The Godfather - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Godfather Reviews

June 9, 2018
Truth be told, The Godfather doesn't need a review. Without undue emphasis, Francis Ford Coppola's direction, Brando's and Pacino's performances are literally flawless.

The first time I watched "The Godfather", I was a child and it was the most astonishing film I'd ever seen. Due to my introversion, I was spending too much leisure time in front of TV, and consequently I watched many films during my childhood. However, I can hardly remember those films. But The Godfather isn't one of them. I remember The Godfather as if I watched it yesterday. The Godfather made me experience feelings of admiration. There is almost no film that has 3 hours running time and didn't bore me. But The Godfather was a breathtaking film for me.

I admire Francis Ford Coppola and Mario Puzo for reducing a thick, best-selling book to a controllable screenplay which anticipated the expectations of the millions who had already read the book. For me, the strength of the Mario Puzo-Francis Ford Coppola script is the unbelievable interaction of all these characters.

Seeing 'The Godfather' is still one of the biggest milestones of the film industry 46 years after its release confirms the film's status as an outdated masterpiece.

Whenever I see it, it becomes better and impeccable.
June 6, 2018

Whenever I see it, it becomes better and impeccable.
June 4, 2018
A cinematic masterpiece, in my top 3 all time favorite movies. The Godfather gets everything right about what a film can and should be. The true genius of director Francis Ford Coppola is demonstrated in this iconic piece of cinema. From Marlon Brando's oscar winning performance to the amazing Al Pacino, to the faith fullness of the book by Mario Puzo. It is everything I would want from a movie and more. This movie definitely will make you an offer you can't refuse, 10/10
June 2, 2018
This maybe the best movie of all time and the second Godfather is right behind it!!!!
June 2, 2018
possibly the greatest movie ever made.
May 31, 2018
Everyone should see this classic. It's done so origanally that it surpirised me the first timeI watched it. No other movie before has done something like this. What keeps this movie going is the vibe that it gives. This vibe is mostly presented by the lightning on every scene. All the actors are great, especially Marlon Brando.
May 30, 2018
Simply a MASterPiece !
May 28, 2018
It wasn't a bad movie but is very over rated.
½ May 28, 2018
THE WORST MOVIE IN HISTORY.
May 27, 2018
The greatest gangster movie ever made!

Director Francis Ford Coppola created his film masterpiece with The Godfather. The direction is immaculate. The editing is so clever and reveals many character traits just on a visual level. Mario Puzo's script is as brilliant a crime story as has ever been told. Every line is quotable and memorable. There is a reason The Godfather is a staple of pop culture.

Musically, The Godfather has perhaps the most beautifully romantic score of any film. Nino Rota is a skilled composer. You can tell he put a great deal of thought into what kind of symphony he would write. There are sweet passages and haunting melodies throughout The Godfather. This is a movie that is greatly enhanced by its lush soundtrack. I think anyone can appreciate its lovely score.

Notably, iconic actor Marlon Brando delivers his most beloved latter day performance as Don Vito Corleone the Godfather. Brando's career had already been marked by classic roles and endless influence by the time he took up The Godfather. You get to witness Brando is full form. He is so subtle. Brando never wastes film. He says what needs to be said in as effective delivery as any actor. His introduction of realism to acting is demonstrated herein. You see Brando's commanding presence with every movement and breathe. He is really that good. Brando is compelling every second he is on screen. You are drawn to his charisma and composure. The Godfather is a masterclass in complex acting and verisimilitude.

Additionally, the supporting cast is so well fitted for The Godfather. Al Pacino, James Caan, Robert Duvall, Abe Vigoda, and Talia Shire are all perfect in their respective roles.

You get the Italian mob's outrageous violence, heinous treachery, familial devotion, criminal organization, and moral undoing. The Godfather is the highly entertaining start to this crime saga.

You have to watch this movie, not because it is great by any sane person's standards, but because The Godfather is so much fun. Watch the audacity of the Corleone crime family commit endless felonies with shocking indignation.
May 26, 2018
Holy shit it's insane how intensely this movie starts out. Right off the damn bat! The slow camera pull out to reveal he's talking to Don Corleone, really nice. I love how he's still respectful in paying him money but disrespectful in the way that he does it. That part with the old man singing. What a classic moment in cinema history.

I think what's so amazing about this beginning sequence with whole marriage at the house thing, is the way it was filmed. It's almost as if your getting to see everything unfold through a guests point of view. Almost like your looking from the outside in. But then contrast that with the very serious things that are going on inside the house with Don Corleone.

Don Corleone seems like an earnest guy. A guy who just wants to help out. Things back then seemed to be able to be dealt with in a more simpler way. You had a problem, you just settled it by talking or by threatening lol. You just needed a big pair on you. It's incredible how they scouted for these locations and nailed it each time. You really feel immersed in the 40's.

Either they had a hell of a special effects make up team for that time, or that horses head was real. It's crazy how the story progresses and easily slides you into what the family is about and then starts getting into deeper stuff heavier stuff. Really phenomenal writing. I can see why Marlon Brando is regarded as one of the best actors of all time. It's apparent in this movie. The way he is able to camouflage himself into the character he plays. He has a knack for this, being a chameleon.

Holy shit! I was not expecting that death! WTF?! Oh but wait, the tables turn. Can't leave that cannoli behind. God forbid lol.

Wow, the whole hospital scene right from the beginning the mood is set. It's creepy ominous almost uneasy and uncomfortable. Crooked cop. Seeing Mike get involved in the families dirty business is pretty damn exciting and seeing the whole plan come together is interesting to watch.

I love how Mike's face says it all. You can tell how everything's going to go down just by the smirk on his face. That evil glance he gives to the other family member at the restaurant. Sound and music play such a big role in this movie. And it's almost unnoticeable unless your really paying attention to it. This is brilliant because it blends with everything that's going on.

It think what's so attractive about this movie other than the acting and the writing, is that some of these shots are almost like paintings. You can freeze some of these scenes and it's like looking at a still painting. You imagine seeing a girl like that in the Italian countryside? Any man would be interested.

This movie is all about the subtitles and the small nuances. Example: when Apollonia and Mike are walking down that trail in the beautiful countryside, you think they are finally alone. But that's not the case. With the camera positioned perfectly, we see her family is walking right behind them and right behind them is Mike's bodyguards. It's almost comical.

Amazing to see how close they stick to their culture. That was way too quick of a weeding. I hope there good for each other. I can see why Mike didn't even think about Keaton's character. She's not really looking her best in this movie. Holy shit! When I saw what they did to Sonny, I told myself, "Oh, they're screwed". It's nice but also sad to see a vulnerable side of Corleone.

What I took from this movie mostly, is that family business is really messy. One family thing to get at the other. Innocent people dying. It's terrible. But damn, is this movie good. It's funny to see how Vegas has changed Fredo. He looks like a pimp. I'm glad the Don was able to go out like that, playing with his grandson. Even at the funeral there doing business! It's ridiculous.

Holy shit! The baptism scene with all the other preparation evil stuff that's going on with the ominous organ music in the background! Genius. Damn, who would've thought Mike would be so ruthless.

Wow, what a classic movie! Legendary.
May 25, 2018
I wanted to like this movie, I really did. But when I finished watching the film, the only thing I found enjoyable was the opening scene. The rest of the movie was completely filled with boring scenes to pad the runtime, as well as dialogue that's not clever or even plot-servicing. Not to mention that there are far too many plotlines intertwining with one another, that it can get dizzying. Honestly, the movie would've been better as a TV show.
May 25, 2018
i love don corleone movies with his michael ilove all the godfather collection
May 11, 2018
The Godfather is a 1972 American crime film directed by Francis Ford Coppola.
While this movie does contain solid performances and good settings, Brando is sometimes difficult to understand. At almost three hours long, there are also a number of long and extended scenes which drag.
Considered one of the top three best films of all times, and the best gangster film of all time, Includes the second most famous movie quote: "I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse." AAW GGWD 1001
May 8, 2018
Couldn't get into it. Never liked gangster movies. However, I'm not saying it's a bad movie in any way. It's just not my cup of tea.
May 8, 2018
One of the best gangster films ever made next to GoodFellas ???
April 28, 2018
Goldmine for one-liners. Every aspect of this movie is perfect.
April 26, 2018
One of the best movies ever!
April 15, 2018