Godzilla, King of the Monsters! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Godzilla, King of the Monsters! Reviews

½ October 14, 2016
"I'm afraid my Japanese is a little rusty..."
October 11, 2016
1954 it came out in Japan and in 1956 when it came out in USA it made an iconic star for years to come and still is. This is a great Godzilla movie and it does live up to the hype.
August 14, 2016
A 400-ft tall fire-breathing lizard leaves Tokyo in a smouldering ruin, a beast theorized to be awakened by experimental H-Bomb testing. Popular Japanese film interspersed with Raymond Burr's foreign correspondent character added for American audiences. Special effects (for its time) are terrific and often looks more realistic than today's CGI.
August 10, 2016
The best American Godzilla film.
½ June 10, 2016
A very interesting monster movie but it feels somewhat patented out. I hear the original Japanese version is better in quality. Still for disaster film it's very entertaining.
June 1, 2016
A complete epic masterpiece baby!!
May 31, 2016
Godzilla King of the Monsters ...this is one of the best movies ever, and paved the way for a lot of famous sci-fi movies. You could tell that directors ISHIRÔ HONDA and Terry O. Morse took their time. The plot is the American Navy tested their new hydrogen bomb in the Pacific and accidently woke something up. This something then attacked Tokyo and was named Godzilla! No weapons could destroy it and that's the entire plot of the movie. The acting is really good and Godzilla looks real for a guy in a suit. It had a budget of 2,000,000 dollars, which for the time was a lot of money. The main character is an American reporter going to Egypt with a stopover in Japan. While thinking he was only going to report on the radiation in Tokyo, he gets the news of the monster and almost gets killed by the collapsing city and its radiation, but I'm not going to give any thing else away. So that's my review. Thanks, Gabriel A
April 11, 2016
From the very opening the tone is set. A dark scene, the sounds of roaring, and the powerful yet haunting score. It gives an all-consuming sense of dread.
Created from the nation's fear and anxiety over what had happened to them at the end of the Second World War, Godzilla becomes the perfect metaphor for death and destruction that man can and has inflicted on himself. Also, is it just me or has Godzilla never been scarier? Seriously, the man in a suit look has never been particularly horrifying. Yet the stark black and white and atmosphere really sell it. Seriously, the fact that almost never see his eyes in it give him an aww inspiring quality to him.

It's often remembered as the best in the franchise and it's not hard to see why.
½ March 28, 2016
This is a great movie. It had a lot of sequels. It is true classic. This is the North american cut of the first Godzilla movie. This is a scenes fiction classic. The 16th Godzilla movie The Return of Godzilla is better. But still this is a great movie. It is one of the best monster movies from the 50's. See it.
January 21, 2016
This movie is old, really old. But it is no less than a masteroiece. From the amazing set pieces, to the griddy music, the camera speed and movemet, and the overall acting too. Might bee cheesy, but this remains the most terrifying of all the 32 Godzilla movies we have today.
January 11, 2016
Godzilla: king of the monsters is a surprisingly deep movie considering his reputation the acting is great and the only big problem with the film is that it is VERY dated
½ January 11, 2016
Inferior to the Japanese original, however goofy and thrilling none the less.
½ November 27, 2015
This debased Americanized version of the original Japanese film, re-edited to include Raymond Burr as a reporter, is relatively well made but full of inconsistencies, bad re-dubbing and terrible exposition, with him annoyingly narrating all the time what we can easily see.
½ October 16, 2015
Have you ever wondered why Raymond Burr is the star of a Japanese movie?
Well, it's because the Japanese want to sell the movie to americans, like toyotas and they need an american guy to do it, you might answer. You got the answer partially correct, the problem is that I was looking at a very old VHS tape of Godzilla - it was called just "Godzilla" apparently, back then - and the producers listed on the credits are all guys, from Hollywood, who produce the usual, traditional Hollywood products. I guess Toho films is like one of those offshore bank accounts. A more likely reason that Hollywood decided to go to Japan to make it's monster movie, is that if you're a girl, like me, you'd know that us girls do not like to buy our handbags from designers from the US. We like to buy them from France, or Italy or...I guess that's it France or Italy, anyway it's the same thing with guys: wouldn't you rather have a Ferrari than a Corvette? So these Hollywood guys must have thought, maybe the same thing can work if we take your average run of the mill monster movie, make an identical monster with a different, Japanese name, and give it the full Japanese monte. And you know what? It worked, Hollywood has made some dough off ole Godzilla. Of course they could have just imported a Japanese movie...but for me there's that sticky problem of the credits on the ole VHS box.
Incidentally, when they decided it was a hit, and re-released it back to Japan, they edited out all of the americanisms.
What's true is that if you look at the tv schedules of any tv station anywhere in the world, you will see that 75% of their programming are american tv shows from one of the big american tv networks.
Hollywood is the capital of the world's cinema, there is practically nothing - movie wise - besides Hollywood.
September 13, 2015
The original Godzilla is still, in my opinion, the best in the series. The American version of Godzilla isn't as good add the original, the film still had a good story with a fairly tragic ending. Godzilla itself is amazing, and really makes the film better.
August 26, 2015
Simply a masterpiece! Will stand the test of time'
August 24, 2015
great tone and great effects amazing cast such an awesome movie
July 29, 2015
Not My Type of Godzilla Movie this one in Black and White is Boring
½ July 27, 2015
Godzilla, King of the Monsters was an unnecessary re-edited "americanized" adaptation of the 1954 Japanese hit
July 26, 2015
I grew up with Godzilla and it is still my favorite movie of all time. It inspired a often recurring nightmare that was always exactly the same every time I had it. It terrified me in the nightmare, but nothing could shake my love for the movie itself. I have seen it so many times that it is probably now part of my genetic code. I was shocked the first time that I realized that Raymond Burr was not in the original movie. I realized it when I noticed that Emiko's top was not the same when she is seen from behind in the "Steve laying in the clinic" scene. But, momentary disappointment aside, it is still my favorite movie.