The Godfather, Part III - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Godfather, Part III Reviews

March 27, 2016
While it may seem unnecessary at times and Sofia Coppala does a extremely poor job, The Godfather Part 3 is still a emotionally powerful and satisfying conclusion to the Godfather trilogy.
½ February 25, 2016
The weakest of the trilogy but it was still a decent movie I don't know why it received such harsh reviews. Could've done without the weird incest stuff going on but other than that it felt like the Godfather just nowhere near as iconic or well made as the first two films.
February 19, 2016
It falls short of the cinematic heights of its predecessors, but it's still truly entertaining. However, that's where "The Godfather: Part III" ceases being great. Where the original two films are nothing short of perfection, this one is satisfied to simply be a very well-made, highly entertaining film. I can think of several other crime dramas off the top of my head that are better than this movie. That isn't how I should feel after seeing a Coppola directed "Godfather" film.

However, I must say that Andy Garcia does the best work of his career, and that sequence in the opera house is genuinely great cinema.
February 3, 2016
This movie really doesn't deserve all the negative comments it gets, but it still is the weakest part of the Godfather trilogy.
January 28, 2016
Terrible on all levels. It marked the end of Coppola's directing career. For those that loved 1&2 will be greatly disappointed in the sophomoric dialog and the over acting it took to compensate.
January 23, 2016
This movie is really good contrary to the comman belief that this is
not the good film. Just omit and see the movie... This is the best end
of the trilogy.... Don't go for negative review... Cheers
½ January 20, 2016
It was good but not my favourite. The ending was very powerful and emotional. It gave quite an ending to the trilogy of the godfather.
½ January 9, 2016
While did not achieve the level as compared to Part I and II, still a good closure to the saga....
½ January 6, 2016
Depressing as usual. A bit boring too.
January 3, 2016
While I did think this was a good movie, it didn't quite have the intensity that the first two had, but as far as AL Pacino's performance goes, it just never fails
½ December 26, 2015
Not even comparable to the first 2. The casting is horrible, which doesn't help. Understandably, it would be hard for any iteration to follow perhaps 2 of the greatest mafia movies ever made... but that doesn't mean it had to fall on the opposite end of the spectrum. Pacino does all he can to save the film, but he alone cannot overcome it's faults. Too bad, because a successful third part could've possibly opened the door to more sequels or spin-offs. But unfortunately, this movie leaves a bad taste in your mouth re the franchise.
December 24, 2015
½ December 15, 2015
An acceptable conclusion to the trilogy.
December 9, 2015
If you really felt compelled to, you could probably slaughter this film to pieces when discussing it. But I feel The Godfather III will always get cut a little bit of slack seeing that the first two are two of the greatest movies ever made, maybe the greatest. So after waiting over 15 years to finalize the trilogy, I would not expect things to just pick up and be as smooth and brilliant as they were for the first two films. Its not really a matter of comparing this movie to the first two, you really cant, it is completely different and so far apart. As much as it pains me to say though since I am such a huge fan of the series, The Godfather III is downright boring and rather silly. I am just going to point out a scene which is back up to my statement that the movie is silly. Andy Garcia whacks the rival mob boss dressed as a cop while riding a horse in broad daylight. Are you kidding me ? Who thought of that ? Lets whack out the rival family boss by having Andy Garcia on a horse like a cowboy in the middle of New York in broad daylight, yeah that's a good idea. Pacino is fine in this movie as he usually is, there is nothing wrong with him at all in this movie. But Coppola decided to give Talia Shire WAY too much screen time and lines in this movie. First and foremost, she's really not that great of an actor, at all. And her character now is trying to take control of family affairs and now SHE is having people killed... its just ridiculous and makes no sense. A must see for fans of the Godfather series so you can have closure, but don't expect anything great.
½ December 6, 2015
Not nearly as good as the first two but still pretty damn good. Al Pacino is awesome, as usual, and Andy Garcia almost steals the whole film. But what the hell is up with Sophia Coppola? Good looking but hardly an actress.
½ November 28, 2015
This is what happens when you value nepotism over talent
November 8, 2015
Epic story of attempted redemption albeit pretentious at times. The incest storyline and Sofia Coppola being cast in it sure as fuck didn't help.
October 30, 2015
A misunderstood film. It is definitely a film that is good compared to other films. But not to its original two. It is good on a certain level but not on the level of Part I and Part II. I was disappointed to not see Robert Duvall. But all in all a film that is misunderstood among fans and critics
½ September 20, 2015
It gets a bad wrap these days but I thought the Godfather 3 was as interesting as the others and the ensemble especially Pacino, Keaton, and Garcia. I think I enjoyed this one more than the others because it doesn't have the cloud of prestige that the others have so I was more satisfied than felling it underwhelming. With that, I still think the 2nd is a stronger movie but I really enjoyed this one. The usual tec are great here like the writing, score, directing, sound, cinematography, and production design.
½ September 17, 2015
Clearly subpar when in comparison with the first two installments, Part III of Coppola's epic family story lacks the incisive poetry and the cunning dialectics that made the first films such fantastic cinematic achievements. Still, the last 30 minutes, in true Sicilian fashion, provide a tremendous conclusion to the storyline.