The Godfather - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Godfather Reviews

½ October 27, 2016
Excellent 1972 movie about an Italian American Mafia family, the Carleones based on the novel of the same name by Mario Puzo.
At 175 minutes long it has always put me off but I would agree it is certainly one of the best films I have ever seen.
It explores not only the gangster angle that you would associate with a Mafia film but the family angle that sways the attitude of one of the central characters Michael (Al Pacino) from a fully fledged 'civilian' US war hero to eventual Godfather of the Carleone family.
The casting is fantastic and contributed to the Oscar awards and nominations. They include a grainy voiced Marlon Brando (Don Carleone not Gerel from Superman), James Caan as older brother Sonny Carleone, Robert Duvall, Diane Keaton and Talia Shire as well as the already mentioned Al Pacino as Mike.
The cinematography of Sicilly, post war New York and set pieces including a horses head in somebody's bed, Sonny being machine gunned and a sunny wedding with Don indoors listening to requests for help from desperados are all memorable.
The whole film helped skillfully by director Francis Ford Coppull. Go on make the effort and watch it. Who dislikes this film?
I watched with the subtitles it certainly helped overcome some of the hard to understand dialogue. Perhaps twenty minutes could have been minced off the end? My only small criticism. Prego!
October 26, 2016
*** 'The Godfather' is commonly regarded as one of the greatest movies ever why did I just think it was 'good'? It's certainly well shot, and well acted (although Brando has been better, honestly), and the first 90 minutes are pretty solid. However, the huge leaps in time are both unexpected and annoying, and quite frankly at nearly 3 hours, by the end I'd sort of lost interest. It has many redeeming qualities and can safely be called a good movie. But a masterpiece, I think not.
½ October 11, 2016
It goes on a tad too long but for all it gets right its hard to fault it to much.
Grade: A-
October 11, 2016
Brilliant. Marlon Brando is excellent. A real old school mob movie with good charisma, great dialogue.
October 11, 2016
Transcendence to the early twentieth century pezzonovante era is inevitable while watching the movie. The intensity of organized crime has been depicted through the prism of one family. There is conspicuous silence which reverberates along with cold blooded violence through the entire journey. The movie intertwines intelligence and emotions in a seamless narrative. The confident divulgence of enemies plans of one's assassination by Godfather and his son seems so surreal yet riveting. The impeccable tandem of baptism and murder provide a fitting testimony to hypocrisies that dwells across all walks of life in the storyline.
October 9, 2016
The greatest film in cinema.
½ October 6, 2016
The Godfather is not just a classic, it is one of the all time greats. Perfect acting, great direction, just a little too bland at some points.
October 2, 2016
Fascinante, seria. Actuaciones de lujo, y una trama inolvidable llena de escenas memorables
September 27, 2016
Still without a doubt the Best Gangster Movie of all time! An absolute and unforgettable classic with Marlon Brando and Al Pacino in their best roles!
September 25, 2016
The Godfather is about as close as a film will ever get to perfect. That's all I can really say.
September 16, 2016
The Godfather(1972)
Starring: Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan, Richard S. Castellano, Robert Duvall, Sterling Hayden, John Marley, Richard Conte, Diane Keaton, Al Lettieri, Abe Vigoda, Talia Shire, Al Martino, Gianni Russo, John Cazale, Morgana King, Lenny Montana, Richard Bright, Alex Rocco, Vito Scotti, Julie Gregg, Simonetta Stefanelli, Jeannie Linero, John Martino, Corrado Gaipa, Franco Citti, and Saro Urz
Directed By: Francis Ford Coppola
An offer you can't refuse.
You know like the Jurassic Park movies whenever I would tell any who saw The Godfather that I loved movies but never saw The Godfather, they would say to me "what is wrong with you?" It took me forever to get to this film because I've been wanting to watch this for a while and I've seen Citizen Kane before this movie. But finally I've seen it and I like it more then Citizen Kane.
The story spans the years from 1945 to 1955 and chronicles the fictional Italian-American Corleone crime family. When organized crime family patriarch Vito Corleone barely survives an attempt on his life, his youngest son, Michael, steps in to take care of the would-be killers, launching a campaign of bloody revenge.
The Godfather(1972) is told entirely within a closed world. That's why we sympathize with characters who are essentially evil. The story by Mario Puzo and Francis Ford Coopola is a brilliant conjuring act, inviting us to consider the Mafai entirely on its own terms. Don Vito Corleone(Marlon Brando) emerges as a sympathetic and even admirable character, during the entire film his life-long professional criminal does nothing that, in context, we can really disapprove of. We see not a single actual civilian victim of organized crime. No women trapped in prostitution. No lives wrecked by gambling. No victims of theft, fraud, or protection rackets. The only police officer with a significant speaking is corrupt.
The story views Mafia from the inside. That is its secret, its charm, its spell, in a way its shaped the public perception of Mafia ever since. The real world is replaced by an authoritarian patriarchy where power and justice flow from the Godfather, and the only villain's are traitors. There is one commandment, spoken by Michael(Al Pacino): "Don't ever take sides against family."
It is significant that the first shot is inside a dark, shuttered room. It is the wedding day of Vito Corleone's daughter, and on such a day a Sicilian must grant any responsible request. A man has come to ask for punishment for his daughter's rapist. Don Vito asks why he did not come to him immediately.
This is indeed up their with one of the best films of all time and I loved this film. I'm giving The Godfather a five out of five.
September 12, 2016
Francis Ford Coppola's The Godfather. Two words Unique film
September 11, 2016
A classic among those who ardore the cinematic world.
September 1, 2016
Just watch this movie......

this is when movies were awesome BECAUSE they didn't need 3D or CGI....because they had amazing acting and a great story.
September 1, 2016
The BEST Mafia film ever!
August 28, 2016
In the top 5 films ever made.

9.9/10 Stars!
August 27, 2016
What can I say about one of the most remarkable films of cinema history ?, certainly any list you seek, is the Rolling Stone or syndicated actors, "Godfather" will be in the top 3 at least, not is less, see and witness the best that cinema has to present an extremely slow movie, 3 hours, but at the same time it is fast and keep it captivates and holds the viewer deeply during the I80 minutes I80 this that are pure tension, drama, suspense and intrigue, with impeccable script by Francis Ford Coppola which is based on the book by Mario Puzo (which also has a stake in the script), Godfather is one of those cases where the film is better than the book, as I had before, his script is impeccable, his rhymes triumphant narratives, their rhythm is perfect, the constitutions of their actions are a class of cinema, Marlon Brando makes a sPECTACULAR interpretation as little before seen in the movies, playing Don Vito Corleone he steals the movie scene in the first act, showing all his logic on ethics of the mafia, while its violence and brutality, in the second and third act who steals the film is the amazing Al Pacino doing an interpretation as ingenious when Brando in the role of Michel, Al Pacino gives an acting show, remained well contained, and completely changing your look from the beginning of the film, you really believe in Michael, the film photography is amazing and helps perpetuate the half dozen scenes that went to the story that this film contains, it is worth mentioning the scenes in Italy and baptized, as well the first 30 minutes of the film, the soundtrack is one of those that you listen and already feel the tone of the film, you play with music, and its perfection, worth highlighting Nino Rota for the soundtrack. Well, Godfather is a film that talks about mafia, drugs, death, violence, illegality, corruption, addiction, etc .. yet he is beautiful, beautiful, it seems ennoble impure acts at the same time cause the same disclaimers, but end you delights and surprises, because it also talks about family, loyalty, friendship and acceptance, watch this movie, even if it is your movie genre, at least try, there's no way you leave the loss with this work as striking the 7 art.

Sorry for my English translator google.
½ August 23, 2016
Most boring crap ever.
August 22, 2016
Couldn't get into it. Never liked gangster movies.