God Told Me To - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

God Told Me To Reviews

May 5, 2016
Some crazy stuff in this one, but it certainly was memorable. Get the summary right flixster!
May 2, 2016
Lo Bianco plays this part to the hilt and not even seeing the big space vagina close up can deter him from finding the truth. Actually an interesting film with lots of twists and nice pacing. Keeps you engaged. Sylvia Sydney is a treat. Some full frontal nudity adds to the fun.
½ January 3, 2016
One of my favorite Larry Cohen films is also one of his most off-beat. NYC detective, Tony Lo Bianco, is investigating a series of sniper shootings around the city, all with the shooters saying that God told them to do it. What the detective begins to discover is that there is a person or being claiming to be son of god returned to earth and is sending out his disciples to kill. I suppose you could say this film is kind of a gritty low budget version of something like "The Omen" with some "Chariots of the Gods" thrown in, but I'd say the ideas here are even more challenging than the slick Richard Donner film. Like many Cohen films, it unfolds like a police procedural with Lo Bianco uncovering mysteries surrounding virgin births, alien-like abductions and supernatural powers. It's a fascinating film, but I doubt it's a film that will appeal to most audiences. The cast also includes Sandy Dennis, Sylvia Sidney, Richard Lynch, and Andy Kaufman a policeman who goes on a shooting rampage at the Saint Patrick's Day parade.
½ December 27, 2015
produced, written & directed by larry cohen he was the NYC equal to west coast's roger corman
½ September 10, 2015
Brilliant work by Larry Cohen!
July 30, 2015
Odd little flick as only Larry Cohen can do.
June 24, 2015
This is exactly what is missing in modern (particularly post-80s)horror films. Take note, young Sam Raimi wannabes... Gore and pointless nudity are not enough to make a true cult classic. This movie is a prime example as it contains no real gore and only a little nudity- and it's done for horror value more than cheap arousal. This movie epitomizes the weird plotting and over-the-top social commentary of the old B-flicks. I still can't say I fully understand what exactly the metaphysical reality is that was being portrayed... but I do know what it was in rebellion against- and that's what counts. The weirdness of the plot will keep you hooked in, much in the way of a Lovecraft story (the kind of horror story that usually doesn't do well on film). And you'll be asking questions at the end.
½ March 4, 2015
For as cheap and low budget as it is, it's a decent attempt. The problem is the first half of the movie is just the same basic stuff happening over and over again (someone kills someone and says "God told me to"). We don't really get the turn in the plot until about halfway through, and it kind of comes out of nowhere and makes the whole thing kind of difficult to understand because of it. The second half is far more interesting, but I was having trouble following it because my attention had faded at this point. It felt like a Larry Cohen movie at least, but it wasn't his best. I feel I may have to watch this one again because right now I'm not much of a fan and this is the second time in my life I've had trouble sitting through it because I was bored.

On another note, the blu-ray is a mediocre transfer. Nothing special in my opinion.
½ December 6, 2014
An interesting paranormal/religious/horror/cop flick that tries going in too many directions at once.
½ October 17, 2014
Larry Cohen might not be the most sophisticated filmmaker but he is one of the most unbridled in terms of the inherent lunacy of New York. In the harrowingly scary 'God Told Me To', a sniper shoots bystanders from a water tower and Tony Lo Bianco is nonplused to unearth that the culprit committed the heinous in the name of God. Richard Lynch is photographed in a fluorescent halo that gives him both a messianic aura and an otherworldly glow. He is a genuinely galvanizing figure in a furnace room scene where Lo Bianco is unscathed during an uncontrollable fire. Somehow the vise grip wreathes the viewers with an enigmatic angle with Lo Bianco's inquiry over immaculate conception and the second coming of a Christ-like figure. The crisis-of-faith storyline overrides the brainwashing horror but 'God Told Me To' is a crazily ambitious gem in Cohen's forte.
July 13, 2014
Strange blend of religion, science and violence...--Unique, gutsy, on the run film making!!
½ July 2, 2014
Starts off with quite a good premise, lots of people randomly committing murders before explaining it with the title line. About the half way mark though it completely loses its way, something about aliens, something abduction, something religious, something...something...bizarre.
½ March 25, 2014
Ah, Larry Cohen. So many brilliantly strange ideas, but so little money to bring them to life. This is one of his better films in my opinion, although the photography is amateurish and the editing seems to have been performed by a mediocre first-year film student. Tony Lo Bianco is a police detective investigating a series of apparently random homicides performed by seemingly ordinary people who tell the confused cop, 'God told me to.' From this basic set-up Cohen weaves a bizarre tale that is part cop thriller, part religious rumination, and part sci-fi headtrip. The cast (one of the best Cohen ever assembled) do a surprisingly good job, and take the material seriously. The main problem with the film is the aforementioned photography and cutting, which seem awfully rushed and ham-handed. I get the feeling that with a bigger budget the filmmakers could've ironed out all the creases and produced a more fully realized film. There are several memorable images to be found here, and the score does a good job of capturing the spirit of Bernard Herrmann's work (he was slated to score this film but died before he had the chance). Unfortunately the film is brimming with unintentional laughter including the lamentable casting of Andy Kaufman as a cop who goes on one of the god-sanctioned rampages (this was shot before Kaufman became a household name) and some black stereotypes that are hopefully too ridiculous to be all that offensive today (and which seem to have been imported from another film entirely). In spite of my complaints I find this movie immensely enjoyable, and fans of Cohen will definitely appreciate it. After all, it's certainly better than The Stuff.
June 11, 2013
What do you know, God told me to watch this film titled "God Told Me to". Sounds derange, but it's true! I must see it now.
November 21, 2012
prvite 30 min se super, za da posle zabega vo teski gluposti...
½ October 27, 2012
A wave of homocides in New York are committed by people who claim God told them to do it. The lead detective ends up killing for the same reason. Another interesting Larry Cohen film, one that I may have to watch again to fully appreciate.
Francisco G.
October 23, 2012
It's an interesting story that works for the most part. The mistery is nice at first, has some disturbing imaginary on a couple of scenes and one or two neat twists but are a bit forced and predictable. Technically, it's a horrible movie to look at with an atrocious camera work and unconvicing soundtrack. Passable.
March 31, 2012
I can't honestly say I enjoyed this, not entirely anyways. It had a few good moments in it, but not enough to warrant repeated viewings. It started out ok, with everybody getting shot at random...it was actually quite comical. :) I'm still confused on the whole God/Alien/Supreme Being device in the plot, but oh well. It was an interesting attempt anyway.
February 27, 2012
An underrated horror film, it's pretty chilling stuff
½ February 25, 2012
Batshit crazy genre mashup.