Girls Just Want to Have Fun - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Girls Just Want to Have Fun Reviews

½ November 18, 2016
Way too dirty dancing for me. Unfortunately not interesting enough to keep me going.
September 26, 2016
Ow gosh, I miss the 80s, Dumb yet great movie!
September 25, 2016
This was a really fun movie. Could the acting be better? Yea but it's the 80's. Overall I liked it.
½ April 11, 2016
Girl?s Just Want To Have Fun
?Girls Just Want To Have Fun,? is a movie about a military brat teenager girl and a small town teenage boy. They both entered in a dance competition to be shown on TV. While they are entering to show their moves they end up becoming dance partners. Threw out the movie they start to fall for each other but things happen that try to pull them apart because they might have a chance to win the competition with their passion moves.
This movie was filmed in 1985. The director of the movie was Alan Matter and the writer was Amy Spies. The main actors were Sarah Jessica Parker played as Janey and Lee Montgomery plays as Lynne. Sarah Jessica Parker has been in a bunch of movies over her teen years and still to this day she acts (New Year's Eve, Failure to Launch, Footloose, Hocus Pocus). For Lee Montgomery, his last movie was ?Girls Just Want To Have Fun?, but years before that he has done movies but not very much (Prime Risk, The Midnight Hour, Burnt Offerings). Now in the beginning of this movie I was not so much a fan of Sarah Parker?s character. Her character is very innocent and very nervous about almost everything, but threw out the movie she starts to get comfortable and mellows out. Now for Lee Montgomery, I liked his character. His character was like the punk rock, cool, layed back kind of guy you could think of back in the 80?s that did not know what to do after high school. I really don?t think Alan Matter could have found anyone better to play these characters than these two.
This movie all in all leans more towards the romance, dance movies which has most qualifications for a chick flick (Step It Up, Dirty Dancing, etc.). For me when I was watching the movie some of the songs and dancing scene made me want to just jump up and dance my way into the movie, though there are some parts that make you want to punch some people in the face. But if you are having a down day and you feel like watching a up rising movie, this is a good one for you.
½ November 27, 2015
A stupid teen flick that may be mildly amusing at times but is mostly really silly and forgettable, with awful dialogue and clichés everywhere, being only worth it for its nice '80s songs and not much else.
June 30, 2015
"Girls Just Want To Have Fun" is about as cheesy and cliched as 80s tween films can be, but with about a third of the effort and almost no lasting impact.
½ May 8, 2015
How did I go my whole life without seeing this?!?!
April 19, 2015
The logic and events of the movie make no sense and I was on board every minute
February 13, 2015
Still love this film. Fun, silly, dance flick.
January 19, 2015
Definitely a chick flick but enjoyable in a cheesy 80s way.
December 20, 2014
This has been a favourite of mine since it came out back in 1985 :) I have seen this movie so many times that I know every word by heart
½ November 17, 2014
I went in with super low expectations so it fit the bill. It was a true 80's through and through experience and Helen Hunt completely steals the movie. Fun enough...but won't be revisiting.
October 11, 2014
Four stars for Helen Hunt's over-the-top 80s wardrobe.
June 29, 2014
nice girly film, quite an old one!
½ June 17, 2014
Review In A Nutshell:

This film was ridiculous. Almost everything about it was worth loathing. First of all, the dancing in this film was atrociously boring. I would have forgiven the film if its dancing creates a sense of fun and excitement, even if its story fails to tell something at least above average, a great example of that would be Footloose, but this film couldn't even get the dancing part to feel interesting, with most of it being acrobatics which doesn't seem to fit with the style of dancing during the 80s, Footloose did contain some of that but it was handled appropriately. The start of this film was meant to explore the relationship between the daughter and the father, saying that girls are too restricted and they can't let themselves be free and have fun, which is a cliché story but if it done right, would have made the film tolerable. So apparently Janey and Lynne's idea of fun is to produce a sense of anarchy, and not in a high school youth kind of way, but in a ridiculous fashion where it actually involves inviting a group of punk rockers and gymnasts to crash a party of the rival. Oh and the film also is constantly distracted from the main plot driver, which is the competition. It appears at the start and end of the film, and with very little reference in between. The film tries to be funny, and not in a subtle way. It tries to get me to chuckle on stupid things like Lynn suddenly appearing on stage with a chariot or when a nun/teacher is asked to some gymnastic/acrobatic thing, sorry I don't know what itâ??s called, and instead of laughing, I'm left frustrated up to the point where I actually yell at the screen. The moments that don't try to be funny, like the rehearsal or training scenes, made me laugh my ass off as it takes itself so seriously that it ends up coming off as comedic. If there was one thing about the film that I considered was a positive, it would be the character Natalie and the actress who played her; wow was she a bitch, she really knows how to make you hate a person. It is too bad because the film features actresses like Helen Hunt and Sarah Jessica Parker, who have already proven themselves with successful films and television series. Overall, this film is as stupid as the man in the film who decided to do a backflip through a window.
½ June 16, 2014
Review In A Nutshell:

This film was ridiculous. Almost everything about it was worth loathing. First of all, the dancing in this film was atrociously boring. I would have forgiven the film if its dancing creates a sense of fun and excitement, even if its story fails to tell something at least above average, a great example of that would be Footloose, but this film couldn't even get the dancing part to feel interesting, with most of it being acrobatics which doesn't seem to fit with the style of dancing during the 80s, Footloose did contain some of that but it was handled appropriately. The start of this film was meant to explore the relationship between the daughter and the father, saying that girls are too restricted and they can't let themselves be free and have fun, which is a cliché story but if it done right, would have made the film tolerable. So apparently Janey and Lynne's idea of fun is to produce a sense of anarchy, and not in a high school youth kind of way, but in a ridiculous fashion where it actually involves inviting a group of punk rockers and gymnasts to crash a party of the rival. Oh and the film also is constantly distracted from the main plot driver, which is the competition. It appears at the start and end of the film, and with very little reference in between. The film tries to be funny, and not in a subtle way. It tries to get me to chuckle on stupid things like Lynn suddenly appearing on stage with a chariot or when a nun/teacher is asked to some gymnastic/acrobatic thing, sorry I don't know what it's called, and instead of laughing, I'm left frustrated up to the point where I actually yell at the screen. The moments that don't try to be funny, like the rehearsal or training scenes, made me laugh my ass off as it takes itself so seriously that it ends up coming off as comedic. If there was one thing about the film that I considered was a positive, it would be the character Natalie and the actress who played her; wow was she a bitch, she really knows how to make you hate a person. It is too bad because the film features actresses like Helen Hunt and Sarah Jessica Parker, who have already proven themselves with successful films and television series. Overall, this film is as stupid as the man in the film who decided to do a backflip through a window.
October 9, 2013
I actually don't understand why this one's rated so low. It's quite good. It's cute to see Shannon Doherty performing this young and Sarah Jessica Parker did a pretty good job in her role. For me, Helen Hunt is the true entertainment. She is hilarious from start to finish. This is a great movie for a girls movie night!
½ July 26, 2013
hahaha! awesome!!! I gotta see this!!! LOL
July 25, 2013
Better titles for this movie would have been "This Movie Is Totally 80s" or "White People Dancing" or "Remember when Sarah Jessica Parker was Cute?"
June 5, 2013