The Godfather - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Godfather Reviews

July 25, 2016
Plot and actors are good but it is boring and overrated
½ July 20, 2016
I don't get what the big deal is with The Godfather movies. I watched all nine and half hours of it (for the first time) over the past few weeks and I wasn't very impressed. I'll agree that it was probably groundbreaking stuff for back in the early seventies, but these honestly wouldn't even make my top one-thousand, if I were to write one out now. A little bit too Italian for my taste. Too much talk, leading into small events that I wouldn't really classify as "greatest film in world cinema" material; like the archives state. I enjoyed all three of them equally no-more than average. In my opinion, there were more cons than pros in regards to rewarding moments within all three of the films.
July 20, 2016
Watched this classic again...never gets old.
½ July 18, 2016
I stand in defiance of human nature in my ranking of this movie. I simply don't get the appeal. Never have, probably never will.
July 18, 2016
In the top three biggest masterpieces of the history of cinema. Everything about this achievement is spectacular, from the great dialogue and acting, to a terrific story and nice cinematography. Marlan Brando and Al Pacino and the whole cast actually is good. This is a groundbreaking movie in general, of all the gangster movies to see, this is the best and most influencial. Indeed, it's three hours, but it doesn't really feel to long cause it's so good. Recommended !!
July 8, 2016
This Film is a masterpiece without a doubt, when I watched this film Coppola gave me an offer I could not refuse.
June 28, 2016
Classic. No other words needed to describe this masterpiece.
June 22, 2016
One of the best crime films ever made. Set the bar for future movies.
June 21, 2016
The Godfather truly shows what a cinema masterpiece is, it is perfect on a fronts, including acting, writing, directing, story, and cinematography, i would not change one thing about it
June 16, 2016
Excellent gangster film.
June 12, 2016
some go down the river of madness, but not here. Al pacino strongly show a man's journey down the river of success. Seeing him slowly change into a hard boiled mob boss, worse than his father, is superb and by the end you don't see him as an evil man because you watched him grow in strength and character.
June 11, 2016
an iconic film, really is a must see. the culture and depth is engrossing
June 11, 2016
Magnum Opus of Hollywood!
June 6, 2016
There's a reason why this always seems to be in any top 10 movies of all time list.
June 5, 2016
Epic. A tour de force of American cinema, Don Vito Corleone (Marlon Brando) is the head of the family "business." Michael (Al Pacino), a war hero, stakes his claim to his girlfriend, Kay (Diane Keaton), that he's different. No man is an island, however, and when Don Corleone is targeted after refusing to use his political connections, Michael has a choice between morality and vengeance.

A complex story of power, family, morality, and greed, the Godfather, rightfully so, sits a top one of the best movies ever made in America. Spectacular!
June 5, 2016
Turning a low budget proyect with low credibility among the producers themselves into one of the best films of all time, Francis Ford Coppola crafted this masterpiece based on Mario Puzo´s best selling novel by the same name. Feature then young actors Al Pacino and Diane Keaton, Marlon Brando delivered hands down the best performance of the film and one of the most iconic movie characters of all time as the big time crime boss Vito Corleone. Strong in all the major categories (script, directing, acting, cinematography and editing), no true film lover can go without watching this all time great.
½ May 28, 2016
Seen it probably 1000 times but it feels still fresh...a classic
May 26, 2016
"The Godfather" es la mejor película en la historia del cine (lo siento, Orson. "Citizen Kane" me parece fría, demasiado perfecta). Ninguna película ha podido o podrá acercase a la genialidad de la obra del director Francis Ford Coppola acerca de una "familia" conocida como los Corleone. Esto es arte de primer nivel: la fotografía de Gordon Willis es perfecta, la edición magistral, el guión de Mario Puzo es preciso y punzante, la música de Nino Rota es clásica. Y ni hablar de las actuaciones perfectas de Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, Diane Keaton, Robert Duvall, James Caan, John Cazale y Steling Hayden. Si usted es amante del cine, "The Godfather" es una oferta que no puede (ni debe) rehusar.
May 25, 2016
New York, 1945. Don Vito Corleone (played by Marlon Brando) is the aging Godfather of a mafia family. He has three sons - Sonny (James Caan), Fredo (John Cazale) and Michael (Al Pacino). Sonny is his natural successor but is impulsive, short-tempered and not much of a thinker. Fredo is overly passive. Michael is a war hero and looking to stay out of the family business. The Corleone family and the other four mafia families of New York and New Jersey have been at peace for several years now. Then one of the families decides to get into the illegal narcotics business and wants Don Corleone's help. Don Corleone decides that his family should stay out of narcotics. This has disastrous and far-reaching consequences, consequences that will suck Michael deeper and deeper into the family business.

Hard to come up with any more superlatives for this movie, as it is
rightfully regarded as one of the greatest movies of all time. Great
story, based on the book by Mario Puzo and adapted by Puzo and Francis Ford Coppola. Superb direction by Coppola - some wonderful moments of sensitivity and great drama scenes. Despite being nearly three hours long it doesn't feel like it at all. The movie is very well paced and there's always something happening. Coppola sucks you in from the word go and keeps you enthralled and engaged the whole time.

Excellent performances too. Marlon Brando well deserved his Best Actor Oscar, as did Al Pacino, Robert Duvall and James Caan their nominations for Best Supporting Actor. The movie launched Pacino's career and revitalised Brando's.

Beyond the pure art and entertainment of the movie, it defined, and set the benchmark for, the gangster-drama. There had been gritty crime-dramas before. In the 1930s and 40s we had several excellent James Cagney movies (White Heat from 1949 being the pick of the bunch), as well as the original Scarface and other crime dramas. In the 1940s and 50s there were some great film noir dramas. However, none of these had the grittiness, profundity and sheer breadth and depth of story of The Godfather.

So monumental its influence can be seen in the works of Scorsese (Goodfellas, especially), Tarantino, many other directors and, most overtly, the excellent TV series The Sopranos.

An all-time classic.