Girls Just Want to Have Fun Reviews

• Sep 05, 2020

I love it classic 80s movie one of my favs 🙂Sarah Jessica Parker love the dancing and music the whole movie is cool

• Aug 15, 2020

If you grew up taking dance class in the 80s you loved this movie then and love it still today!

• May 19, 2020

A lot of this is pretty cringeworthy, but I'm sure girls that grew up with this, probably love it. There's a couple unintentionally funny bits, but this just feels like a less poignant version of Hairspray...

• Apr 18, 2020

Cheesy? Yes. But still good!

Cheesy? Yes. But still good!

• Apr 12, 2020

a young Sarah Jessica Parker, Helen Hunt, and Shannen Doherty in another entry of the infamous teen dance flicks from the '80s based on the hit song Cyndi Lauper focuses on Janey who attends a catholic school for girls and has a strict former colonel of a father played by Ed Lautner her best friend Lynne lives frivolously like she wants to when a dance competition is being held Doherty as Maggie is the little sister of Janey's dance partner, Jeff; the both of them aren't thrilled to be paired up but later as they rehearse they grow more closer hoping to win this competition not just to be famous but because they love it this one is very much like along the lines of 'Dirty Dancing', 'Flashdance', and 'Footloose' the standard plot of someone young wanting to dance their heart away and at the same time go against their parents' wishes but the real attraction of this film is really the music and the dancing sequences which I gotta say are expertly done, the choreography is impressive and I did tap my feet to this soundtrack the characters though not very complex do discuss how the world of dancing and competing is fixed, only a few get lucky, and winning for others is different than winning for yourself living in the real world comes later in life but for now Janey wants to have as much fun as she can teen girls will gobble this one up as well as 1980's fans it comes in does its job and then just goes about its business there's way better films of this ilk but this one is above average at best

• Apr 08, 2020

A teenage girl (Sarah Jessica Parker) moves to Chicago and goes against her strict father's wishes to appear on a dance show. She is befriended by a rebellious Helen Hunt. It has music, boys, dancing, and a mean rich girl. The film doesn't have very much going for it. Footloose and Flashdance were better dance movies. It is worth noting that Shannen Doherty appears in an early role.

• Sep 16, 2019

As a movie, Girls Just Want to Have Fun is simple and cheesy. As an 80s time capsule full of nostalgia, it's highly entertaining. Maybe it's because I watched this movie a lot as a kid, but I couldn't stop grinning the whole time. I loved the music, I laughed at the jokes and I wanted a friend like Lynne. This isn't a great film, but it's not supposed to be. It's just supposed to be fun.

• Aug 20, 2019

(Quick review) Girls Just Want to Have Fun is a 1985 indie-comedy directed by Alan Metter. The film stars Sarah Jessica Parker as Janey Glenn and Lee Montgomery as Jeff Malene. The film I personally found to be quite funny with one or two very good jokes, but the characters, story and style were all very average and uninteresting. Over all I give it a 4/10 - wouldn't recommend

• Jul 04, 2019

This is a great throwback movie. If your like me and love everything 80's then this is the movie for you! The music is outstanding! -Baby Hats Jr

• May 03, 2018

Girls Just Want to Have Fun is so rushed it’s almost unbearable. They don’t take enough time to establish the characters or to give them personalities. The movie starts and within 10 minutes they’ve spoiled what the climax of the film will entail. There are no surprises in this movie, and it probably could have been a 30-minute episode of Saved by the Bell instead of being dragged out into a feature-length film. I started to just laugh at the movie because of how poorly it was made. It was fun to see how they would cut to a wide shot in order to switch out the actors and replace them with the obvious stunt doubles that could tumble and dance better. The movie is trying so hard to be a teen wish-fulfillment movie along the lines of Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, but this time for girls. But that fails because it doesn’t make the girls endearing, and never establishes why we should care about them other than showing us that a mean girl picks on them. Girls Just Want to Have Fun writes itself, because the plot structure is traditional and predictable. Even the big dance sequences are unimaginative, and not very impressive. It starts to feel like doing somersaults is all it takes to be a great dancer in the world of this movie, but based on the clips of the show they are seeking to join, I don’t think those moves would work. It wasn’t frustrating or painful to watch, but there was nothing that appealed to me at all.