Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (Gojira tai Mekagojira) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (Gojira tai Mekagojira) Reviews

November 1, 2016
one star for kumiko shaku in latex.
½ September 16, 2016
An excellent Godzilla film is hard to find these days. But godzilla against mechagodzilla is one of the best. Godzilla battles his first robotic double in a film for ten years. It houses thrills and serves up the action, with a great plot, special effects, and a cool monster fight for the climax. It is definitely entertaining and great.
August 26, 2016
Mechagodzilla is back, and it gives Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla the potential to thoroughly entertain Godzilla fans.
July 14, 2016
one of my favorite Godzilla films and I'm excited for Godzilla: Ressurgence later this month
½ July 6, 2016
Holy crap, how did I not see this before? Might be tied with "GMK" for my favorite of the Heisei/Millennial series, and the Godzilla and Kiryu/Mechagodzilla suits might be some of my favorites of all time; pretty awesome how nimble the Mecha suit seems for how bulky it is. On top of which, these might be best building models ever in the franchise. This is absolutely "Pacific Rim" in the Godzillaverse and actually avoids some of the mistakes "Pac Rim" made, starting with a focus on one action lead and keeping the story about her trials and successes. This makes her more interesting than Raleigh Beckett and Mako Mori all day, every day. Hell, her arc is probably more interesting than Rey's from "The Force Awakens."
½ June 1, 2016
One of the best plus it's the only mecha godzilla movie where it's just godzilla and Mechagodzilla without any other monsters interrupting the fight like no king ceasar no Mothra and no rodan
½ March 29, 2016
This is the 26th part to the japanes Godzilla series. It is better then most of the Godzilla movie made before it. The 25th part to the japanes Godzilla series Godzilla Mothra and King Ghildarh giant monsters all out attack is one of the very few Godzilla movie that is better. This is a great film see it.
½ February 6, 2016
The people of Japan stubbornly persist in binging back Mechagodzilla in hopes that THIS time they'll finally beat Godzilla with their robot version of the King of all Monsters. Actually, this film was part of the Millennium Godzilla series that ignored all prior Godzilla films, creating it's own new continuity. This film has just about everything you'd want in a Godzilla film; good special effect and lot of guys-in-rubber-suits destroying miniature versions of Tokyo. Fine art it is not, but highly entertaining, it certainly is.
½ December 30, 2015
So I guess this is supposed to be another sequel to the original Godzilla that completely disregards all other Godzilla movies, but not the only non-Godzilla kaiju movies. *sigh* Whatever.
½ August 24, 2015
it is one kickass movie
½ April 23, 2015
Basically its Pacific Rim on a much lower budget. This movie which chooses to again pointlessly reboot Godzilla rather than being a sequel to any of the earlier 2000s Godzilla movies has an interesting new story for Mechagodzilla and a decent monster fight to end it but 26 movies into the series you've seen it all before and the installment lacks anything new to justify making yet another one
½ September 18, 2014
I've yet to actually watch a Mechagodzilla movie that I truly enjoyed! I tend to find the movies with Mechagodzilla are much more action orientated than other films in the franchise and as a fan of Sci-Fi and horror the OTT action elements of the film bore me after a short while! Admittedly its nice to see the franchise have such an emphasis on female leads!
September 15, 2014
Better music, acting, characters, and cinematography than you get in most movies like this. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
½ August 9, 2014
Aside from having NO continuity with the last few films, Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla is another great Godzilla movie with good monster fights and a pretty interesting story.
July 31, 2014
This is a powerhouse. The special effects are too notch, the fight scenes are greater and the movie will just suck you in. It's a prequel to Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. and to where yes, it's better than this, this is still excellent. I like this one. A lot.
June 8, 2014
good fun godzilla movie I even like the human story
May 28, 2014
One of the best of the 'Millennium' series Godzillas as 'he' battles Mechagodzilla again for the first time. I especially liked the attack on the theme park 'Sea Paradise' which I visited a while ago. They did an excellent repair job!
May 25, 2014
"Godzilla against Mechagodzilla"; weird title but pretty good giant monster movie. This film is another reboot, but considering the previous film was a real reinvention of the Godzilla characters so that's not a big deal. Actually this film has a selective continuity, including the original "Godzilla", "Mothra", "War of the Gargantuas" (by extent I'm assuming "Frankenstein Conquers the World") and "Space Amoeba" in its universe. The film begins in 1999, when Lieutenant Akane Yashiro (Yumiko Shaku), a mazer-cannon technician witnesses the attack of a new Godzilla. She is the sole survivor of her squadron and is held responsible for their deaths when she panics at the sight of this monster. Afterwards, scientists gather to build a new weapon in case Godzilla ever returns. Expanding on the technology created by Tokumitsu Yuhara (Shin Takuma), they build a robotic Godzilla by using the skeletal frame of the original kaiju killed in 1954 and adding metal musculature to it. Four years later, Mechagodzilla (also known as Kiryu) is finished and ready to take on the King of the Monsters, with Lt. Yashiro trying to fit in while placed on the team that will pilot Kiryu and Yuharu (plus his daughter Sara, played by Kana Onodera) trying to get close to her.

This new Mechagodzilla is very cool. Instead of looking like a silver, angular Godzilla Kiryu looks like a robot made of black muscles and wires with armor plating holding the whole thing together and protecting the delicate mechanisms. It also feels a bit more realistic of an idea, it's built on the super-strong sketelon of the original Godzilla and in fact uses it's DNA as a base for it's computer system (instead of a 2 base/binary computer, it uses a 4 base computer based on DNA). It's also armed to the teeth: on top of its regular arsenal with a mazer cannons in the mouth and an extremely destructive super-weapon in its chest (an absolute zero gun, capable of reducing pretty much anything to dust), Kiryu has added missiles launchers on its shoulders in the form of a weapon/jet pack as well as retractable blades and guns on its wrists. Kiryu's design also includes rocket boosters to make it more agile in battle, which makes for more dynamic fights. It does have a weakness however: the batteries inside can only run Kiryu for 2 hours at a time, after which it has to recharge. Godzilla's design is pretty much the same as it has been for the rest of the Millenium series, a bit streamlined but not much else is different. Between these two we have some pretty good action sequences, first of Godzilla against the military, then of a malfunctioning Kiryu destroying some skyscrapers and final a climactic battle between the two Godzillas. On top of having plenty of projectiles to shoot at each other there are also some exciting moments where they fight hand-to-hand as well.

The human portion of the plot is also more interesting that in most Godzilla movies. We have three main characters, with Yuhara, his daughter Sara and the alienated pilot Lt. Akane building up a friendship. It's clear that Yuhara, a single dad, is really interested in the Lieutenant romantically and there are some hints that she begins to warm up to him as well, which is fun to follow. The daughter and Akane also actually end up having a lot in common and you get some good character development as the two deal with their grief through friendship. A lot of these monster movies feel obliged to include a little annoying kid for the kiddie audience to relate to and usually every time they show up on screen it's a chore (like in "Godzilla vs. Megaguirus"). Here that annoying kid syndrome is kept to a minimum and Sara actually turns out to be a likeable character. I also found it interesting that this film includes past Godzilla attacks as a major plot point. In this film when people are killed and buildings are destroyed it feels like it has real meaning because people are reprimanded and opinions change after successful and unsuccessful counter-attacks. It helps you swallow the fairly unbelievable concept that Japan would build a super-robot to fight back against a giant radioactive dinosaur. I do have to point out that like "Godzilla vs. Megaguirus", this film shoots itself in the foot a bit by giving Kiryu a weapon so devastating it undermine's Godzilla's threat. When you have a weapon that can accidentally disintegrate whole skyscrapers, Godzilla seems like a harmless storm.

"Godzilla against Mechagodzilla" is one of the better films in the franchise. The giant robot thing is pretty easy to grasp and you can tell the writer really took some time to think the story through. There are moments where the film resembles some popular giant Mecha animes so if you've got a friend that loves something like "Neon Genesis Evangelion" or "Gundam" you can watch this one with them and convert them to a Godzilla fan pretty easily. The effects are a little rough at times with the CG, but overall quite well done, the characters interesting and the action is satisfying too. The Millennium series was off to a really rough start but with this installment and the previous being pretty good, things are looking up. (On Dvd, May 19, 2014)