Gods and Generals - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gods and Generals Reviews

January 27, 2016
A great and historically accurate account of this part of the American Civil War, which is why the progressive critics rated it so low. Excellent movie good for all families to watch together. Infinitely more informative and educational than most public school history classes about the Civil War.
½ December 24, 2015
The extended battle scenes make me wonder if that was really the best way to attack.
½ July 15, 2015
The worst offense this overlong Civil War epic makes is the fact that it's so clearly drunk on itself. Gods And Generals is a movie so tedious and ugly that it could mistaken for a masterpiece. Don't be fooled. This racist, misguided celebration of war thinks very highly of itself and it can't even seem to compose a single coherent performance (despite some promising moments from Stephen Lang).

This is a very bad movie. There really isn't any other way to put it. It's just bad. Historical accuracy doesn't make a film automatically good, in the same that making a film about the Civil War doesn't make it automatically interesting.
June 28, 2015
Interesting watch with interesting performances.....can not believe some of the negative reviews I'm seeing.
May 16, 2015
As is the case with Gettysburg, this movie lacks realism in battle scenes, is very slow paced, and way too long of a movie. Ronald Maxwell, please don't make another civil war movie like this again.
April 8, 2015
I see there are still those who truly believe that the civil war was about slavery, and you can see this false teaching in some of the reviews. Lets have a history lesson please,,, slavery did not become an issue until 1863 well after the war had started(FACT). also less than 5% of the south owned a slave(FACT), this means lets line up 100 confederate soldiers out of the 100 around 95 of them did not own a slave and had no horse in the race of slavery, so why in the world would you think a man would fight to continue slavery when he didnt care about it in the first place, and too there slave also in the north even past the civil wars end such as Grant finally freeing his slaves at the end of the war and when asked by a local news paper, he stated"good help is hard to find". I find this movie show almost as close to the perfect conditions of that time and moral and character of those who fought. This was a states rights issue and still is even to today..
½ January 23, 2015
Dreadful. A perfect poster child for not pushing your luck with a sequel
½ January 19, 2015
I loved it. As someone who grew up in the South, I appreciated the fact that it wasn't just an American union propaganda piece.
November 20, 2014
Gods and Generals is an ambitious and historically accurate but overlong film that lacks such things as three-dimensional characters or a focused narrative.
½ November 15, 2014
Overwrought and overlong, "Gods & Generals" is too preachy and blunt in its endorsement of the Southern cause, doing very little to explore the moral and ethical ambiguity and dilemmas of the Civil War. Credit must be given where credit is due, however, for a harrowing portrayal of the Battle of Fredericksburg, particularly the charge of the Irish Brigade. For about 45 minutes, "Gods & Generals" is rousing cinema: emotional, visceral and moving. It's a shame it couldn't maintain that energy throughout. Watch the Battle of Fredericksburg, skip everything else.
½ October 17, 2014
I can't believe I sat through this crap. Jeff Daniels and Robert Duvall are great in this, but it not only comes out as a snorefest, but tries to make you support the people who wanted to keep slaves. At almost four hours long, I strongly suggest you stay away from this shit.
October 9, 2014
This movie is one of the best I have ever seen. As an American Civil War buff and reenactor, I can honestly say that Stephen Lang captures the persona of General Jackson to an art. The combat scenes are so realistic. The soldiers who take hits are masters at it. And the charge of the Irish Brigade at Fredricksburg.....speechless.
August 25, 2014
best film of the civil war ever made
August 19, 2014
I found the story telling elements very well crafted. Nice theme of home woven throughout the film, from Mary Fahl's song to open the movie "Going Home" to the death of Stonewall Jackson at the end. I also loved how Gen. Jackson's faith was so vividly and positively portrayed. I think the critics were off in their comments against some of the longer poetic soliloquies. Finally, this movie is rare in that it gives the Confederacy a voice more reflective of their ideals. Sensitively and intellectually engaging - highly recommended!

It's too bad plans to make The Last Full Measure onto a movie have fallen through. It would round out the storyline presented by this film and Gettysburg.
½ August 3, 2014
A bit dry in parts. I think the movie could have been cut by an hour and could have still given the same message.
½ July 6, 2014
A riveting account of General Lee's confederate armies earlier victories in the Civil War up to Gettysburg
June 22, 2014
It's long, boring, preachy, and filled with way too many monologues. The costumes and sets are fairly impressive, but there's not much to get excited about in this movie.
½ June 7, 2014
An excellent movie, and very enjoyable to watch. For those who don't know history, many of the military leaders at this time were religious. Get over it!
April 26, 2014
Gods and Generals has some impressive battle scenes and performances from its cast, but the tonal lapses and unbalanced story only make its length drag on.
½ March 11, 2014
Very historical Civil War movie. Are they serious about the so called "Pro-Confederate Slate" where was that ANYWHERE! It is just the truth from both sides. Wow people are dumb! One more thing of course they mention God a lot, it was the way people talked then. Personally, I think people should start talking that way again.