God Said 'Ha!' - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

God Said 'Ha!' Reviews

June 7, 2015
I Don't Like Female Film Actors And I Don't Look Them Up On The Internet.
December 13, 2014
Outstanding. Deserves every award its won and more.
May 4, 2014
I was never familiar with Julia Sweeney in any way. I've never watched any of her Saturday Night Live stuff, any of her other films, and none of her stand-up routines. I picked this film up on VHS out of curiosity and I'm glad that I did because I sure got a hell of a surprise out of it.

The film is basically a stand up routine by Julia Sweeney on a single set where she talks about events of her life starting with a divorce from her husband a few years earlier. Hoping she would begin living a great single life as she dreamed, her world was suddenly turned upside down when her brother, Michael was diagnosed with cancer.

After she moved him into her home, her parents soon moved in with her to help care for Michael and things begin to get really crazy for Julia ranging from small things like her parents bothering over small things, having to change the way she speaks to her parents, random events that happen to her, to major things regarding Michael and her own health problems that develop. With all these things that happen, she still finds darkly humorous elements to all these problems to cope with all the despair and heartbreak that occurs, but also talking about the good times and the funny times.

It's basically all about finding humor in life, even during its darkest and most challenging days. It's about life, death, love, heartbreak, humor, and so much more in a way that never feels sappy or pretentious, but honest, sweet, and darkly funny.

While a number of people don't like God Said, "Ha!" because it's basically a recording of Juila Sweeney giving a stand up routine on a single set, rather than having a moving plot, shall we say, I found myself absorbed and engaged just listening to her talk about all her stories, whether they were small, everyday things, or the challenging parts, I was never once bored simply listening.

It made me laugh, it made me choke up, and I loved every story she told because she did so with such energy and life. She also managed to find an effective balance of humor and heartbreak, which is something many comedies struggle to do, but she also delivered and honest and sincere film that felt very real with her life stories.

God Said, "Ha!" is one of the best film-watching surprises I've ever had, as well as being one of the best comedies I've ever seen. It's deceptively simple with its obviously low budget and single set for which she tells her stories, but her stories are what make it a more complex, engaging, and absorbing film that is brutally honest about life, while also finding the humor in the complexities of life. I loved every minute of it and it delivers in ways I can only wish most other dramedies could.
August 30, 2013
number 1 stand up comedy
November 13, 2012
Excellent entertainment, one of the more underrated one-person shows around.
½ March 13, 2012
Quentin Tarantino executive produced this film version of Julia Sweeney's one woman show. Julia Sweeney recounts taking care of her brother during his battle with lymph cancer, having her parents move in, and her own battle with cervical cancer. The performance runs the gambit between absolute hilarity and the deeply touching. I highly recommend this movie.

Best Quotes:
"...I decided to do something a little unhealthy and dangerous. And for me, that meant I was gonna smoke myself a cigarette and buy the new book by the Pope."

"I love my shunt!"
½ February 6, 2012
I've never had to deal with anything like this, but I cried anyway.
½ March 29, 2011
I hate to say this about someone's deeply felt experiences---but this was horribly boring and Julia Sweeney's voice was beyond annoying to me as were her mannerisms. This is one of the few films that I actually had to shut off before it was over....in fact, before being half-way through. Awful, awful, awful. (Sigh) Live and learn.
January 20, 2010
Interesting concept with Julia Sweeney discussing cancer in the guise of a stand up routine...but it just doesn't work.
½ June 16, 2009
I recommend this movie to anyone who likes to laugh, but especially to oncology nurses. This movie is similar to Wit with Emma Thompson, because Wit is also the first-person narrative of a woman with cancer. However, Wit is dark; God said, Ha! is hilarious.
July 29, 2008
Brilliant & painful.
½ July 9, 2008
It's kind of a weird experience, because one minute you're laughing at her humorous take on her own life... and the next, you're feeling sympathy for the tragedy that she's been through. Really interesting stuff here. It's pretty engaging from beginning to end, and Sweeney serves as a good speaker through it all; I was expecting this to be more of a documentary (which, I guess, it sort of is), but I ended up really enjoying the one-woman-show format. It's heart-breaking and hilarious, all at the same time; which is something that few films have been able to accomplish.
½ June 28, 2008
Julia Sweeney delivers an extended monologue that's so exquisitely written and so emotionally touching that she manages the near-impossible task of captivating the audience for 85 minutes.
½ June 23, 2008
Julia Sweeney is beautiful and hilarious. I imagine the David Sedaris crowd would dig it. This film (basically a filmed one-woman show) has that same sort of humor/pathos mix.
June 22, 2008
Julia Sweeney's best work. I'd make a joke here, but it seems inappropriate.
April 30, 2008
This one-woman stage show is not laugh-out-loud funny (her brother, then she, both develop cancer), but very bittersweet and moving.
½ April 23, 2008
I watched this because I had 3 people in my family diagnosed with cancer, two of them lost there lives too it. This movie honestly though hardly even talks about it. It merely uses these people being diagnosed to tell a bunch of mini stories that happend during the 9months her parents and family lived with her again.
It's hardly funny. If I wanted to see something like this I would watch a stand up comedy night, not rent a movie. It's one woman, standing in one room, telling a boring and non-funny story for a long time.
It's not good at all.
April 19, 2008
Drama monologue. If you are expecting comedy, you'll be disappointed. But it is very good, especially if you are dealing with similar issues yourself.
April 17, 2008
beautiful movie to watch. Julia Sweeney really has a talent and a way of expressing herself that absorbs you into her story ...laugh, cry, reflect, great movie ...
½ April 11, 2008
Wow. I laughed I cried. Miss Sweeny what can I say - you spoke to me and I heard you. Thank you for sharing this part of your life.