Donne-moi la main (Give Me Your Hand) Reviews

• Aug 09, 2015

This was a masterpiece to say the least. The main thread of this movie is to make it to Spain to be at their mother's funeral, but what happens on the way there is what shapes these two young men. Dialogue comes second to observation and expression. I realized towards the end that the twins had something that is rare to find in actors and in people, an air of mystery and unspoken word. If I'm being honest I initially watched this because I thought this was going to center around forbidden love and all of the fabrics that make a family and also break them. But to my surprise this film let life play out, let emotions and thoughts and the present of youth dominate the screen. This made the film a time capsule of innocence, maturity (in the most fascinating way), and nostalgia. I don't think I'll ever forget this movie, and I plan on making a poster out of it when I go back to the dorms. Thank you Pascal-Alex Vincent for this wonderful film.

• Jan 07, 2014

Ethereal French road movie about 2 twins travelling through France to Spain by any means necessary to get to the funeral of the mother they have never met. It's basically a tale of a fraternal relationship. There isn't much story. The journey is punctuated with sexual encounters and some rather physical fights between the two brothers. There is a character arc here...kind of, but it is clumsily done. It's very well shot, but there isn't anything memorable and the end of the film is an inelegant finish.

• Sep 23, 2012

Beautifully rendered feature with the cinematic sensibilities of a short: spare, wistful and specific. Deceptively thoughtful and very well done.

• Aug 25, 2012

Beautifully shot exploration of brotherhood and intimacy

Beautifully shot exploration of brotherhood and intimacy

• Oct 14, 2011

Remarkable, Powerfully performed!! This is a breathtaking duo.

Remarkable, Powerfully performed!! This is a breathtaking duo.

• Aug 14, 2011

Un viaje de Francia a Espana que toma dimensiones jamas imaginadas por dos hermanos gemelos que no tienen dinero para hacerlo pero deben ir al velorio de su madre. Un road trip contemplativo, al estilo de David Lynch en "The Straight Story", con personajes secundarios que dan coherencia a la trama y un poco de emocion, donde hasta el sexo funciona como moneda de cambio y como detonador de una separacion de los hermanos. Vale la pena por concreta (apenas llega a la hora con 15 minutos) ya que no necesita mas imagenes, ni dialogos para darse a entender. (texto intencionalmente sin acentos).

• Aug 08, 2011

Hmm. So sad and so beautiful.

Hmm. So sad and so beautiful.

• Aug 08, 2011

A travel movie with minor gay interests that tries way, way too hard to be arty. You can tell from the camera angles, the music, everything really that the director's trying to be meaningful and dark. Unfortunately this makes the film boring and a chore to watch.

• Jul 25, 2011

Jajajaja estos franceces son muy raros y aqui doblemente porque son gemelos. Todo el viaje esta lleno de situaciones raras y descubrimientos (adornados con alguna bonita fotografia) pero al final no se concreta nada, ni siquiera se llega a estrechar los lazos entre ellos. Cada uno es como el peor enemigo del otro pero aun asi no se pueden separar algo mas fuerte los une. El funeral de la mama al final ni juega ningun papel en la trama. Seria mejor definir mejor la historia.

• Jul 07, 2011

Something interesting smolders here, unfortunately at the same low intensity throughout and never caught fire. The young mens' expressions seen on the movie poster, is the same through most of the movie. It is intriguing how the actor's staid faces express different things but the illusion became boring well before the final act. Love-Hate relationships, competition of equals and struggle for independence are compelling themes. This film is lovely exhibition and sparse dialogue which can make great film. Terrence Malick and Gus Van Sant use it well and Marco Berger's wonderful Plan B employs it adeptly. I was unable to make connections from the imagery and nuanced dialogue is missing. Characters and sex are used as plot devices senselessly and abruptly entering then exiting the story. A clever animated opening is employed, yet events through the second act seem disconnected from the intent of the first. Although the film is not about sexuality, it's a plot device. There is an interesting use of alternative sexuality. During that scene, one brother spies the other in a same sex encounter which is the most romantic tryst of the film. The outcome is unclear, is the spying brother jealous, angry, confused? It's not clear. None the less, he's not well about it and the intent of the stunt he pulls is not clear. Is it revenge, punishment, a cruel joke or the stated intention at face value? It's cruel and seems unlikely as does the entire third act of the film until the final scenes. Visually the movie is luscious; scenes are artistically framed and the camera loved the two leads and the countryside used. I don't mind a slow pace as long as the story is propelled forward in a way that interests me. If only this story had clearer intent and nuance in tone. I would say the film is lovely and intriguing, but uninteresting and monotonous. Still there's a lot of talent here.