God's Army - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

God's Army Reviews

April 2, 2013
Good, but not in the same ballpark as Dutcher's latter two films. There are small moments and scenes--a missionary waiting at the bus stop to go home, several conversations while tracting, lunch at a favorite restaurant--that capture marvelously the workaday routine of LDS missionary lifestyle. Dutcher's need for some sort of life-changing plot, however, gets in the way in a big way.
January 27, 2013
Many real-life Mormons quibble over the improbabilities and downright inaccuracies regarding missionary procedure and behavior that abound this shoestring budgeted indie drama; I for one have always allotted greater value to the quality of a film than the accuracy. There are several significant problems with GOD'S ARMY, but they are outdone by the soulful ambition and heartfelt sincerity. In this film, director Richard Dutcher is only beginning, and his talent shows greater polish in later films.
It's basically a Mormon missionary soap opera, and melodrama is where the film slips up most often, with strain on credulity at times and some overblown drama, but the themes of spirituality and crises of faith are very insightful, and though perceived through the prism of Mormonism, they relevant to all people of faith. Unfortunately, in spite of all it has to offer them, it is not likely to do much for orthodox Mormons because such viewers are prone to relate it to real life and stress over issues of representation. However, with an elementary knowledge of Mormons, non-Mormons may find much edification and insight, as well as for liberal Mormons.
March 23, 2011
I get tired of hearing crap about this movie. Duther nails it on the mark. Having been on a mission myself I can relate to it.
March 2, 2011
hi like to watch this movie .....^_~
½ August 12, 2010
Schmaltzy, contrived, predictable, and pointless. Mormon or not, avoid this one...
January 19, 2010
quien no recuerda cuando fue verde.... jajajajaj....
ScoopOnline
December 12, 2009
God`s Army is one of the movies that bores me alot. I tried to watch the sequels and still not happy.
December 8, 2009
Wow, this looks like pure, unmitigated propaganda.
½ December 8, 2009
Dad made me snore through this. No popcorn!
August 4, 2009
its a very good movie
½ June 18, 2009
Perfect? Hardly. Revolutionary, daring, and ultimately moving? Definitely. Richard Dutcher's groundbreaking film remains one of the best in the short lived LDS Cinema period. Some will gripe about how the experiences shown here aren't what actual missions are like. 1.) Maybe not all missions are the same. What you're saying is, "It's not like MY mission was. 2.) Maybe the movie's not actually about missionaries, eh? Maybe Dutcher (as he would do again with the semi-sequel, "States of Grace") was simply using missionaries as a tool to discuss the complicated issues of faith and conversion, subjects which he handles quite eloquently here (the conversion sequence is the best moment of conversion ever made in any form of LDS art that I've witnessed.) The story loses it's focus too often, it's sure. It's low-budget is definitely showing. But there's an authenticity here, backed up by an exuberance that is unmatched not only in the rest of LDS Cinema but that is somewhat lacking in Dutcher's later LDS films.
May 26, 2009
OK I THINK IS GOOD KNOW ABOUT IT
January 30, 2009
All Right Movie Some of the thing's was funny
January 16, 2009
Really good movie. Richard Dutcher did a great job not only directing but acting in this as well. Some humor, and of course some touching moments. The reality factor is well presented.
shesdownbytheriver
October 17, 2008
No thankyou - Not interested
½ July 24, 2008
I saw this movie years before I went on a mission yet I wondered what was going on with them.
July 7, 2008
it's good. nothing compared to the sequel though. some parts drag.
July 2, 2008
gods army is a good film that shows the life of a mormon missionery (SP) and everyone knows that i personly think that all mormon movies ROCK! however i dont think Gods army can even be considered to be in the same legue as States Of Grace.
May 24, 2008
Overly dramatic and times and some of the writing makes me wonder where he served his mission, but it's a nice story with good moments.
½ April 23, 2008
This is a very simply told story, but it's very honest and a great representation of the kinds of troubles that LDS missionaries face.