Du xia II zhi Shang Hai tan du sheng (Back to Shanghai) (God of Gamblers III) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Du xia II zhi Shang Hai tan du sheng (Back to Shanghai) (God of Gamblers III) Reviews

½ July 16, 2014
What a disgrace to the original God of Gamblers which was a great standalone of 80s HK. Now you've got Part 3 which should be called All For The Winner 3 because there's no resemblance to the first. This is about psychic powers and time travel. Jesus Christ.

The best part of it is it's fairly entertaining. The police captain from Curry & Pepper reprises his role which is bizarre, and Billy Chow "pre-prises" his unforgettable role as Fujita from Fist of Legend...4 years in advance. Strange.

You can tell Wong Jing is directing. The comedy is mostly great / copied from Airplane and Bugs Bunny. Everything else blows.
½ October 21, 2013
Doesn't seem interesting.
December 9, 2010
Thursday, December 9, 2010

(1991) God of Gamblers III: Back To Shanghai
(In Chinese with English subtitles)

After the first one did so well, the cast of Stephen Chow and sidekick Man Tat Ng return again, except this time the silly plot involves going back to the past to confront bad guys! Expect spontaneous sight gags that can sometimes be too over the top but work extremely well with this film except that it is not as funny as # 2! Ray Lieu, and Gong Li stars this time but their roles are somewhat miniscule!

3 out of 4
October 31, 2009
Used to watch this movie every single day after coming back from school. Never bored of it. He's a very talented funny actor. I call him my God of Laugh!
½ October 19, 2009
September 6, 2009
Another sequel in the series, this one sees Stephen Chow and Ng Man Tat transported back in time during the Chinese Civil War/Japanese occupation. The Japanese are shown to be ruthless and Stephen Chow has to beat their gambler in order to save his relative.
March 9, 2009
Theres a GOD, theres a Knight, and now a Saint I LOVE IT
February 25, 2009
yo iki dewa gemblung...
½ February 24, 2009
the fact that there is much to be done to be the best if great... the joke's were funny... and some were just dumb... but it still get's me to laugh..
February 8, 2009
More silliness, less gambling in the third God of Gamblers movie. With no Andy Lau to hold him back, Stephen Chow gets more room to do his own routines, which sometimes are painfully childish but mostly hilariously funny. And about halfway through there's a fabulous song and dance number that makes me wish Wong Jing had turned this whole movie into a musical. Pork buns!
August 26, 2008
Check out the fight scene!!!! I like!!!!
April 16, 2008
There's a God of Gamblers? No wonder the Chinese love to go to Las Vegas and Macao.
March 29, 2008
omg its soooo funny i guess i have to say this is his best movie i have seen
½ March 22, 2008
Sing gets stuck in the past and uses a giant mobile phone to communicate with the present. Lots of weird jokes and goofy special effects make this enjoyable, but I was lost.
½ March 19, 2008
i saw this like 8 times last summer. funny stuff.
March 11, 2008
one of Stephens Chow's movie...
u can watch many times n still gt to laugh...
one of those...just for laughs movies
½ March 10, 2008
I do feel happy for Stephen's "All For The Winner" pays off and he gets to make "God of Gamblers 2" but this one is ridiculous. This movie lack the GoG's intelligence, GoG2's action and suspense, and AftW's entertaining stupidity. As much as I like Stephen, I still have admit that this is a very crappy movie. One more thing, Man Cheung is far hotter than Gong Li, I rather have her as the lead actress than appear at the end of the movie.
March 1, 2008
The real Ding Lik is much more better looking than the one in TV...