God's Little Acre - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

God's Little Acre Reviews

rubystevens
June 5, 2012
robert ryan has one of his best roles here and it's entertaining in a debauched southern gothic way but it's way too long
½ June 1, 2012
pretty lame i guess was 'steamy' then but not anymore!
June 16, 2011
Strange comedy/drama about a man greedy for gold. It has some salacious scenes for its time, including Ginger from Gilligan's Island looking gorgeous and teasing men while she takes a bath outside (really now!). The only time I've ever heard a guy wail and cry "I lost my albino!". Yeah, weird. Also, a badass black man who talks like Boomhauer on King of the Hill who says "Just cuz I'm black don't mean I can sing minstrel tunes!". LOL. (Take into consideration the date, 1958). Good one to catch on TCM sometime if you're into the oldies.
½ March 31, 2011
Very good adaption of Erskine Caldwell's book (who wrote the screenplay too) deals with the poor in the south during the 1930s both in the fields and in the factories, deals with how both poverty and greed can divide a family - actually? deals with quite a bit and the story does become somewhat fragmented at times, however, overall this film from 1958 that stars quite a few TV stars of the 1960s is a worthwhile watch. "..boys you don't understand. It's not about how many dollars you can get from God's little acre; but that you can stand on it, walk on it and feel God IN it." ~ Erskine Calwell
July 18, 2010
Not amazing, not horrific...
July 17, 2010
A gem of a deep-south drama from the 50's where this kind of localised social setting was rarely depicted by the cinema. The colloquial script is pleasurable but demands attention.
July 5, 2010
An unusual offering from director Anthony Mann is this offbeat Southern Gothic farce. Great over the top characters - Robert Ryan's Ty Ty, in particular, is easily one of his best roles - and overheated Deep South melodrama brimming with sexual energy. Unfortunately, it's also overlong and awkwardly paced, making it only a minor classic. Great score by Elmer Bernstein.
March 20, 2010
Have never heard of this, and have no interest in seeing it
December 24, 2009
Mon film de Noël. Non, ce nest pas une histoire de Noël. Mais une histoire de famille et d'argent. Mais rudement bien fait!
spaulsson
December 13, 2009
Sorry to say it, but this one was really bad. There are way too many sub plots that aren't well developed to begin with, and when we only get to follow each character for a short period of time, it becomes even less captivating. Sleeping pill.
April 21, 2009
Didn't know anything about this film before watching it but "God's little acre" was a pleasant surprise. Strange that this gem of a movie is totally overlooked and forgotten! It's a GREAT MOVIE!
½ March 11, 2009
A good apatation of Caldwell's novel without the steamy parts.
November 19, 2008
Very racy for when it was made. Interesting to watch as a piece of history, taking into consideration the motion picture code of the time. It is fun to pick out the ways in which it broke the code, and so on. As a film, however, it falls pretty short. Not terribly interesting at all; the ending couldn't have come soon enough.
½ November 9, 2008
It is a very good movie to watch
August 23, 2008
Heavy and intense, but very well acted. Certainly not a cheery film. Well photographed. The score is quite good, Steamy with dialogue the same. Good southern atmosphere. It is hard to believe how controversial it was in it's time.
½ March 4, 2007
Wasn't that great, but the music was pretty good.
February 19, 2007
kool as man dis movie rulzzz
½ August 6, 2006
I worked my way back here finally. I've seen a mess of stuff in the last few months. Highlights include one of the British "Carry On" comedy series, "Carry On Dick", "Zoot Suit" the Latino musical which turned out to be killer stuff, "Juggernaut", a forgotten offshoot from the Disaster Movie era about bombs on an ocean liner that was excellent, the tricky Hitchcock thriller, "Rope" and last night a big pleasant surprise, "God's Little Acre".
All I knew about this movie was that it was one of those old "crazy hillbilly" stories but this one was first class all the way. Anthony Mann was the director, Elmer Bernstein did the score (and foreshadowed both his "Hallelujah Trail" and "Walk On The Wild Side" work) and Robert Ryan acted his ass off as the patriarch of the family. The supporting cast was a who's who of future TV stars, Tina Louise, Jack Lord, Vic Morrow, Buddy Hackett and Michael Landon as an albino (!). Even Aldo Ray showed up and gave a good performance.