The Godfather - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Godfather Reviews

February 24, 2017
Very much ahead of its time. Perhaps timeless. Brilliant acting, music and cinematography. An gangster epic and a fantastic piece of cinema.
February 23, 2017
This is the masterpiece it is touted up to be.
February 23, 2017

Music - 7% - 7/7

Final - 100/100
February 21, 2017
Grade - C+
'The Godfather' is commonly regarded as one of the greatest movies ever made...so why did I just think it was 'good'? It's certainly well shot, and well acted (although Brando has been better, honestly), and the first 90 minutes are pretty solid. However, the huge leaps in time are both unexpected and annoying, and quite frankly at nearly 3 hours, by the end I'd sort of lost interest. It has many redeeming qualities and can safely be called a good movie. But a masterpiece, I think not.
February 18, 2017
One of the bst movies I've seen. Very interesting, and I'm looking forward to watching the second part.
February 18, 2017
This is the best movie that has ever been made or ever will be made. They might as well have just closed Hollywood when they wrapped production of The Godfather.
February 17, 2017
It's been years since I last viewed this. It's timeless. It hasn't aged at all, unlike a lot of more recent movies (even from the 2000s) that look so dated. Two scenes that stood out during this last viewing were the opening wedding celebration sequence and the Italian-Sicilian traditional wedding procession in Sicily.
February 12, 2017
What more is there to say? It's simply one of the top 10 films ever made.
February 11, 2017
still one of the greatest films ever
½ February 10, 2017
If that script was presented to a studio today, it'd be thrown in the trash.. the movie only works because of the story, the cast, and the music, maybe it was fine back in 1972, but I'm watching it in 2017, and I can tell you, it didn't age well.
February 10, 2017
These polls are very very misleading. The majority of users who voted in this poll are probably fans of the movie. If you polled 300 million americans ,35 percent of americans would say they either don't care for the godfather or don't like it or don't have an opinion on it. I think movie critics brainwash people into liking things. I am sorry but no way 98 percent of americans would give it a 3.5 grade or better. Sorry 300 million trumps 728,000 losers (who probably voted muliple times)
½ February 7, 2017
If "The Godfather" isn't considered the greatest film of all time, it's certainly somewhere in the top three. Its genius is pretty much indisputable as is its influence on film over the past four and a half decades. So rather than gush about the cinematography, iconic score, or earth-shaking performances like every other cinephile with a keyboard, I want to discuss something specific, something I believe scuffs what is otherwise a pristine work. Granted this is a lot like a scratch on a Lamborghini. It's annoying, but it's done nothing to hamper what is otherwise a marvel of automotive engineering. But like that scratch it stares at you, mocking you by its very presence. Once you see it, you can't unsee it, no matter how elevated the ride.

For "The Godfather," that scratch is its pacing. Though it creeps close to three hours long, it still feels like someone took a hacksaw to it in the editing room. Enormous time jumps happen without preface (a lot) and the resulting gaps are felt. It's like ascending a staircase with the occasional rotted-out board - an extravagant Victorian staircase trimmed with gold leaf, but it's still in need of restoration. The tail end of the second act marching straight into the conclusion are the biggest offenders in this regard. Michael Corleone's relationship with his wife Kay (though unimportant in the overarching narrative) is told in a few disparate beats and ends up feeling like it should have been left on the cutting room floor with the other untold orphan scenes.

That said, Coppola's crowning work doesn't want for narrative drive. "The Godfather" has always been more about grand, thematic arcs than intimate character moments. It does stumble in pacing the particulars, but what it offers in return more than makes up for this small inadequacy. We come to this film again and again for the iconic experience, the witnessing of one of the greatest pieces of visual literature. I'm not about to argue against that. 9.1/10
February 7, 2017
Will forever remain a classic
½ February 7, 2017
It board me a little
½ February 6, 2017
What to say? It's basically a masterpiece!
February 5, 2017
best film of all time a classic !watch you won't be disappointed
February 4, 2017
I can see why people love The Godfather. Its very well-done. Great acting, almost flawless script, and three-dimensional characters. However I personally found it boring and just not as interesting as Citizen Kane. Idk I adore what the film did for cinema and I definetly got some tid bits about film from this, but I personally just stopped watching it halfway through, it's not my cup of tea. Like I said I LOVED Citizen Kane, this just didn't resonate with me as much. But I give it 5 stars because it is a LANDMARK achievement for film and maybe one of the reasons that I do filmmaking.
February 2, 2017
The Godfather broke new cinematic ground with its complex, layered portrayal of a crime family and the moral downfall of its reluctant leader, cementing its place as a landmark of American cinema.
January 30, 2017
I know many will disagree, but I think these films are highly overrated. A few great scenes with many long drawn out scenes that make it clear chore to watch. This one has enough scenes that make it passable for me, but I'm not a fan.
January 18, 2017
My favorite movie, The best film ever