Gitarrmongot (The Guitar Mongoloid) Reviews

• Apr 09, 2018

Ruben Östlund's first film, at least the earliest one that's possible to hunt down. It's not widely known though but I guess it's the film that put his name up for some audiences. It's a bit of a weird one. It's loads of short scenes here. Most of them feature awkward, hillbilly-like people doing dumb stuff. The bicycle mob, that destroys, sinks and put up bikes to light poles are often seen. Other scenes with a weird looking kid with a guitar is also seen some times. There's a weird lady here, drinking buddies and a bunch of random stuff, really. They are connected in some way as the scenes are taking place in Gothenburg, capturing the (alternative) daily life of Sweden. Not for everyone's tastes, but I think I liked this rather expermiental piece. Static camerawork in his trademark style, unknown actors and somewhat relatable scenes a few times. Free of backround music and fancy stuff, just strange scenes that never are too far out to be something that actually could happen. Something simple, different and slightly entertaining film with that pseudo-documentary look. The 5 millon kronors budget never seem that well spent, though. 6 out of 10 boomblasters.

• Aug 24, 2011

This movie is about nothing, gives you nothing when it comes to emotional attachments and it's pretty much a waste of time, money and film. Come on Sweden can do better than this.

• The M Super Reviewer
    Aug 19, 2009

I had hoped for a real documentary, but sadly it's just a pseudo-documentary.. Real life people portraying themselves(?)... It's odd I tell you and a real pain to watch from time to time too. Still it has it's amusing parts. Definitely not something for everybody.