God Loves Uganda - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

God Loves Uganda Reviews

½ December 24, 2015
For awhile, I was having a hard time tracking this film down because I had convinced myself that it was called God Hates Uganda. Here we have the story of local and foreign evangelists competing for the hearts and minds of Ugandan citizens with little regard for the hatred that they brew.
½ September 6, 2015
this is propaganda I never herd of a Christian wishing death penalty for homosexuals but yes preach against it and that offends the lesbian gay trans rights group so they attack relegion
July 13, 2015
This was disturbing to me on so many levels. As someone who was raised Southern Baptist, I recognize the earnest desire among the young people on the mission trip to Africa to bring people to Christ, yet I also see the blindness when it comes to the poverty there. The lack of separation between church and state is also terrifying. How many evangelicals would like to see a Muslim leader creating laws regulating morality? And yet, no one seems to have a problem with laws codifying Christianity as the law of the land. A truly thought-provoking documentary.
March 26, 2015
An extremely well done documentary that shines a light on just how immoral it is to try and convert an entire nation on the basis of compassion.
February 17, 2015
From start to finish I found this video disgusting. Religion can be a beautiful thing. But in this documentary it is nothing but an infectious disease. The fact that a church spends it's energy fighting homosexuality and spreading hatred is beyond disturbing. But what makes this really beyond belief is that people are actually listening to this. Watch this, share it, and discuss it. Get people to watch this documentary because this is something that needs to be talked about.
½ January 15, 2015
Great documentary .. America exporting their religion to the poorest nations...in the worst form..of intolerant, retrograde evangelical extremists...
December 30, 2014
Scary, but interesting.
December 4, 2014
I am really upset with this documentary that is spreading lies and propaganda to the whole world. Stop demonizing Uganda for stepping out and refusing to accept Homosexuality in it's society and moral values. First and foremost Homosexuality is not inborn and not natural, it's a habit that is evolved through emotional decisions.
Secondly our cultures in Uganda DO NOT allow nor do they accept homosexuality , so Americans please respect out cultural moral values and stop implementing your wrongful ways of homosexuality in our land to push forward your political agendas while threatening to stop sending aid or international relations.

As a christian according to the bible it clearly states in Leviticus 18:22 You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination.

So what message are you preaching you so-called evangelists?
Please respect our decisions. No African comes to America to force our cultures on them. I am so upset with this documentary that stains Uganda the Pearl of Africa.
November 28, 2014
Not a big fan of documentaries so I am going to pass on this.
½ November 14, 2014
"God Loves Uganda" approaches this intersection of faith and politics with some fairness and a good deal of outrage.
October 31, 2014
El fanatismo religioso es cosa peligrosa :O
October 25, 2014
Great documentary about some truly scary stuff. Shows how American-style religious fundamentalism is an extremely dangerous doctrine for certain groups that don't conform to the literal interpretation of ancient biblical scripts.
October 12, 2014
Compelling documentary about the U.S. Evangelical Right's deeply troubling influence on Uganda and its Anti-Homosexuality bill, here personified by International House of Prayer's Lou Engle, a man whose charisma appears to stem from a voice that sounds as if the man is in a perpetual state of falling down to his knees, sobbing, in praise of the Lord Almighty. His ministry is sending out clean-cut, brainwashed, young men and women to send his message of world domination and hate, in the guise of Love. Deeply, DEEPLY scary!
September 21, 2014
Williams gets out of the way of his subjects and lets them speak for themselves. Evangelical Christians (mostly from the International House of Prayer) are given plenty of screen time to describe their mission. Possibly even more screen time than those describing the harm they see resulting from Christian colonialism. There are also some interesting contrasts in how American policies change the way aid is provided from administration to administration and how the recipients adjust to keep aid coming.

I found particularly intriguing the segments of earnest young evangelicals proselytizing to bemused Ugandans who don't seem to have any idea what these white kids are about and appear to just want them to be done and go away. When engaging street vendors, it's pretty obvious that the Ugandans are kept in the engagement economically because the kids are buying things from them and may buy more. We don't see what keeps the Ugandans engaged with the young missionaries when they are visited at their homes but I imagine that they are probably putting up with these kids because they also bring some sort of actual benefit in the form of goods or services.

The one disappointing flaw in the movie is the manner in which the International House of Prayer is introduced; beginning with a series of shots of run down or abandoned Kansas City storefronts bearing signs likely to elicit negative reactions in the movie's target audience and then moving directly from those disgust-inducing images, directly to IHOP, carrying over the elicited response to the new target. It's the same sort of disgust-induced morality ploy displayed later in the movie when a Ugandan politician uses images of gay men engaged in unusual and messy acts to elicit a visceral response against homosexuality from his audience. Williams isn't nearly as heavy handed, but it's the same technique.

Other than that, though, very well done.
½ September 10, 2014
It's commendable that this film tried to shed light on the horrifying influence of conservative Christian values on Uganda. I think a lot of what this film showcases needed to be seen and speaks a lot about the political affiliation that these religions push on countries that don't have the same rights and freedoms as those protected in other countries. The interviews were solid, and following the IHOP missionaries was intriguing, but the correlation between these people and Uganda needed to be made clearer. There is legislation in Uganda against homosexuality, but there was nothing about the violence enacted against these people, the discrimination, and the countless deaths. The funeral scene was a good start and showed human kindness exists in Uganda, but it didn't show the true impact of these people and their heinous causes. A very beautiful film overall, it still showed the Ugandan societal landscape, and what has changed its features in the past thirty years.
½ August 28, 2014
"God Loves Uganda" is yet another in a recent series of documentaries that detail the heinous actions of the evangelical, conservative right-wing in America. This time around, we are shown how groups operating under the guise of "helping" impoverished African communities spread systemic homophobia, the subsequent persecution of LGBT peoples on a global scale and how a special emphasis on Uganda is allowing this ignorance to infect and damage the nation as a whole. We are shown how American conservatives held Ugandan aid hostage until the government converted to an abstinence-only sex education policy, and how this undid the progress against HIV that was made under the Clinton administration with comprehensive sex education practices. We are shown how extremists from the United States influenced the government to draft a bill making homosexuality punishable by death. The usual nonsense is on display (religious leaders referring to homosexuality as being "demonic", brainwashed individuals rolling around on floors, sobbing while in prayer, pastors living in massive homes while they take money from their congregation, indoctrinated children, teenagers getting married, men claiming that women are their gifts/possessions, etc.) but to see the result of religious imperialism in action is not only powerful, but enraging.
½ August 26, 2014
It's funny how Christians can think that Gods solution to a problem is get the country to pass a law that criminalizes it. Imagine making drinking too much alcohol illegal in the US overnight, isn't that a sin where alcoholism destroys many families every year. No , God offers freedom of the spirit and soul and body from the old nature by new spiritual birth which is divine in its properties. The effects of sending gays into hiding because you've made them out to be criminals isn't even close to what God offers as a solution to life's problems, in fact it isn't a solution at all. Yet many Christians are behind this law, which if found guilty the person could be in prison for life! We need wisdom people before you go out marching in the name of Jesus.
August 26, 2014
Very informative much better than expected
August 17, 2014
I have family and friends who have been Christian missionaries throughout the world. They were well intentioned, kind people, and I believe they have made a positive impact to people's lives.

In Uganda, I have no doubt that many of the missionaries who have gone over are the same, well intentioned, kind people, but when Uganda comes out with legislation like the 'Kill the Gays', questions do need to be asked.

Director Roger Ross Williams points the finger directly at these missionaries, for sowing the seeds of homophobia, which have now manifested itself in such hatred and violence.

The missionaries are not directly to blame, no question, but at times the west needs to accept that some of our neo colonialist policies in these regions, can have serious repercussions.
July 29, 2014
premiered at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival.

God Loves Uganda has won the following awards:

Full Frame Inspiration Award at the Full Frame Documentary Film Festival
Grand Jury Prize for Best Documentary at the Dallas International Film Festival
Best Feature Length Documentary at the Ashland Independent Film Festival
Audience Award Documentary at the Mountain Film Festival
Best Overall Documentary at the DocuWest Film Festival
Sheffield Youth Jury Award at the Sheffield Doc/Fest
Grand Jury Pink Peach Feature at the Atlanta Film Festival
Jury Award for Documentary Feature at the Tampa International Gay and Lesbian Film Festival