The Godfather - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Godfather Reviews

July 21, 2017
Overcomes all expectations, even if someone tells you it is the best movie of all time. The kind of movie you hate to rate or talk too much about.
July 20, 2017
Brando's choice of accent makes the dialogue a little hard to understand, but it's tough to argue with anyone who says that this is the greatest movie ever.
½ July 18, 2017
A classic. Brilliant.
July 16, 2017
One of the greatest films of all time, this film was directed by Francis Ford Coppola and starring Marlon Brando as Vito Corleone and Al Pacino as Michael Corleone. It also stars James Caan (Sonny), Robert Duvall (Tom), Diane Keaton (Kay), Talia Shire (Connie), Alex Rocco (Moe) and Sterling Hayden (McCluskey). One of the greatest scenes ever featured in the film was Jack Woltz wakes up to find the head of his horse.
July 13, 2017
This book to film adaptation is faithful and very timeless. Considering how much I enjoy the book. This film shows how to make characters down to earth. I definitely recommend it for anyone who wants sharp story telling and thrilling action scenes.
July 13, 2017
A generational passing of the torch, not just in Brando bowing to the microwave-method acting generation of the 1970s, but also in the loss of innocence of American culture. The pervasive message of the film is that of grand failure - certainly not the patriarchal love story some audiences misinterpreted from the movie. The moment when Brando so subtly laments Michael's descent into amoral leadership is made ever more poignant when he realizes that all of his decisions in life came to fruition in this one nostalgic conversation - personally, a father's pointless apology; symbolically, an epic betrayal of American values. Maybe the first film was too subtle for its own good, which explains the more literal minded Godfather II and III.

It's unthinkable to create a list without including a "classic" screen villain, but I seriously doubt anyone can tell me that there is a protagonist more deviant, more irredeemable and more subtle, than Michael Corleone, played with robotic intensity and ferocious cunning by a young Al Pacino. Sure, he did more theatrical work in Scarface and Dog Day Afternoon, but The Godfather trilogy was his most ambitious acting challenge, solely because he was an antagonist not merely against the opposing mafia families, nor his delinquent brother Freudo, nor even his long-suffering wife. The true "hero" who died at the hands of this heartless antagonist was the boy's own father. Michael Corleone is the antagonist that reflects a wayward son, who buries a respectable family legacy, and who honors his hopeful father in the worst way possible.
July 11, 2017
As good as I thought it would be
July 10, 2017
I think it's a great movie with amazing acting. The movie is suspenseful with many twists and turns. But the downside with it is that it's just a bit to long and it moves really slow, which makes it hard to watch at times.
July 7, 2017
I don't want to watch this boring movie
½ July 7, 2017
The actions portrayed in this movie, more than perhaps any other crime drama, often feel warranted and this with the setting and beautiful shooting of the film culminate into a masterfully told story that though one can not condone, one can understand.
July 4, 2017
Phenomenal classic mafia mob movie starring al pacino and Marlon brando as the iconic godfather. This movie is suppository dubbed, the best movie of all time, I don't think so. It's a fantastic movie but greatest of all time, I don't know, maybe it has to sink in my brain for a little while. The cinematography is beautiful, it's really good. Now, onto the acting, the godfather, his voice is unprecedented, it's so unique that only he can do it and nobody else, I want to see someone to impersonate the godfather. The action is cool especially the scene with the assassin getting choked to death by the other family, his eyes popping out is just plain awesome. Can't wait to see the godfather part 2.
June 26, 2017
It is THE Godfather... 'nough said!!! A classic of all classics and deserving as such. Gripping storyline. Excellent dialogue and character development. Portrayed some of the real events in the Mob's history, which intrigues me as I've always been fascinated with the story. Being able to witness the inner-workings of a Mob family, watching the family dynamics, and witnessing some of the infamous meetings and operations of the Mob's history, all make this film one of the greatest of all time. Well directed and exceptionally acted. It's hard to remember at times that it's just a movie and I'm not actually witnessing the events portrayed!
June 21, 2017
Long live The Godfather!
June 13, 2017
This is what a movie should be.
June 12, 2017
The Godfather has been hailed by many to be the greatest movie ever made. After watching it, it's easy to see why.
Based off of Mario Puzo's novel, Francis Ford Coppola brings out his all in making this film possible.
The story revolves around the rise and fall of a mafia family led by Don Vito Corleone (Marlon Brando). Along with a side plot involving young Al Pacino.
First of all, that plot was extremely revolutionary and still is. It showed future filmmakers what a gangster flick should be like, and how good a movie can be in general.
The screenplay is what brought it together. It was written so well and in a unique way. Each character has his or her own story or personality. They were written in such a way that makes you care for them.
The acting had no flaw whatsoever. It started off good careers of Al Pacino and many others.
The cinematography was ahead of the time. Back then, it was near breathtaking.
Not to mention that it had more than many memorable moments. So many, that it has grown to be one of the most iconic films out there.
Almost all through the movie this song plays. An instrumental song that automatically fits in with every scene it's in.
What I'm trying to say is that everything works.
Over all, The Godfather is a masterpiece of filmmaking, and one that will go down as an example of a fantastic film. 5/5 stars
June 11, 2017
Best movie I've ever seen it's just spectacular I highly recommend these movies
June 11, 2017
This movie is just as excellent and mesmerizing as it was when it was originally released in 1972. A movie that draws you in from its excellent opening scene and never lets go. Al Pacino gives without a doubt the best performance of his career in a role he was born to play. It's unbelievable that he did not win the Academy Award for his performance as he should have. Though he very oddly refused the award, I feel that Marlon Brando deserved it. If I am not mistaken, not too long before his death Brando said he wanted the Oscar. Nice to see he came to his senses. The entire cast is at the top of their game. Francis Ford Coppola is just as excellent behind the camera as the cast is in front of it. See this movie once and you will immediately understand why this movie is considered one of the greatest ever made.
June 9, 2017
An absolutely masterpiece.Its 37 years past but still the best mafia movie that is ever made.Breathtaking performances by Marlon Brando and Al Pacino.
June 9, 2017
'The Godfather' is routinely considered one of the greatest films of all time for good reason. Francis Ford Coppola shot 90 hours of footage, whittling it down in the editing room to 3 hours of run-time, turning what the studio expected to be a pulpy gangster flick into a soaring epic.

Brando and Pacino and Caan and Duvall and Shire and Cazale and Keaton all get well-deserved credit for lending their talents to the film. But make no mistake--it's Coppola that makes this marionette puppet dance.

His screenplay--written alongside Mario Puzo--is masterful. His camerawork throughout the movie is ingenious. And his editing of the film is legendary.

Sure, a lot of people consider 'The Godfather: Part II' to be on equal footing, but I'll go to my grave arguing that the original was the purer and more compelling picture between the two.
June 8, 2017
The Godfather is ranked in the highest ranks of filmography, and deservedly so. The theme of Italian gangsters set in the mid 1900's seems like such a tired a tired and worn out theme on paper, but Capolla manages to make it seem fresh at every turn. Marlon Brando plays in his career defining role, and completely owns his screen time, which is surprisingly smaller than one would think. Pacino is also magnificent, he captures his characters turn quite well and makes it very believable. I loved the character of Luca Brasi, he will remain one of the best parts of the film in my mind. This classic sacrifices excessive violence and bloodshed in order to build up the world and characters contained in it, and this move is not only smart, but it is what separates this film from the many knock offs of it