Godzilla, King of the Monsters! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Godzilla, King of the Monsters! Reviews

July 19, 2015
Through an effective blend of special effects, lighting and sound editing as well as solid performances and a steady build up of dread and fear, Godzilla (1954) remains just as effective as it was in its original run.
May 20, 2015
Love this movie such a classic
May 17, 2015
The dumbest monster film of all time. Hilariously funny because of cheap special effects and an actor in dinosaur suit running around a toy miniature set of Tokyo.
April 2, 2015
The Americanized version of "Gojira" is a fine film although I image the original Japanese version is superior.
½ February 25, 2015
This re-edited American version has a faster pace and Raymond Burr is inserted into the film well but the end result is more or less the same.
½ February 22, 2015
Mítica iniciadora de los daikaiju o kaiju eiga, las famosas películas japonesas con grandes y extrañas criaturas asolando el país nipón.

Godzilla siempre ha sido todo un referente del cine de ciencia ficción, en especial cuando es usado como crítica sobre los problemas del armamento de destrucción masiva. Sin embargo siempre he pensado que su mensaje no siempre queda tan claro como en otras películas del género.

También, a pesar de sus grandes logros técnicos en la época, creo firmemente que el King Kong de 1933, de la que esta es completa deudora, consiguió mucho más en este aspecto.

Sea como fuere, se trata de una película maravillosa que consiguió dar a luz uno de los géneros más extraños y divertidos del cine japonés.
½ February 9, 2015
The original Japanese film was better. This had an American character (who is actually Canadian) added and the one providing lots of narration. A decent remake.
February 7, 2015
Really awesome classic!
January 21, 2015
It's a good movie, but the Americanized version of the original Godzilla has been chopped up so much that the poignant and thought-provoking message of the Japanese version is completely left out.
½ January 9, 2015
This American Version of the Japanese classic is pretty weak. I think Raymond Burr feels shoehorned in, as well as a character that just seems like a fly on the wall more often than not. His character takes the emotional punch completely out of the film. I personally would rather watch 98 minutes of subtitles than 80 minutes of bad dubbing and a guy constantly asking for a translation, only to take the sort of moral and point of the movie out of commission. Original Japanese versions for me from here on out.
½ November 6, 2014
cheesy in some areas, too rushed in others. this is one of those films that in today's society we can all laugh at for its corniness, but also admire seeing as at the time, these effects did scare people back then, and this movie did help in inventing a legend. I had never seen Godzilla until I was 10 and even before that I knew who he was.

for what ever reasons you want, for nostalgia, for thrills, for laughs, this movie is a pleasure to watch.
½ October 6, 2014
Having not watched this movie since my early childhood, I decided to include it as one of my horror movies for my "nightly horror movie films" for the month of October. While I can easily say the monsters are what drew me to this franchise as a kid, watching this movie as an adult reminded me of how well acted this movie is. A great choice in terms of 'film', but lacking heavy in the 'scary' department.
½ September 27, 2014
this is was started it all and the thing is when americans bombed japan they made a movie saying Godzilla is the A bomb overall clever movie a bit boring in the begining but worth a try
½ September 21, 2014
After getting picked up for American distribution, Ishiro Honda's famous monster film was subjected to some truly unorthodox bowdlerization. The thinly-veiled allusions to Hiroshima were removed for obvious reasons, but the strangest move was tacking on a bunch of inserts with Raymond Burr playing a visiting journalist (Most of his scenes involve him asking various people to interpret the undubbed and unsubtitled footage his scenes are haphazardly spliced with). For decades, this cut of Godzilla was the only version available to Western audiences. With the DVD release of the movie's original 1954 Japanese cut, the Americanized take can be properly downgraded to the status of "odd historical curio".
July 31, 2014
Let me start off by saying this isn't Gojira and I think it's a completely new movie. It adds an actor, edits out some scenes and puts total new ones in. It's just as great as Gojira though and it's just as much as a classic.
½ July 20, 2014
While the uncut Japanese Gojira is far superior, Godzilla King of The Monsters is still a much watch.
½ July 19, 2014
The 1956 American version is exactly what you think: Unnecessarily changed. Instead of simply dubbing the damn thing, our dear manipulator America adds an American actor as the main human character and tosses all Japanese stuff as the supporting cast. Well, it sounds bad, but it isn't for the most part. King of the Monsters still presents the wonder of Godzilla and his power, and that established him for the American audience, and much like Japan in 1954, since then it had never leaved us.

The film suffers from a mix between narration and all-out exposition, and even narrating things that are obviously happening on-screen, most of this happens in the famous Godzilla attack on Tokyo. Being an Americanization, the film also has some hilarious editing and some crappy over-dubbing. Many of the shots featuring Raymond Burr try to stick with the rest of the Japanese shots, but clearly there's a lot of difference between both, both in audio and image quality. Some actors replace the Japanese crew, but of course, we never see their faces talking to Burr, that only happens by cutting to a Japanese angle. It's hilarious, and that somehow adds a LOL factor to this version of the film. It makes it funnier, but not better than the Japanese original.

Those are very few details, but the Americanization alone depletes the original characters of some of their emotional power, which they had in the original and worked on the third act. It still has the spirit of the original, however weaker. It's one version most of the Americans remember, and it has a nostalgic value, but also since then, they have learned to appreciate the Japanese better with all reason. It doesn't hurt to check this American version, especially if you loved the Japanese original, it ultimately causes a bit of laughter and no hate, and for an Americanized version of a foreign film, that's hard to achieve. Both versions are a worth watch overall, so we all end up winning. Let it pass.
July 18, 2014
'Godzilla' (1954), the original...
Do not be fooled by the big lizard-monster's poster.
From what it may seem to be a monster movie one is able to understand that the movie 'Godzilla' is a rendition of Japanese post war times, when the nuke's unknown power was unlashed on the land of the rising sun pervading unforeseen incomprehensible destruction.
However the premises, 'Godzilla' is a monster movie...an unknown dinosaur-like beast of undeniable size, wreaking havoc in Tokyo believed to be the result of the American nuclear weapons testing. Godzilla unleashes (like a nuclear weapon) great power of incomprehensible destruction.

The movie looks dated with its effects and its melodramatic acting; but yet we were still mesmerized by the excellent craft exhibit by its creators.
The film holds up well, the gray scale photography renders in a very respectable and convincing way the model's cityscapes and Godzilla's costume?(and monster's hand glove).
Exploring the human 'radioactive horror' of such terrible times by means of allegoric representation does not always work, but in 'Godzilla', the filmmakers brought in with great effort a very entertaining believable story.

Even further, interesting is the question that the movie posits. 'Why does every great human's discovery used to create destruction?'

There is a lot to be taken from this film, from the use of such ingenious effects, to the themes the story unravels carrying on with its compelling characters through the use of a wonderful heart-felt soundtrack.

Truly 'Godzilla' is a great cinematographic experience; there is great pathos and that really allows you to overlook the old design effects and suspend disbelief.
There is a tremendous emotional impact for the monster and the people that are facing this catastrophic event.
At one point your senses even get switched to empathize with the menacing monster, like when Godzilla sits underwater resembling a lost harmless kid looking for its way home. ! Beautiful !

'Godzilla' or in its native title "Gojira" is the best giant monster film we've ever seen.

Watch it, you will not be disappointed.
½ July 12, 2014
watched the American version of this recently again on Netflix. Still a good movie, though the effects are pretty terrible. A good film still to this day.
July 1, 2014
The visual style emphasized the sense of terror very well, and the visual effects are somewhat effective for being so minimal, though also fairly obvious. Having not yet seen the original, I'm not sure of how the plot would flow without Raymond Burr's subplot tacked on. There doesn't seem like a central character per se, though that might work better for creating the sense of the plot as an incident with widespread impact. The nuclear weapons metaphor is very heavy handed, though at times effective in its detail. In a way, the cheap commercialization of recutting it for Americans maybe did work as a way of giving audiences some perspective outside of their own experience. Some of the dubbed dialogue is truly asinine though.