Glorious 39 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Glorious 39 Reviews

September 9, 2011
Implausible story, utterly weak ending, would have stopped watching 20 minutes in, but the wife wanted to see it. Don't bother.
September 6, 2011
I thought this was a great movie. Not boring at all if one thinks back to the time this movie was cast. It had me researching England during WW2.
½ September 4, 2011
It started off well, but the ending ruined the entire thing. I ended up feeling what was the whole point by the end of the film. Amazing performances from all the cast, but I am afraid to say that not even that could make this movie great. Average in my opinion.
½ August 29, 2011
Good but also very messy, love Garai though she used be a cheap Winslet but now she has come into her own
August 27, 2011
Poliakoff goes all conspiracy theory. The ruling class want peace at any price, even after war is declared. Well, so far so good. But the human drama is highly implausible, and the plot has large holes and clichés throughout. It should be a good watch but is actually unsatisfying on so many levels.
½ August 26, 2011
Ambling war conspiracy drama with good period detail.
August 25, 2011
An interesting (and simple) premise that for me never really lived up to its potential. The ending was a disappointment. I liked Eddie Redmayne as Ralph and Jeremy Northam (Whom I have always liked!) was sexy and sinister. I'm glad i've seen it but I wont be watching it again.
½ August 23, 2011
Beautiful, but what was the point of it?
½ August 23, 2011
Weird, slow, stupid ending. In fact, stupid beginning and middle too.
August 18, 2011
Because Romola Garai is a brilliant actress
½ August 18, 2011
From director Stephen Poliakoff comes one of those movies about a woman who may be going mad or may be right about everybody around her being part of some horrid conspiracy. Unlike "Rosemary's Baby", however, it doesn't have to do with satanists, but with people seeking peace with Hitler, and willing to cross a few lines to achieve it.

I found the buildup very atmospheric, but the film explores some dark territory, a bit like Poliakoff's earlier "Capturing Mary", and if you are a cat person like myself, you might be distressed by what happens to Britain's pets at the end (it's war, you see, and arrangements had to be made.)

The cast is quite impressive, though a couple of the British stars get killed quite early (I'm not saying who.) Bill Nighy was particularly good as Garai's father, more subtle than in most of the films I've seen him in.

The ending was a bit of a letdown: as the film had a dreamlike quality to it, I expected a twist a la "The Others" or "The Sixth Sense", which didn't come.
½ August 18, 2011
An incredibly bland film for the first hour and a half or so, before it finally gets going and turns into a bizarre conspiracy-based thriller, bordering on horror territory. The first hour and a half are essentially pointless and the last 45 minutes are just ridiculous and overblown.

It's a bit shit, basically.

3/10
August 15, 2011
well acted period drama with quite an original plot but for some reason lacking a real blow that makes you think your watching anything other than an average film
August 15, 2011
When Glorious 39 came out, I vaguely remember reading a very short, rather negative review of it, turning my nose up, and brushing the film from my radar wihout a second thought. It just so happened that Glorious 39 was on the televison last night, and I kind of half-heartedly gave it a go. And was I pleased that I did, and actually quite surprised.

Set on the brink of WWII, Glorious 39 tells the story of Anne Keyes (Romola Garai)the adopted daughter of an English aristocrat and politician (Bill Nighy). She has a modestly successful career as an actress, and lives a comfortable and happy life with her beloved brother & sister (Eddie Redmayne & Juno Temple). That is until she stumbles across some recordings being stored by the government on her family's property, and before she knows it she has unravelled a political plot, that sinks her further into harms way and rapidly isolates her from the people she loves.

Glorious 39 is a hard film to review, because my generous score is a rather selfish one, that many of you may not agree with when you come to see it for yourselves. It was all about likability you see. This receives only a 48% fresh rating here on RT and, to an extent I understand why. The story is original, but the plot goes off on tangents and the overall narrative and atmosphere begins to clunk as we near the conclusion, which in itself is actually rather of a disappointment. By most of your standards, you would call it a rather average film.

However, every so often a film comes along that, despite script or plot, performace or craft, drags you right into it's core and you become completely engrossed and compelled by the story and the characters that are unfolding and interacting in front of you. There is no guessing why this is, but the likability factor kicks in and you are suddenly enjoying yourself. That is the best way for me to describe my experience of Glorious 39.

Despite it's shortcomings, it has a great sense of style, an original and IMHO compelling story, led by a relatable lead who you can't help but root for. It's has spotless slick 30's style and great performances, and has a slight feel of an early Hitchcock. It is a flawed film, that watched with low expectations and an open mind, could be a thoroughly entertaining and enjoyable ride.

Summary - 8.0 - A weak ending and a few narrative shortcomings may put some off, but a riveting build up, excellent cast, and great sense of style and urgency make this an enjoyable and engaging, yet low-key thriller for those with an open mind. Not quite glorious, but a pretty fine effort.
August 15, 2011
Brilliant performances, especially from Nighy and Garai. A smart and engaging thriller, that will leave you thinking for days to come.
½ August 15, 2011
Looks glorious... And some nice performances... But an example of style over substance... And yet there was a lot more substance there to be explored. And without spoiling the ending, the clumsiness of the plot devices was embarassing, as was the last lingering shot...
August 14, 2011
absolutely abysmal...
½ August 14, 2011
I hugely enjoyed this movie, I don't know why it hasn't got that many good reviews! A lot of the criticism I have been reading argues it was too slow but I felt it was a more intelligent "thriller" for it and had a horribly creepy and sinister atmosphere throughout. I felt the beautifully slow unfolding just enhanced this. Some of the shots were truly stunning and some of the filming really clever, with the close-ups of Garai's face at key moments. The ending was admittedly a bit cheesy but the close-ups of the two Anne's faces at the end retained the sinister quality the whole film possessed and still worked for me.
August 14, 2011
Well for a start I think Steven Poliakoff is the finest filmic storyteller working today so there was a good chance I would like this. It didn't disappoint. Mesmerising, spellbinding and dreamlike.
½ August 1, 2011
Decent suspense and great acting but the ending was kind of disappointing. I felt like the movie was leading up to something really great and dramatic but then just fizzled.