GMO OMG - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

GMO OMG Reviews

November 29, 2018
Like most Americans, I begrudgingly wave the white flag of surrender when it comes to healthy eating-mainly due to financial reasons, but also because I know corporations like Monsanto have their genetically modified finger in my mouth when choosing my food and drink. Many aspects of what we put on our plate, whether it be the farm our corn is harvested from or even the choice of organic or artificial at the grocery store, is often beyond our control. Unless we farm our own crops and raise our own livestock, we simply don't know what's in our food. And even for the most well-informed foodie, there is a catch-22 due to high costs of organic food being much less appetizing than the short-term savings of a Slim Jim or other such mystery meat. Yet, this is nothing new; it has been happening for a long time, frequently under the public's noses, so do we really have choices when it comes to what we eat?

Father and rookie filmmaker Jeremy Seifert seeks out to answer that question in his comical and eye-opening debut documentary GMO OMG. A film that originally hatched from his parental concerns about what he's feeding his children and to satisfy a curiosity about what genetically modified organisms (GMOs) really are, if they have lasting health effects, or is it all just widespread hysteria and paranoia-something as uniquely American as apple pie.

The crusade for answers involves a series of interviews with politicians, seed salesman and trips across America and the world-some leading as far as an international seed vault concealed within a Norwegian mountain. But the film, at its core, mainly serves as a journey of Seifert's to educate his children, who have a love of collecting seeds, why they should be concerned about new genetically modified seeds on the market.

Interposed between interviews are animated segments explaining the more complicated issues that arise regarding the food industry, with facts and statistics that often anger and shock-frequently concerning the corporation and agricultural biotechnology giant Monsanto, a company that has patents on genetically-engineered super seeds they designed and massively distributed to most commercial farms. It does sound a bit Orwellian that one giant company has a hand in almost everything we eat, but it is a stark reality of our modern market and the documentary sheds light on Monsanto's corrupt practices ranging from providing farmers and post-earthquake Haitians with non-renewable, parasitical seeds at the expense of agricultural sovereignty, leading as far as 500 million dollars worth of lobbying in Washington D.C. to strike down bills asking for the labeling of GMOs, ensuring status quo and hindering Americans' freedom-of-choice.

Despite the bleakness and seeming defeat over our food that Seifert exposes he tries to keep his documentary light-hearted, optimistic and filled with humor in addition to prying answers-and he succeeds. One particular scene has Seifert comparing how his mother would run through cornfields to play as a child-but due to worry about modern corn possessing GMOs, Seifert and his boys dress up in hazmat suits and gas masks in order to be safe whilst frolicking in the cornrows. It is this wedging of sharp wit with eye-opening evidence that keeps the film fresh and entertaining-yet at the same time never loses sight of keeping the film grounded in its roots: a father wanting what is best for his family-with candid footage of his wife and boys fishing, playing and generally enjoying life amidst the surrounding madness.

The only real complaint I have about the film-besides the goofy title-is the under-representation of his wife. His photogenic children play an extremely large role throughout, but his wife is often confined to the background of scenes, never really providing substantial insight about her concerns as a mother, just a few lines and smirks about her husband's quirky obsession with GMOs. Also, Seifert's narration feels a bit overused at times, but the documentary succeeds where many others fail: it is concise. Never does it feel sloppily edited, containing extraneous scenes, but it is rather precise in its narrative with an energetic and lightning-fast pace that not only entertains, but also doesn't undercut the power of its message by being too short.

Ultimately, the documentary prods Americans to question what contributes to our dwindling culture, mainly our self-sacrifice of our values with mere convenience. Near the closing credits, a young Haitian woman performs a traditional dance, confident and unyielding, embodying her proud culture and traditions, a representative of a people who burned Monsanto seeds donated after the devastating 2010 earthquake in direct defiance of the corporation, and as a symbol of their unwillingness to lose their agricultural sovereignty. Seifert's film challenges Americans to adopt the same revolutionary spirit concerning Monsanto, no longer having our support for the uprooting of our values by big business. It promotes long-lasting change with small actions, driving home the point that something as simple as planting a seed in someone's mind, or even in our own backyards, can grow into a movement much larger than anticipated and long overdue.
June 22, 2017
An excellant documentary exposing the evils of Monsanto that everyone should watch.
½ June 28, 2016
I'm pretty sure it was informative but man is it boring.
June 19, 2016
A home movie without any real depth to the content. There may be something to dig into here but this doc didn't do any of it.
½ April 30, 2016
There is barely an ounce of actual science in this "documentary", the fact that it's got the rating it does is a direct representation of the lack of good science education in the classroom.

Fear-mongering anti-science nonsense.
September 20, 2015
missed hitting on a few key elements. like the health effects of g.m.o.s.
½ August 1, 2015
Watched GMO OMG (Genetically Modified Organisms - Oh My God).
The documentary showed how almost everything we eat is either GM produced or GM contaminated in some way (aside from pure Organically certified produce). Mammoth organisations like Monsanto are stopping farmers saving seeds at the end of the year and are forcing them in to buying GM produced seeds exclusively from Monsanto. It showed how large firms are patenting organisms, working hard to discredit true scientific studies exposing the threat of GMO's. The film covered various investigations, trials & experiments that showed how Humans were prone to developing all sorts of Cancers due to GM food consumption over the course of our lives. The disclosures were shocking. Do your research, download and watch this movie if you really care about what you and your children are consuming, and how it will all affect our lives in the years to come - 7/10
June 7, 2015
I have watched this several times and the young man Jeremy goes great lengths to protect not only his family, but to inform the American public about the dangers of GMOs in food. It is an information machine of truth about the big bad companies controlling your food, what GMOs are and how in the dark the American public is about these organisms in the food. The producer and director brought info to the public in a documentary that was creatively informative. Though Jeremy himself is entertaining, It is in a documentary like this that the info is more important than the entertainment.
May 10, 2015
Educational and kept my interest
April 3, 2015
Everyone should watch this!
March 22, 2015
A great first step for anyone looking to gain an freshman intro into the whole GMO, FDA, USDA, Food safety, Corporate influence on Government world.
½ March 17, 2015
Un documental donde prevalece el sospechosismo paranoico por encima de la evidencia científica. Mientras se lincha a los organismos genéticamente modificados (con el sobado argumento Ad Monsantium), se promueve lo 'natural' y lo 'orgánico' como alternativas. El único investigador entrevistado es Seralini (con sus ratas mutantes) y de pilón Vandana Shiva, ajonjolí de todos los moles. Tengan cuidado, el detector de pseudociencia se les va a sobrecalentar.
February 6, 2015
It is one of the best documentaries I ever seen. Everybody has to watch it and make their own conclusion.
½ February 4, 2015
Anti-science, anti-reason, Pathos. This man does not know hot to know, or think. He does not understand the topic. He is lying to his kids. He is lying to everyone. This film is a monster.
January 20, 2015
Unsatisfyingly one-sided, and questionable at times, the film feels more like home movie than a balanced and fair documentary
December 23, 2014
Lots of food & gmo docs out there. This one was personal, fair, well-founded and well-told. It was a good, educating watch.
December 22, 2014
Could not get into this one -- the narrator is trying to do the Michael Moore thing, but it was not working for me. The connection between Monsanto, Haiti and GMOs was not well established, and after that I just simply got bored.
December 5, 2014
This movie is absolutely amazing. I am so impressed.
November 30, 2014
Pretty decent for my first gmo doc. Hooked.
½ November 20, 2014
If you want accurate info, seek out peer reviewed journals, not uneducated people in biased and misinformed documentaries that are actually propaganda.