God Bless America - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

God Bless America Reviews

April 9, 2016
It was like watching a movie that I would have written. Poorly done, but the dialogue, plot and motivations were so satisfying it was ever so slightly disturbing.
½ April 3, 2016
The movie opens with his thoughts about his inconsiderate neighbours. That's me. And then there's the office rant. I'm gonna like this movie. And although there is alot more of his frustrated ranting, and a great scene in the cinema, i became a little disappointed when it turns into Bonnie and Clyde. I'd also like to add, why does he even bother to sit and watch the trash on TV? He could watch DVD's, movies, or documentaries would be much more up his street.
½ April 1, 2016
Sometimes i think just like that Frank-dude and shoot some stupid people , fun stuff ...Roxy was maybe a bit of an unbelievable caracter. Good
½ March 18, 2016
A revelation on how American popular culture has been perverted. This is a blunt, and tactful representation of what society will not admit. Here, the victims perpetuate the problem, and do not concern themselves with the collateral damage, nor the destruction of the truth in people's lives.
February 27, 2016
Fun and worth a watch. The premise has more potential than is actually executed. The style of the societal criticism is off-putting at times. Dialogue was a bit stiff, especially during the social commentary.
February 21, 2016
I think the movie had a good premise, but wasn't able to bring it to its full potential. I can't believe its only 8 o' clock.
½ January 31, 2016
Bobcat Goldthwait's God Bless America is a very entertaining dark comedy that is nice to see a dark comedy done well. After watching it, my sister thought it was stupid which I figured she wouldn't like it as she's, perhaps, not a fan of the dark comedy genre which the last film from that genre that she seen was You're Next to hitch I agree with her that that's a stupid movie. The acting is great, and the chemistry between the main characters is quite adorable that is more like a partnership then a relationship. The writing is really great, although it gets a bit out of hand with the vulgar language or the rants that last for a bit too long. The dark humor in this is really funny which seeing a teenager talk about wanting to kill next just made me laugh for odd reason which got me very invested in this. I see what it's trying to do and it made it thought-provoking and is a way to look at world problems these days. God Bless American is a really great indie film that I like to see more of the actors that were in this.
January 26, 2016
God Bless America had the potential to be a classic satire; two people fed up with the current selfish nature of the world decide to exact "vigilante justice"...by killing every reality star, Bible thumper, and right wing nut they can; but with an over-reliance on preachy monologues, and very irritating characters, God Bless America is really only for the most pessimistic viewer. Props goes to the love for Alice Cooper though.
½ January 11, 2016
If you've got a twisted sense of humor and a disdain for mean people, reality TV, radio shock-jocks, and news-sensationalizing networks like Fox News, you will love this quirky movie! The script is brilliantly written. It will shock you and make you laugh out loud.
½ January 6, 2016
God Bless America starts out hot, but slowly and miserably drags on, leaving a bad taste in your mouth at conclusion. Fan of satire? You'll love the first hour.
January 6, 2016
Brilliantly made. Creates political controversy and bashes the incompetence of modern society's politics, tv, etc,..
January 3, 2016
Every dialogue seems to be a very scripted, pretentious rant about what people usually dislike about mainstream trends, but it's very hard not to feel good when they start taking out assholes. So, I think the message is not something people won't take seriously, but at least the ride is enjoyable. The only bad thing is that I'm left with an empty feeling when they didn't get to kill all the people Frank knew from before he started the journey.
½ December 28, 2015
Thrillingly dark and unnervingly hilarious, God Bless America is a satirical take on modern society like no other.
November 15, 2015
"I mean, why have a civilization anymore if we no longer are interested in being civilized?"
This is going down on a list of greatest quotes ever.

This takes a lot of what I hate about America and shoots it in the fucking face. Now don't get my wrong, I love my country. And this movie existing is one of the reasons. We have the power to criticize it. Think of this movie as a follow up to Natural Born Killers. While that was satire about how the media is poisoning the country, this is about attacking the public that fell victim to that poison. I love how easily this movie side steps which political party it lands on. Shoots them all but lets you know that I agree with things from both sides. What I'm really against is your complete lack of moral and human decency. This is one of those movies that you either are along with or you aren't, you get or you don't. If you get it, you wish that Frank had a few more monologues, if you don't, you'd think it was advocating random shooting sprees. And I'm finally glad that someone publicly spoke out about Juno and Diablo Cody. The script is great and Joel Murray's performance turns it into gold. Newcomer Tara Lynne Barr surprised me and I'm really excited to see what becomes of her after this. The relationship that the develop is really wonderful. There are some really sweet moments in this film between the two leads that feel like they should belong in another movie. But they work so well to develop this bond between them it only strengthens it. It isn't a huge film, without a large budget, but well made. It never falls victim to it's lack of money. With it's brilliant dialogue and good direction it's hard to believe that a guy who found fame in the 80's by talking weird made this. Really look forward to seeing what come's next from Bobcat Goldthwait.
November 6, 2015
I appreciate the thesis, but overall the result is heavy handed, and barely merits the excellent speech in the film's finale. Fast forwarded through most of it. The gratuitous violence and mostly depressing satire really don't seem worth the running-time.
½ November 6, 2015
God Bless America is a story of Frank, a depressed man, and Roxy, a 16-year-old girl. The two go on a mission to kill people who they believe "deserve to die."

Finally. A movie big enough to make to theaters that points out what is wrong with the American public.

The independent film has the dark humor that only some will enjoy. This is the only movie that can make you laugh during a suicidal scene. Murders are blatant and are not hidden whatsoever. This is a bold film.

The true star is Tara Lynne Barr. Barr plays Roxy, a 16-year-old with lots of energy, or "A.D.D. Juno," as Frank puts it. She isn't like most girls in her class. Instead of hanging out with the most popular girl in the school, Roxy secretly despises her and wishes she were dead.

At some points during the film, the script seemed bland and tasteless. Then again, some scenes have Frank go on long, moving speeches that will have one rethink his or her lifestyle. Frank points out the wrong in society, including bad television, hate groups, and people who talk in theaters.
"Why have a civilization anymore if we no longer are interested in being civilized?"

Overall, this is a great indie film. Every person with Netflix should give it a shot; it may just teach you something.
November 3, 2015
God bless this movie
November 2, 2015
A brute and hilarious dark comedy that you feel bad (yet satisfied) for laughing with.
John K.
½ October 21, 2015
A misanthrope is not an automatically interesting character and criticizing society in such a bland and petty way is overdone. I've heard people call this a satire, but if it's a satire of people who complain about society all the time than I sure missed it.