The Glimmer Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Glimmer Man Reviews

July 1, 2016
Steven Seagal gives the buddy cop movie a try. He's partnered with Keenen Ivory Wayans and the two opposite personalities are forced to work together to catch a serial killer known as "The Family Man." The action is not all that great and the story is not particularly interesting. However, Wayans is a good foil to Seagal's humorlessness (though Seagal does have some okay comedic moments) and although Seagal is hardly a good actor he's a compelling action hero to watch on-screen, even if he ever only had a small handful of decent films. The film features many other familiar faces and character actors, including Bob Gunton, Brian Cox, Michelle Johnson, Stephen Tobolowsky, Peter Jason, Richard Gant, and Nikki Cox. And somehow, at least according to IMDB and I have a hard time believing it, Roland Joffé, the director of "The Killing Fields" and "The Mission," was originally considered to direct the picture.
June 15, 2016
An @HDTGM classic! Steven Seagal at his BEST and WORST.

From the unintelligible plot to the whisper talking of Seagal and his "stay in one place" fight style this movie is CRAZY!!
April 14, 2016
I LOVE THIS MOVIE.
Partially because I love watching Steven Segal, but Wayans is a decent sidekick and the cast, namely: Gunton and Cox are interesting (always) actors to watch. This movie had it all and is still entertaining.
April 28, 2015
The ego of Seagal has no bounds but his crappy acting does..
March 14, 2015
This movie is so dumb-- the dialogue is flat out bad, the jokes are laughable but not in the way they're meant to be, the crimes are so cliché it's unbelievable, Seagal's character is so Seagal it's hilarious, there are so many straight up bad shots, ITS NEVER RAINED THAT MUCH IN LA EVER-- but that's why this is the perfect Seagal movie. A+++ exactly what I wanted.
½ April 13, 2014
"Cliché martial art cop movie... all the résumé elements..."

***1/2

A typical cliché martial art cop movie that has all the résumé elements of fate leading the bad guys into conflict with the lead character cops that will spoil their grand plan at the climax...

~

I give this film a C (Common)
April 6, 2014
As formulaic as it sounds; Seagal is concerned with justice and aligning his chi while Wayans is concerned with being the plucky, black sidekick. Laughably stupid but entertaining Seagal outing. At least he has a co star to share the screen with.
March 2, 2014
A typical cliché martial art cop movie that has all the elements of fate leading the bad guys into conflict with the lead character cops that will spoil their grand plan at the climax...
** 1/2

~

I give this film a C (Common)
½ January 1, 2014
12/31/2013: Not bad, but not the best of the Seagal films. A few good fight scenes along with a couple one liners.
December 17, 2013
Steven Seagal is basically himself, a spiritual martial artist who is full of cheese, and is brought in to help with a serial killer called The Family Man. A killer who kills families and hangs them up in crucifixions. Sounds like it could be good, and I actually kind of enjoyed it. For a while, it felt incredibly tongue in cheek where they couldn't be serious about this. Then the plot started to unfold and I could see clear as day who the killer would be as soon as he walked on screen. He should have just twirled his mustache and looked sinister to make it even more so. So what follows is a pretty standard buddy cop affair. Only it doesn't have that charm it had at the beginning when it is obvious what's going to happen. Should have gone all in on the irony and this might have been good.
November 24, 2013
While Steven Seagal has never been a great action star he has his moments but this is not one of them. Arguably one of the poorest written hollywood action movies I have seen in a long time, poorly choreographed fight scenes and bland chemistry between the leads make this a barely watchable film.
September 30, 2013
love the action scenes! classic scene when segal cuts those asian's throats with a credit card! love them 90's movies!
½ September 12, 2013
Its not too bad there's even some funny moments and both actors work well together there's just too many bad scenes with bad acting
½ August 8, 2013
Actually entertaining. Not as bad as some say it is.
August 6, 2013
Directed by John Grey (When He's Not a Stranger (1989), A Place for Annie (1994) and Born to Be Wild (1995)), this is a very silly action film which gives Seagal, who also produced the film, another chance to take on baddies in his own unique way. This does have some well staged action sequences, but it's all been done before elsewhere. But, it's the sort of action film you'd expect from the 1990's, brainless and cheesy. Jack Cole (Steven Seagal) used to work as an intelligence agent, known as The Glimmer Man, because he moves so fast, the bad guys only catch a glimpse of him before they're dead. Cole now works for the LAPD, and he's partnered with Jim Campbell (Keenen Ivory Wayans), who is no-nonsense and does his work by the book. They team up to find a serial killer known as The Family Man, who has just murdered Cole's ex-wife While Cole's fingerprints are found at the scene, he's cleared of it as he can prove he wasn't there, Cole suspects that someone from his intelligence days has set him up, which leads him to his old friend Smith (Brian Cox) and crime boss Frank Deverell (Bob Gunton). It's a very silly action film, Seagal gets to show off his martial arts abilities again, even if his acting abilities are questionable at best. But that's not his fault, he has a certain likeable quality that make his films watchable. This might not be one of his best, but it has good brainless action.
July 11, 2013
one of my favorite 1990s' seagal movies. keenen Ivory is great in his role.
June 26, 2013
My Favorite Action Film Is 1988's Die Hard.
½ June 13, 2013
seagal + a wayans brother = oH yEA
February 20, 2013
This film is in my top 5 Seagal films, not as good as Under Siege but one of his best.
½ January 27, 2013
I can't believe the budget for this movie because it was just plain bad. This had so many plot holes it would look like Swiss cheese.