GLOW: The Story of the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling Reviews

• Apr 25, 2018

A fascinating doc about women's wrestling. It had so much more of a heart than I could have asked for.

• Sep 23, 2017

I fell in love with the comedy series on Netflix, and a friend suggested this documentary on the original wrestling ladies of GLOW. Had no idea it was based on truth. Fantastic strong colourful women. Sad to see how the cancellation affected the main star, but interesting hearing from their mouths what really went on and just how true the show has remained.

• Aug 17, 2017

Totally disappointing and silly fare. Characters are completely unbelievable. Stock shallowness. Wanted to love it, but it trots out all the ridiculous tropes about female jealousy and insecurity. Pacing is odd, too, so that laughs are far and few between.

• Byron B Super Reviewer
    Jul 31, 2017

I am entertained by the Netflix show GLOW. I know next to nothing about professional wrestling, and I had never heard of this 80s all-female wrestling show. Following the first season of the Netflix comedy/drama I found this documentary also on Netflix. I was awestruck and equally entertained by this over-the-top peak behind the scenes. I was also surprised by the heart touching moments with Emily "Mt. Fiji" Dole and the real director of the series, Matt Cimber.

• Jul 18, 2017

Had to see this after watching the outstanding Netflix fiction series of the same name. Women wrestlers are an interesting breed, they have similar issues to the males, but slightly more foreign (as I am a male). A great story of the only all-woman wrestling promotion ever, with its tribulations in full view. The 80s glam and music are so fun, but the downfalls of the wrestlers are heartbreaking as well. Nice to see the real-life counterparts of the Netflix series characters, and nice that these girls still speak so fondly of their cohorts, and that some of them have gone on to be successful. My only major gripe is they 2 main males who organized and coached the women declined to be interviewed for this doc. But why? The women had a few bad things to say about these men, but I would have liked to hear their side of the story, and see if the women were telling the whole truth. Watched on Netflix with Sam at home, July 17, 2017.

• Jul 11, 2017

Compelling look back at the 80s phenomenon known as G.L.O.W - The Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling. Tons of interviews with the female trailblazers, plenty of nostalgic clips, and some real touching moments at a reunion decades later. Enjoyed this far more than originally anticipated. It's a shame two of the key male components refused to be interviewed for the doc. Their loss. ****/5

• Jul 10, 2017

One of the best documentaries around!

One of the best documentaries around!

• Jul 08, 2017

After enjoying the premiere season of Netflix's Glow, I watched the 2012 documentary on the original all-female wrestling show (also available on Netflix). It was interesting and surprisingly moving. Personal, at times raw, interviews are woven with archived media to create a rich tapestry of storytelling. The documentary is less about the popular wrestling show and more about the women's experiences before, during, and after that seminal and surreal time in their lives. Glow: The Story of The Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling is a great example of what a documentary is supposed to be like.

• Jul 06, 2017

I quite enjoyed the new Netflix series "GLOW," so I was curious to watch this documentary about the real Gorgeous Ladies of Wresting. This documentary is apparently what inspired the excellent Netflix series. Back in the 80s, I was a regular WWF watcher, especially when they partnered with MTV for their Rock and Wresting events, but I wasn't a regular viewer of GLOW, although it was on my radar. Despite being unfamiliar with the wrestlers or any of their real-life backstories, I found this film highly entertaining and heartwarming. The women worked really hard, were very proud of what they'd done, and formed some lifelong bonds. From the women they interviewed, it sounds like most of them did not continuing wrestling, although I did learn that WWF wrestler Ivory came out of GLOW. Overall, this documentary is nothing deep, but it does tell a touching story of a lot of women carving a space out for themselves in the world (a story with lots of rasslin', outrageous costumes, goofy rapping, and fond reminiscing).

• Sep 27, 2014

A typical wrestling story. Lots of heart break in that industry coming out of something special.