Girls Can't Swim Reviews

• Apr 14, 2009

French girls' friendship becomes strained as they develop sexually. Its hard to believe that these girls were ever really that close of friends considering how divergent their personalities are portrayed in the movie.

• Mar 26, 2009

Whilst driven by a strong female lead and an absorbing, slow plot, Girls Can't Swim suffers from lazy direction at times, with some scenes overtly long that serves as distraction from an otherwise engrossing story. The dramatic and sexual tension between the two friends was built well only to be thrown away abruptly, leading to a shocking, if not slightly unsatisfactory ending. Despite this, the film manages to capture the viewer with a slew of emotional moments that are stringed together, on the most part, smoothly and efficiently. One feels with better focus, and more elaboration of the more crucial scenes, this could have been a great French drama.

• Nov 17, 2008

This movie drags on and on without a great deal going on. Its quite a long and tedious movie and lacks almost everything. The character development is very weak and both of the lead girls are unlikeable. I wish i had marked this one Not Interested.

• Luke B Super Reviewer
    Nov 10, 2008

Two best friends that have been separated look forward to spending the summer together. All's not as well as it first appears though. Gwen is a confused girl who uses her sexuality to embrace some sort of acceptance missing from her mother and father. Lise is emotionally repressed, even being told not to cry after her father's death. It's a film that captures those awkward moments of youth, friends one minute and then arguing the next, but never really explores them. The film keeps the audience interested with the different twists and turns but mostly it is how each character deals with situations that become the most exciting part. Gwen's father is the most conflicted of all characters as he drunkenly tries to do what is right for his family and get in his estranged wifes good books once again. At the same time he is also trying to be a strict father to a promiscuous daughter and a father figure to a girl who has lost her own. Not everybody, but certainly for those who like slightly dark and awkward cinema.

• Sep 11, 2008

Interesting French movie..delving into the dangerous and fickle minds of teenage girls... well enacted..in your face at times...

• Jun 24, 2008

That Lise sure liked to put a damper on a persons day by making them as miserable as her. Reminds me of some bitch I went to college with.

• Mar 31, 2008

I'm not sure what to think of it, but it was interesting.

I'm not sure what to think of it, but it was interesting.

• Aug 22, 2007

i like the experimental cinematography and narrative and the story was great, but i think there's just so many ways it could have been better

• Aug 13, 2007

This movie is an emotional rollercoaster ride. To me it represents the great difference between growing up in a European country as opposed to America.

• Jul 31, 2007

By far the worst and most disturbing film I've ever seen - and I tend to like foreign films better than U.S. films.