The Godfather - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Godfather Reviews

April 15, 2018
Best movie of all time
April 1, 2018
Realistic, violent, and stylized, The Godfather gets everything right.
March 13, 2018
the acting is maleficent ,explendid action scenes with full of blood ,music and picture are classics and good and bad are often confused ,although the duration is bigger than it should ,the ending is rewarding .this movie seems like a moral school .
March 13, 2018
The performances of every cast, the complex storyline, and its direction made this movie memorable and Oscar-worthy.
March 11, 2018
? mean why are they even st?ll mak?ng mov?es? the art was perfected ?n 1972
March 10, 2018
Arguably the greatest film of all time. Perfect scReeNplay and cAst. Oh, and the Score.
March 8, 2018
I do not understand the hype and legacy this movie enjoys. This is an average film at best, and if i had to choose a better mob movie then i would go with Goodfellas every time.

The film follows two story lines. There's Marlon Brando as "Don Corleone" and his dealings with the organized crime business. And then there is Al Pacino as "Michael Corleone" and his decent into the business, and how it corrupts and transforms him into a monster. You would think that by this description the movie must be tense, and interesting right? Well your wrong. The movie is boring, drawn out, and lacks any tension, or excitement. Not only that but i don't know if i was so bored that i just missed half the dialogue, or if it was never there to begin with. I was perpetually confused by the stuff happening in this movie because I wasn't getting any info as to what the characters were doing, or what was being set up.

If you really like mobster movies then by all means watch this film and talk about how awesome it is, but beyond that just look for a better movie, because there are a lot of them.
March 8, 2018
The greatest mafia film ever made, and one of the greatest films ever.
½ March 1, 2018
Finally took the time to give myself a real treat and watch this film again after about 20 years as I remembered it as a supremely good film. I have watched many movies from all over the world during the years and have developed a keen eye for good film making, so wanted to review one of the "greats".

After having watched it again, I have no choice but to face the fact that this film is indeed very poor film making and I have to admit that I feel embarrassed that I once actually considered this a good film!

The biggest gripe I have with this film is the unbelievably poor and unconvincing acting, devoid of any emotional depth whatsoever. Everybody is sterile and no-one is worth caring even the least bit about.

Secondly, almost every opportunity for character dynamics and development is missed. The only character that is developed is Michael Corleone's and even that character is changing from one extreme to the other, in an instant, with no transition whatsoever. The result is characters as mere moronic caricatures to the point of absurdity. A staggering waste of talent.

To top it off, the storyline is thin and highly predictable, simply an unforgivable waste of potential.

The organised crime genre of films have always fascinated me and continue to do so. With so many truly great films in this genre, don't waste your time on this one. The Godfather is one of the worst.
February 27, 2018
película indiscutible para ver. Un clásico de clásicos
February 24, 2018
Exceptional movie, like visual crack..as addictive as any movie can get.
February 24, 2018
Cant really remember much of it
½ February 23, 2018
Continually lauded as one of the best films ever made, it in fact amounts to little more than three hours of men sitting around talking. Imagine the most boring meeting you have ever had at work, double the boredom and then imagine it went on for three hours, then you start to get some idea of what watching The Godfather is like.
February 17, 2018
1001 movies to see before you die.
½ February 16, 2018
I thought I might not like this one, but it was GOOD.
February 15, 2018
In my mind the greatest film ever made. Incredible actors, led by an incredible director, playing incredible characters, given and incredible script and putting on incredible performances.
½ February 15, 2018
The Godfather is a great movie that innovated the crime genre. It has a great story which (for a nearly 3 hour movie) moves quickly. We are brought close to the professional and personal lives of these mafia men, and when we see some of them gunned down, it's relatively hard-hitting. This was an innovation at the time: for a mafia film to bring us emotionally close to the characters. Perhaps the most shocking scene in the film (not to spoil anything) ends with a car riddled in machine gun bullets. Marlon Brando's performance as Don Vito Corleone can be seen as one of the most iconic performances/roles in film history: it is Brando transformed, and he's fun to quote back to. Like any movie that is labeled with such a "legendary" status, The Godfather is a tad overrated; but still very good nonetheless thanks to it's great story, performances, and iconic scenes.
½ February 12, 2018
It's only saving grace is that like its title this film is the Godfather for all other modern movies featuring the Italian Mafia that came after it. Other than that it is pretty outdated and features an overrated performance by Al Pacino.
February 7, 2018
El padrino de la mano del director Francis Ford Coppola y del escritor original del libro Mario puzo nos narra la vida de don Vito Corleone un mafioso quien junto a su familia y en conjunto con otras familias de Italia y de los estados unidos creo todo un imperio del crímen.
Para mí esta es una película ¡perfecta! Tiene todo lo que necesita una película para ser buena y mucha más. Comencemos con la trama; la trama del padrino están completa y compleja que te va a marcar, en cuanto termines de ver esta película te vas a sentir como perteneciente a la familia Corleone y realmente te vas a sentir dentro de la película.
Otro punto espectacular de el padrino es su reparto; cada actor hasta el más secundario se esmera, se meten de lleno en su papel y finalmente no sientes una actuación, sientes personas reales que en verdad están viviendo la trama.
La escena inicial de la película es una de las escenas más icónicas que uno podrá ver en una película, tenemos a un millonario rogando por ayuda a don Vito Corleone el cual no los presentan en una toma tan épica acariciando su gato y se puede sentir que ese hombre emana poder y tan solo en la primera escena de la película, pero conforme avance la película se nos va mostrando otra cara de don Vito Corleone una más humana como la escenas del hospital donde lo encontramos completamente débil o la escenas donde juega con uno de sus nietos en su jardín. Esto es saber actuar y saber darle vida a un personaje.
Recomiendo esta película a todo el mundo y sin duda la colocaría en una lista de películas para ver antes de morir. finalmente le doy a el padrino el honor de la 5 estrellas.
February 7, 2018
I'm not sure the mob in real life is this out of hand, but it's a very good film nonetheless.