The Godfather, Part III - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Godfather, Part III Reviews

½ July 20, 2016
I don't get what the big deal is with The Godfather movies. I watched all nine and half hours of it (for the first time) over the past few weeks and I wasn't very impressed. I'll agree that it was probably groundbreaking stuff for back in the early seventies, but these honestly wouldn't even make my top one-thousand, if I were to write one out now. A little bit too Italian for my taste. Too much talk, leading into small events that I wouldn't really classify as "greatest film in world cinema" material; like the archives state. I enjoyed all three of them equally no-more than average. In my opinion, there were more cons than pros in regards to rewarding moments within all three of the films.
July 20, 2016
Prolonged craving, for a well-suited conclusion to the glorified Godfather trilogy, perhaps haven't been gratified by the status of excellency like the previous prominent movies. The third and final installment, does live up to some extent to the degrees of The Godfather. Carries on, with authentic, sharp characters along with formulated nexus of plot which is successful in utilizing the people and flow of the movie quite well.
½ July 19, 2016
The Godfather Part III is in no way a bad movie, but in no way an excellent one. It is a worthy sequel to The Godfather.
½ July 2, 2016
I liked it, but dang the Ying and yang
June 23, 2016
The Godfather: Part III (1990) C-162m. ??? D: Francis Ford Coppola. Al Pacino, Andy Garcia, Diana Keaton, Sofia Copola, Talia Shire, Eli Wallach, Joe Mantegna, George Hamilton, Bridget Fonda. Pacino, living with the guilt from GODFATHER II, seeks absolution and attempts to separate himself from the world of crime, but finds it an impossibility, especially with his trigger-happy nephew (Garcia) as the new Don. Pacino and Garcia are excellent in this powerful film that brings the series to a unique, heartfelt conclusion. Potential for greatness is severely damaged by the miscasting of Sofia Coppola (and her incestuous relationship with Garcia is just strange). But like the previous films, it's vivid, masterfully crafted, and utterly fascinating. "Final director's cut" runs 170m.
June 21, 2016
not as good as the first 2, but still a satisfying movie.
½ June 14, 2016
This movie has to be one of the most disappointing sequels ever made. It doesn't really have the same feel as the first two and it doesn't particularly add much to move the story forward. Most of it is pretty dull and the movie is mostly a drag. The performances, at least for the most part, are good. The only exception to the good performances is Sofia Coppola. Her performance is so monotone, so bland, and just bad. The final stretch of this movie can be entertaining, but I was just so uninterested by the rest of it, even that couldn't save the movie. I think the first two movies are the only ones you really need to see. The third one seems to weigh down the series as a whole and doesn't really provide any closure you can't get from just watching the first two. There are a few redeeming qualities, but not enough to say it's worth three hours of your time.
May 29, 2016
It is 1979, about 22 years since the events of The Godfather II. For
Michael Corleone, the move to legitimacy is complete: the New York
crime business has been handed over to Joey Zasa and all elements of
the Corleone business empire are legal, non-criminal enterprises.
Michael, approaching 60, is now thinking about his legacy. His charity,
run by his daughter Mary, has just handed over $100 million to the
Catholic Church. Michael also intends buying a large stake in
International Immobiliari, a Vatican-run property company. Things are
peaceful and stable but then Vincent Mancini, Sonny Corleone's
illegitimate son, starts a feud with Joey Zasa. This has far- reaching,
deadly consequences, including for Michael's deal with the Vatican.

Unnecessary, as The Godfather II didn't need a sequel. Francis Ford
Coppola has stated that he only did it for the money.

The product itself is a bit hit-and-miss. Plot has some intrigue, with
a Robert Ludlum-like Vatican conspiracy woven into a more conventional
mafia story. This does mean a departure from the feel of the first two
movies, and I'm note sure it's a good departure. The plot becomes
unnecessarily complex and overwrought, making it less tight than the
first two movies. Coppola also unnecessarily draws out the movie -
every scene gets stretched to the limit and there's a lot of padding.
He could easily have lopped 40 minutes (at least) off the movie without
us losing any information or engagement.

Then there's the performances, which are mostly good, with two notable
exceptions. The old guard - Al Pacino, Dianne Keaton, Talia Shire - put
in solid performances. The change in Connie, from passive to assertive
and decisive, was one of the positive features of this movie and Talia
Shire is great in that role.

The new faces include some pretty big names: Eli Wallach, Joe Mantegna,
Andy Garcia, George Hamilton, John Savage, Bridget Fonda. Andy Garcia
is great as Vincent Mancini, a worthy (potential) successor to Michael.
Bridget Fonda is great but criminally underused, especially as it
appeared that she would have a bigger role. Eli Wallach and Joe Mantegna are solid as Don Altobello and Joey
Zasa, respectively, and John Savage has little screen time.

George Hamilton is badly miscast as BJ Harrison, Michael's attorney. He
really didn't fit the part and comes off as somewhat unconvincing. He
was stepping into Robert Duvall's shoes - Tom Hagen was meant to
continue into The Godfather III but the character was dropped when
Robert Duvall pulled out over a pay dispute - so he does suffer due to
the comparison with Duvall.

Then we have the performance which almost single-handedly wrecks this
movie: Sofia Coppola. She is absolutely atrocious as Mary Corleone,
well deserving her 1991 Razzie wins for Worst Supporting Actress and
Worst New Star. Her dialogue delivery is incredibly flat and
unconvincing and even when she has no dialogue she seems awkward, like
she doesn't know what to do with herself when she's on camera.

Her flat delivery results in lack of engagement with her character, and
this ruins the climax of the movie. So, there are greater consequences
to her terrible performance.

It's a good thing she took up directing - she's clearly better at that.

Apparently she wasn't first choice for the part, as Julia Roberts and
then Winona Ryder were cast for the role but then had to pull out. So
at least Francis Ford Coppola could say she was hired more out of
desperation than being his daughter. Still, he really should have kept
looking...

(Aside: Winona Ryder as Mary - how awesome would that have been? The
mind boggles. And yes, I am a big Winona Ryder fan.)

Overall: not bad, but not that good either.
May 14, 2016
1972's The Godfather Is My Fourth Favorite Film Of All Time.
May 13, 2016
I thought it went well with the others
½ April 4, 2016
More death. Michael Corleone tries to get legit. More oranges. More death.
March 30, 2016
Come on people this hole series is crap. And this is the worst one. Do not see any of the Godfather movies they are all crap
March 27, 2016
While it may seem unnecessary at times and Sofia Coppala does a extremely poor job, The Godfather Part 3 is still a emotionally powerful and satisfying conclusion to the Godfather trilogy.
½ February 25, 2016
The weakest of the trilogy but it was still a decent movie I don't know why it received such harsh reviews. Could've done without the weird incest stuff going on but other than that it felt like the Godfather just nowhere near as iconic or well made as the first two films.
February 19, 2016
It falls short of the cinematic heights of its predecessors, but it's still truly entertaining. However, that's where "The Godfather: Part III" ceases being great. Where the original two films are nothing short of perfection, this one is satisfied to simply be a very well-made, highly entertaining film. I can think of several other crime dramas off the top of my head that are better than this movie. That isn't how I should feel after seeing a Coppola directed "Godfather" film.

However, I must say that Andy Garcia does the best work of his career, and that sequence in the opera house is genuinely great cinema.
February 3, 2016
This movie really doesn't deserve all the negative comments it gets, but it still is the weakest part of the Godfather trilogy.
January 28, 2016
Terrible on all levels. It marked the end of Coppola's directing career. For those that loved 1&2 will be greatly disappointed in the sophomoric dialog and the over acting it took to compensate.
January 23, 2016
This movie is really good contrary to the comman belief that this is
not the good film. Just omit and see the movie... This is the best end
of the trilogy.... Don't go for negative review... Cheers
½ January 20, 2016
It was good but not my favourite. The ending was very powerful and emotional. It gave quite an ending to the trilogy of the godfather.