Glitter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Glitter Reviews

½ April 16, 2014
There really is no reason for this film. It is so safe, cliched, terribly acted, and uninspired, that it seems the only glitter this film deserves is a glittering sign above it reading "Bargain Bin".
April 9, 2014
Whatever! I freaking LOVE this movie! I don't care if I am the only one!
March 13, 2014
I really don't care what anyone says. I love this movie. I thought the storyline was great, Mariah's acting skills are excellent and the best part about the movie is her vocals. The soundtrack is epic.
February 9, 2014
Best movie ever!!!! Changed my life. Billie and Dice 4eva <3 - xoxo. Gossip Girl
January 14, 2014
love this movie sad nobody has it anymore
December 19, 2013
this is my favourite movie of all time
August 21, 2013
Don't get me wrong, I love Mariah Carey, but this film is an unintenionally funny mess.
August 13, 2013
Not as bad as everyone says. It isn't good, though.
½ August 3, 2013
This is the 11th film I reviewed and the first to literally give me a headache. A lot of the critics who have reviewed this film use the word Cliché a lot and understandably so. "Glitter" is not only formulaic, but also has horrible acting and dreadful writing. So.. let's dive into this worthless excuse for a film. I think it's necessary to take your headache medicine first before you go on reading this review.

The story in "Glitter" is very simple. A singer named Billie Frank (Mariah Carey) is trying to make it in the music industry with the help of her dumb ass boyfriend named Julian Dice (Max Beesley) and some support from her equally annoying friends. And.... that's it. Billie faces no real obstacles or challenges to get to her goal. All she does is get into these pointless arguments with her producer and boyfriend Dice. Also I need to mention Julian Dice is probably one of the most annoying and idiotic characters I ever seen. To put it simply, he himself is a clichéd and stereotypical idiot. He starts out very supportive of Billie, but as soon as she starts getting famous (what a shock) he starts to get really jealous. This is of course following that stereotypical story formula of the boyfriend not being really famous and somehow his girlfriend gets all the attention. If that weren't enough, Billie and Dice get into these pointless arguments that I really didn't care about. Simply because the both of them were acting more like children than adults. I won't go too much into Billie's friends Roxanne and Louise because they have no real point in the film besides being really lame comic relief.

Of course, the acting in this film is down right terrible, but sometimes has unintentional comedy. I mean whenever Mariah Carey tries to "act" serious, I started laughing. I laughed because I knew she wasn't really taking this role seriously. She was mainly playing herself and it clearly shows. Again, Max Beesley's character was horrible in every sense of the word. He's poorly acted and frankly whenever he was on screen I wanted to punch him in the face. I also found strange Terrence Howard was in this film, I mean I am not sure how great an actor he really is but surely he must be better than this.

Even though this film was nominated for 6 Razzie Awards, it only won one. Of course, Mariah Carey won Worst Actress. I do think the award is well deserved, but I really would've liked Max Beesley to have won Worst Supporting Actor. Not only was his character annoying and stupid to no end, but his acting was particularly bad here. I might even say this movie should've won Worst Picture, then again I haven't seen "Freddy Got Fingered".

To finally end this review, there is only one word to describe this film. It's the same word I used when I reviewed Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star... pointless. We all know what this film was, a vehicle for Mariah Carey to become an actress. Obviously, this vehicle ran out of gas very quickly. The film is clichéd, the acting is truly awful with unintentional comedy, the story has no surprises and there really is on direction or writing talent. Take my Advice, stay away from this picture. After reviewing this movie, I only have one question... why is this movie even called "Glitter"?
May 16, 2013
I first watched this when I was a little girl and really enjoyed this movie. I watched it again last night and didn't appreciate it the same as now I am much older. But I would definitley suggest it as a good 12 year old slumber party film with face-masks and popcorn. Not one for true movie fanatics such as myself, but will be a definite hit with pre-teens! Lovely little girlie film it is!
April 21, 2013
this is the perfect movie for me
March 30, 2013
Mariah Carey's venture into movies wasn't met with "Glitter" but more like "Boo's" and induced snoozes. A train wreck of epic proportions matched only by her then-recent breast implants. She should stop living in a 'fantasy' that she can act and stick to singing.
March 19, 2013
Hilariously bad and will haunt your dreams for days to come. Hahaha, slow-mo bullet time out of freakin' nowhere!
½ February 6, 2013
Astonishingly bad, even if you are a Mariah fan, which I am not. Avoid. You cannot get the time back.
January 15, 2013
It's not the best or worse film.
January 3, 2013
Glitter is a collection of a tired, dated storyline, bad dialogue, awkward performances and bad direction. Mariah Carey stars as Billie, in this rags to riches story who is discovered by a hunky JD(Max Beesley, who's Brooklyn accent faulters.)as she is a backup singer for Slyk(Padma Laksmi, who is a dead ringer for former Prince protege Apollonia.)as her star ascents, his declines(so A Star is Born.)directed by Vondie Curtis-Hall who uses too many flash cuts of New York streets it gets old fast, and what is suppposed to be dramatic and emotional comes across as superficial and laughable. Carey does what she can but no real actress can do justice to this film and it's shortcomings.
October 21, 2012
im afraid ill shoot myself with a shotgun...
October 20, 2012
This movie inspired me to do so many great things with my life and to do this deepite the struggles in life!
½ October 16, 2012
Mariah Carey is sexy but this movie is a turd
October 12, 2012
I think we know why musicals aren't getting made anymore. Because of titles like THIS!