Gnome Alone - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gnome Alone Reviews

½ December 30, 2018
The good:
Not much

The average:
Story, animation, performances, music

The bad:
Not much

And there's the thing. There is nothing great about this movie, but there's nothing terrible either.
The characters are all fine, but forgettable.
The story is fine, but forgettable.
The performances are fine, but nothing stand out.

For a Sunday afternoon movie to out in and half watch, it's fine.
December 20, 2018
best movie ever made
December 14, 2018
All good, but a bit sad coz i wish to see the garden after the gnome take time do make something to it
½ November 25, 2018
I did laughed twice because I thought of something else twice this movie does have good design detail
November 17, 2018
Gnome Alone is a Netflix animated movie about the tale of a girl named Chloe who has been moving around her whole life because of her momā(TM)s work. They finally move into a neighborhood where Chloe finds the house is haunted by living Gnomes that are battling Trogs that eat everything in their path. The voices that I was able to recognize are George Lopez and David Koechner. Overall it was an ok kids movie that teaches kids bullying isnā(TM)t tolerated. It was ok to watch once.
November 16, 2018
Bland and uninspired animated film that looks okay if it was to play early on Saturday morning. What is it with Gnomes? I don't get it. Maybe they are easy to animate. Nothing very worthwhile here, however.
November 4, 2018
I thought that studios that specialize in CG movies would have learned their lessons not to use gnome puns in the titles of their films after Gnomeo and Juliet and Sherlock Gnomes came and went without making much of a splash in the CG market. Looks like it's now time for Netflix's turn (or at least the company that made this movie) to get into the gnome market, which is clearly devoid of quality entries. Does this movie change that perception that gnome CG movies are shit??? The short answer is no, no this movie does not change that perception. I would have said that this continues my search to find a good non-American CG movie, but turns out that this was made by an American studio. And perhaps that's not really even fair to say, because I've seen some French CG movies that are actually good and the United States doesn't have a monopoly on good CG movies, but it's just that it's incredibly rare, for me at least, to see a non-Pixar or DreamWorks CG movie that I enjoy. It really is quite rare. And this goes for American studios as well, doesn't just have to be outside of the west. I need to be a fair man. But, once again, this is just not a good movie. And that's a shame because, I feel, that if Chloe, the lead character of this movie, was handled more carefully by Pixar's team, this could actually be a really fun movie. Perhaps not one of Pixar's best, if everything else about the movie is left exactly the same, but a solid and entertaining diversion, at the least. One of the things that I noticed most about the movie, or that I thought of after watching it, was how few locations there are in the entire movie. The bulk of the movie takes place in Chloe's new home, she moves around a lot and, therefore, she doesn't really a strong core of friends, which is why she gravitates towards the first girls (who are the mean girls, so to speak) who shower her with attention. There's also some scenes at the school and others in the Trogg world. So, essentially, there's like three locations that are used in the entire movie and that's just so weird. The reason I mention that is because, in the long run, this doesn't feel like an actual world. None of it feels interconnected. And I know that might sound like incredibly nitpick-y to a lot of you, and it probably is, but compare this to Coco or How To Train Your Dragon and how those films' worlds are fully formed and interconnected. Really think about it, compare it to this and then tell me that I'm wrong. You won't be able to do it, because you know I'm right. And I get that, of course, when compared to Pixar or DreamWorks, this wasn't ever gonna get a similar budget, so you had to stick to a small set of locations. But it just ends up hurting the movie in the long run. Nothing ever really seems to happen outside of what's going with Chloe, the gnomes/troggs and trying to save the world. I mean, really, this is a movie about Chloe literally saving the world from these monsters that come from another dimension, through this portal underneath her house, and they couldn't really be bothered to include anyone else that wasn't Chloe, Liam, the gnomes and the mean girls, who are more ancillary (even with the keystone Chloe is trying to retrieve from them). That's not really a lot of characters for something as big as 'saving' the world. I'm not saying that there had to be more focus on other characters, but it's just that they don't really give you any sort of context since no one else outside of the characters I just mentioned face any real danger. There's a massive trogg that comes through the portal at the end, it towers over the neighborhood, and you know how the neighborhood reacts while it's happening and the aftermath of this attack? They react by doing absolutely nothing. It might as well have been occurring on a blank canvas, where Chloe's home is the only home visible, because they didn't try to make this neighborhood something worth caring about for Chloe. I suppose there's a decent enough story to be told here with Chloe realizing who her real friends are, but it's handled so predictably bland that it doesn't really end up amounting to much. And the pop music they use throughout the movie is incredibly literal, they explain whatever it is that Chloe may be feeling. When she moves into the house early on, uncertain of her future in another new place that isn't really her home, there's a song playing that fully explains this. When Chloe is feeling happy, there's another song that explains what she's feeling. When Chloe fucks up and severs her friendship with Liam, a song plays about how she messed up. I know this is a kids' movie, but do you really have to be that on the nose with the choice of music? And it's not even like the songs are that good to begin with. They're just bland, safe Disney songs, except it's not a song for a Disney movie, just a B-tier counterpart. It's not like I found the movie to be bad, it's just safe, dull and completely uninteresting. Same could be said about the animation. It's competent enough when it's something the movie wants you to pay attention to, it's like watching a CG Nickelodeon show or something. But, at the end, there's this aerial shot of the neighborhood and it's just so bland and lifeless. And, to me, that's really the ultimate adjective that I can use for this movie. Not good, not awful, just lifeless. Something that was made because it was something they were contracted to do and not because this was a labor of love. I hate to be so dismissive because I'm sure that, for some, this was a labor of love. Yet the final product feels like anything but. I don't know what else I can say about this. I mean I don't really know why I watched this when Next Gen is also available on Netflix and that looks infinitely better than this. I just felt like watching something a little lighter. I definitely should have gone for Next Gen. Like I said before, this isn't good, it's not bad, its flaws make sure that this falls squarely in the below average ranks. So, yea, I can't say that I would exactly recommend this unless you plan to sit your kid in front of the TV while you do something more important. Like get a few hours of peace and quiet or whatever.
November 4, 2018
Absolutely terrible so many plot holes and problems that could've been avoided don't even waste your time on watching this
½ October 30, 2018
'Gnome Alone' is a 2018 Canadian-American computer-animated fantasy comedy film which was entertaining for my 5 year old and bored my 10 year old. It's nothing more than a mindless distraction and it's not particularly funny. There isn't much of a plot here which could be the reason this sat on the shelf for nearly a year. It should have stayed there. Lazy and a waste of time. It's a shame there is a good story here somewhere, but it's buried in been there done that formula. Final Score: 3.4/10
October 24, 2018
nothing too original here, corny jokes, annoying characters
October 24, 2018
Absolutely terrible movie. Liam is invasive and annoying, while Chloe is whiny and annoying. I couldn't find myself connecting to any character in any way. The threat seemed lackluster which made the plot very uninteresting, among other reasons. Overall it was just boring. The graphics were B grade and the characters in a whole were disappointing. The writers had no originality which was noticeable from the start. A failed attempt at millennial appropriation.
½ October 22, 2018
This movie had a great soundtrack but overall was just boring. The movie was more focused on jokes rather than plot and for that reason it lacked structure.
½ October 22, 2018
Very cute movie. Good for kids and their parents to enjoy together.
½ October 21, 2018
I watched this with my 8 year old and my 5 year old. They absolutely loved it. It moved really fast and kept a very interesting story. It was a super cute movie. I only wish they would have called the popular girls something other than BTC...we all know what that implies. I know the kids dont get it but this movie was made for their age group. Overall though a good movie!
½ October 21, 2018
The man girl is unlikable and whiny. Made watching this an headache. Like Coraline without the charm
October 20, 2018
Gnome alone is a great family friendly film.
My son and I sat down on our pillow fort floor with a large bowl of pop corn. He was intrested in the war against the troggs and gnomes.
I was intrested in the message behind the story. I give the movie 5 stars because its a message as clear as day
February 26, 2018
What is this? Why would you do this?