God Is Great and I'm Not Reviews

• Feb 06, 2013

It took a while to get into the pace and structure of this film as we are exposed to various snippets of these incredibly frustrating character's lives. I definitely enjoyed the second half of this movie more for what reason I'm not entirely sure although it would make sense that it was beacuase I was accustomed to the rhythm of the film and wanted to see what became of these two self involved characters. Not a charming or overly likeable french film but worth checking out if you enjoy Audrey in other films.

• Aug 06, 2012

Moé ... vaut le coup d'oeil pour les prestations d'Audrey Tautou et Edouard Baer ... pas plus.

• Jul 21, 2012

The movie was watchable but that's the best thing that I can say about it! The ending was extremely random and this movie was just an unoriginal, obnoxious mess that relied on the performances of Audrey Tautou and Edouard Baer for success!

• Spencer S Super Reviewer
    Dec 18, 2011

I had high hopes for this, as every Audrey Tatou film I have ever seen has been especially cute and quirky, but I still don't know what to make of this melange of artistic style and pretension. It's obviously trying to be a romantic comedy or at least an eccentric take on relationships, but it's simply just annoying. The premise of the film is that a lax Jew starts dating a seriously messed up woman who is trying to find herself through Buddhism, Catholicism, and finally Judaism. Eventually she becomes intense on the subject and wants him to re-experience his faith. This could have been fairly deep, but they try to work in so much more including abortion, attempted suicide, and life after love. It's a cacophony of Tatou's strange oddness and yet her perseverance to find some semblance in meaning when she does something she finds morally reprehensible. The beginning, that includes her breakdown and subsequent anxiety, worked really well and made me think the rest of the film would be deep and poignant. Instead it became a feeding frenzy for Edouard Baer's character and Tatou's to fall in love all the while fighting. Though they have this amazing chemistry that simply sizzles onscreen, their actual dialogue is so annoying and useless that I actually became enraged while reading the subtitles and listening to their whiny voices complain about each other's every flaw. The film incorporate chapters, highlighted with notepaper shots, and sometimes uses scenes in English. I suppose this was for a global market, but I don't see how a small film like this could have had any impact anyway. It's usually touted as a light romantic comedy but nothing about this is ever light. Everything is over the top and overly dramatic. The plot is so disjointed that I can't surely tell if what I'm seeing is the full timeline, or a memory, or this rambling set of events that make sense in this strange world they've created. The film ends with to be continued, but no sequel was made, and if they were going to leave it like that all along, it's just a lazy, empty gesture. I am so sad about this film; I may have to have faith in someone else.

• Jul 10, 2011

Meandering and not very interesting

Meandering and not very interesting

• Apr 22, 2011

God is Great, and I'm not is a great film about self-finding and the prospect of religion in relationships. Tautou carries this film so beautifully and masterfully that it would not be the same without her. Contrary to wide acclaim, this film is enjoyable and poignant. A great little foreign gem.

• Mar 09, 2011

it was only a matter of time until i saw a tautou film i couldnt care less about

• Feb 15, 2011

Four star rating just for the line "I dont believe in god,i dont believe in love...i just believe in you" awesome flick,Audrey Tatou is fantastic in this movie.

• Feb 10, 2011

I expected a lot more.

I expected a lot more.

• Dec 05, 2010

Has its moments, particularly early on when the film's style is fresh and new, but it soon becomes apparent that the movie has very little to say, but it's going to say it very often. Tautou is the highlight of the movie, as her winning personality makes the film bearable in its dreadfully dull last act. Her boyfriend on the other hand doesn't fare too well. He's egomaniacal, harsh, selfish, and not at all worthy of all the time and energy Tautou's character puts into trying to make the relationship work. Because he's so unappealing, there's no desire to see this couple work out, and the movie becomes a slog of uncomfortableness to the bitter end.