrayals and tolerance. It is both heart breaking and enlightening.
October 4, 2008
This will break your heart. Watch it anyway.
May 17, 2008
Very good documentary about the life of two very young teenage girls living their "girlhood" out in the juvenile justice system & their ultimate release back onto the same streets they came from. Sad but a hard and very insightful look.
May 14, 2008
Ahh... Baltimore...
April 10, 2008
it gets into the nitty gritty of some people's lives. its people no one wants to think actually exist. makes me sad to know that they actually do exist in a country thats supposed to be one of the best.
½ March 18, 2008
I didn't like this film.
½ December 10, 2007
Mothers don't let your daughters grow up to be these girls. Raped and preggo at 11? Christ.

A documentary on a compelling subject flawed in presentation, and thusly less effective overall. Impartiality and omnipresent coverage need some rudder to steer an audience - this film is adrift.
November 11, 2007
Definitely interesting subject matter, but I don't believe that it gave an accurate depiction of the system just by showing these two girls. Kind of just grazed the surface and didn't really get down deep on anything.

Also, it jumped all over the place which made it kind of hard to see what the film-maker was trying to say about these girls and the system. It seems kind of flakey when it should be hard-hitting.

The girls were definitely awesome to share their stories, and I'm glad to see how kind many of the workers in the center were.