God Is Brazilian - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

God Is Brazilian Reviews

½ January 12, 2015
This is billed as a comedy; it most certainly is not. While there is some beautiful cinematography at times, mostly this is just boring.
½ February 16, 2011
i remember i didn't quite like it, but it wasn't so bad..
November 3, 2009
God Is Brazilian (2004) s a 2003 Brazilian comedy film directed and co-written by Carlos Diegues. I am a fan of Brazilian movies and have seen a lot of them. I am trying to see more. I lived in Brazil for 10 months when I was 21 years old in 1975. There have been a lot of movies of the last 25 years about God coming to earth and talking and walking around and interacting. Most have been horrible. This movie is an exception. Plotwise: God decides to take a vacation - but, first, He has to find a saint who can rule the universe while He's away. For that, He goes to Brazil's northeast, where He believes there's a very good man for the job - but, during His mission, He becomes friend of a very smart young man, Taoca (Wagner Moura). Taoca, a part-time fisherman and small-time con artist, With Taoca, God travels the country in hopes of finding a new saint who is fit for the job. Along the way, they meet a woman, Madá, who joins the two in hopes they will take her to São Paulo, where her mother has died. Eventually, the trio comes across a young man who appears to have the right qualifications, except he has no belief in a higher power. This movie really is almost another Brazilian road Trip movie (like Bye Bye Brazil another excellent film from the 1980s) It??s a comedy but the territory the dialogue between Taoca and God cover is another matter. They cover many interesting social and religious issues about man??s existence in the modern world. The strong point about the film is that they took their issues seriously, in able to make them funny and real. They combined the story and elements perfectly. It??s really a witty funny intellectual movie. Another great thing about the movie is the places they travel through the drought stricken and poverty stricken north east Brazil. You get a really good look at some places most of never get see and also seeing life for real as it exists today in Brazil. (Which is so varied compared to the suburbs of the USA) This God is certainly a gust of fresh air compared to his American counterpart. God is a good guy, simple, vain and proud of his work. The film has the quality of being simultaneously profound and a pleasure to watch. It is very modern (or post-modern) in this attempt to target a wide audience but still taking that audience into feelings and thoughts quite outside the thoughts of everyday life; into the things people tend to forget or overlook. Really the film is another great example of the South and Central American ??Magical Realism?? (fantasy). Magic realism, or magical realism, is an artistic genre in which magical elements or illogical scenarios appear in otherwise ??realistic?? or even ??normal?? settings. It has been widely used in relation to literature, art, and film. It can be defined as "what happens when a highly detailed, realistic setting is invaded by something 'too strange to believe'. God is Brazilian is so fresh and inventive it could have been written by Carlos Fuentes or Gabriel Garcia Marquez. They are both Spanish with Spanish ??Magical Realism?? where this film is the Brazilian presentation of this style of fantasy film. Wagner Moura as Taouca is especially good! He is so exuberant and funny in this role. He has been good in many of the Brazilian movies I have seen recently including : Behind the Sun Carandiru and Lower City. I hope you can tell I enjoyed this movie watch it it??s a lot of fun and though a comedy covers some interesting ground in philosophy and religion! Four stars almost five !
October 15, 2009
very funny - good idea, too
½ July 12, 2009
Pretty funny movie. The ending isn't great, but I though all of the actors were funny in their own way. If you like foreign language films, definitely worth a watch.
½ September 20, 2008
A movie by Carlos Diegues of the Cinema Novo... and it did not let me down. This was a light hearted angle on something very poignant and and serious. I love roadtrips and this was the ultimate, magical realist roadtrip in my favourite part of Brazil (northeast). The acting was superb and chemistry between Antonio Fagundes, Wagner Moura and Paloma Duarte was magical. Cinematography was strong and even beautiful in moments. One of the most memorable cinematic moments was when Moura & Duarte were laying in a boat looking up at the night star-filled sky. The cam zooms out to reveal them from overhead, floating in a dinghy floating in night waters filled with silvery fish doing a ballet around them. The camera pulls out even further, making the fish ballet into the shape of a full moon upon which their boat is floating. Amazing. Is why I am a huge fan of Diegues, Brazilian cinema, cinema novo and magical realism. (the soundtrack is hot too)
July 10, 2008
Re-rated after seeing it for the second time (rated it 4 stars! before) - the storyline is bland, the dialogues clichéd and uninspired. Good fun, though, I do recommend it for a just for fun movie night. Very funny film and wonderful declaration of love to Brazil.
June 19, 2008
Super comica! Seria interesante ver una versión boricua...
April 24, 2008
Bright, beautiful, strange. The kind of movie that makes you feel something and still come out happy in the end. I really want to see more Brazilian comedy now.
March 28, 2008
If you can get a hold of this one, try to. It is a wonderful road-movie - with God dropping into Brasil, enlisting the aid of two odd characters, to help him find an old friend to take over for him while he goes on vacation. A fun film that will introduce you to Brasilian culture. The scenery also shares the 'non-amazonian-samba-rio' parts of Brasil.
March 19, 2008
foreign film lovers- go for it and smile
½ February 8, 2008
Fun and terrific visuals.
November 29, 2007
If you've lived in Brazil, you'll understand this movie and give it 5 stars! Utterly funny and cynical, poking with a lot of local Northeastern characters. Pretty [Brazilian] realistic acting as usual in Brazilian movies, and a twisted plot, of course.
November 27, 2007
I didn't like this movie so much...I didn't even watch it all the way through, could have been better.
½ November 21, 2007
adorable, dépaysant mais réaliste
October 23, 2007
This movie has a unique, suspenseful yet unpredictable storyline and a remarkable ending.
October 15, 2007
God (who happens to be brasilian) decides he wants a holiday to watch the booms and bangs fo the stellar universe, so he heads to Brasil to find a suitable replacement. Brilliant movie with witty script and brilliant acting from Wagner Moura (tropa de elite, Carandiru)
½ September 2, 2007
the very last frame where the taoca and the girl are lying in a boat in the river and it is slowly revolving,except for the fake lookin fflyin fish,is one of the most breathtakin couple frames in a movie.....and that line-"Jesus with the blue eyes and the brown hair..where/how did they come up with that?". struck a chord with me.
August 16, 2007
Not too bad. An interesting take on God! Good performance from the lead acting as Taoca.
July 24, 2007
Carlos Diegues is the worst director EVER. I haven't seen this film, but I'd rather not based on his previous work.