Gladiator - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gladiator Reviews

May 1, 2017
I'm so terribly vexed!
April 3, 2017
People think this is one of the best movies of the year?? Wel, it has been a bad year. GRATUITOUS violence - to the point of absurdity. And Russell Crowe? Well, we know he can play somber. Totally UNMOVING experience.
½ April 3, 2017
Good movie that was almost great but needed better editing choices. All of the actors are awesome and it was perfectly cast. I love the battle scenes. But some of the plot choices were dumb. Still, very entertaining.
March 25, 2017
An historic epic from director Ridley Scott. Russell Crowe, Joaquin Phoenix & Connie Nielsen were awesome. Recommended!
March 24, 2017
Ridley Scott's attempt to Spartacus is pretty good
March 20, 2017
There is a lot to say about my favorite movie, but I will be brief.
The film combines the best of the peplum, spectacular scenarios, action, human feelings and the best way to make an uchronia, with a history and solid characters that the actors make even more firm of what they are.
Russell Crowe and Joaquin Phoenix are perhaps the best of the film, a transcendent and memorable film that embodies the resurrection of the genre and the best you can find in an epic film.
March 20, 2017
Ridley Scott's most epic movie to date (not including the lame-duck that was 'Kingdom of Heaven'). Decent performances, particularly from Phoenix are drawn out of an impressive cast, supported by the films stunning production value & Scott's masterful visual eye.
March 14, 2017
Gladiator spoils its deep emotional potency and well-developed characters with unsettling violence and unnecessary plot elements.
March 11, 2017
"The General who became a slave.

The slave who became a Gladiator.

The Gladiator who defied an Emperor.

A striking story ..."

So reads part of the script, with that particular line spoken by Joaquin Phoenix's Emperor Commodus towards the end of the film, and with (most of) it being used as part of the advertising for the film, with Russell Crowe as that General/Slave/Gladiator. This was also Oliver Reed's last film, passing away during the shooting of it which led to some scenes being re-worked and others having him digitally inserted into the proceedings.

In many ways, this is also the film that led to a resurgence of 'historical epic' films although, to date, none have lived up to this one. The fact that this also has a great soundtrack and some brilliant battle sequences probably also helps!
March 11, 2017
Now that's some good fightin. Some decent politics. Contrived af.
Did the movie give us any reason to LIKE the protagonist other than he's not the bad guy?
"I'm doing this for my dead wife whom I'll see in the afterlife, but let's makeout!" Did Romans even believe in an afterlife?
DOES Russell Crowe's character have superpowers? Reverse headbutt from kneeling position with a sword above him, sword-throwing, seeing his family killed from far away.
How did the dad die? And the wife and kid?
Does anyone else think that Joaquin looks, acts, talks, and has the same plor as Ramsay Bolton?!
This bugs me in so many movies but we see many cultures and they all speak English, but only the bad guys speak a foreign language?!
February 28, 2017
I have never met a single person who liked this watered down "Ben-Hur" rip-off.
February 22, 2017
The perfect subconscious fantasy for any nonathletic man. I've seen this movie and recited its notorious monologues so many times that I hate it, and yet....
February 19, 2017
Russell Crowe is my favorite actor. I really like his performance here. And to me, the fight sequences are realistic and exciting. It gave me the feel that I was really looking in the past when the Coliseum was still used.
February 11, 2017
Favorite movie ever! :D
½ February 8, 2017
This is what movies are all about; transporting us to a forgotten era with a dazzling aesthetic; introducing us to an admirable hero with an enticing quest; and filling us with an incredible array of the emotions that ultimately complement the powerful narrative at hand. Ridley Scott's "Gladiator" is a masterwork of both the moving image and the written word, featuring striking visuals and production design as well as an appealingly classical narrative with welcomed Shakespearean undertones. Russell Crowe's Oscar-winning performance is just the icing on this blood-soaked cake, but what a furiously memorable icing it is. Also, let's not go without mentioning Hans Zimmer's wonderfully apt score either, as one can always count on the man to elevate a truly cinematic moment into the heights of iconicism. And, "iconic" is just the way to describe the film in sum. A true masterwork of the cinematic art and one that no person should skip out on.
February 8, 2017
This movie, although not fully accurate in historic terms, is still a masterpiece. The soundtrack is fantastic and obviously similar to that of the one in the renowned "pirates of the carribean" series. However, more than that, the camerawork is stunning. Whether it is a sweeping shot of the screaming citizens of Rome, or the hazy yet oddly focused picture of Maximus's flashbacks, the image is always absolutely breathtaking. Above that, the historical accuracies that do exist within the film elevate it above the typical cheesy ancient history movies. Whether it is the depiction of the brutal slave trade, close-up of the cruel nature of man to man combat, or the trap doors and hypogeum of the Roman Colosseum, it is impossible to deny their contributions to the quality of the film. Russell Crowe does a terrific job in an almost certainly career defining role, and joaquin phoenix is equally enthralling. The politics of the film are nicely balanced with the violence of the Colosseum, and viewers are never bored. Twists are abundant, and it follows no cheesy or cliche plot lines. Overall, it is a fantastic movie and well worth watching.
½ February 7, 2017
Set in 180 AD, Hispano-Roman General Maximus Decimus Meridius (Crowe) leads the Roman army to a decisive victory against the Germanic tribes near Vindobona, ending a long war on the Roman frontier and winning the favour of the Emperor Marcus Aurelius (Harris). Maximus, weary of battle, desires to retire to his Spanish farm estate to be with his wife and son, but the ageing Emperor appoints Maximus as regent to help save Rome from corruption.
February 2, 2017
I love this film. You understand all of the characters motivation & empathize with those on all sides of the story.
February 1, 2017
Gladiator is great fun, and considering how few truly great sword and sandal epics there are now, I would definitely recommend it.
January 26, 2017
Still awesome to this day. 5 out of 5 stars. They haven't made an epic like this since.