Godzilla, King of the Monsters! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Godzilla, King of the Monsters! Reviews

August 24, 2015
great tone and great effects amazing cast such an awesome movie
July 29, 2015
Not My Type of Godzilla Movie this one in Black and White is Boring
½ July 27, 2015
Godzilla, King of the Monsters was an unnecessary re-edited "americanized" adaptation of the 1954 Japanese hit
July 26, 2015
I grew up with Godzilla and it is still my favorite movie of all time. It inspired a often recurring nightmare that was always exactly the same every time I had it. It terrified me in the nightmare, but nothing could shake my love for the movie itself. I have seen it so many times that it is probably now part of my genetic code. I was shocked the first time that I realized that Raymond Burr was not in the original movie. I realized it when I noticed that Emiko's top was not the same when she is seen from behind in the "Steve laying in the clinic" scene. But, momentary disappointment aside, it is still my favorite movie.
July 19, 2015
Through an effective blend of special effects, lighting and sound editing as well as solid performances and a steady build up of dread and fear, Godzilla (1954) remains just as effective as it was in its original run.
May 20, 2015
Love this movie such a classic
May 17, 2015
The dumbest monster film of all time. Hilariously funny because of cheap special effects and an actor in dinosaur suit running around a toy miniature set of Tokyo.
April 2, 2015
The Americanized version of "Gojira" is a fine film although I image the original Japanese version is superior.
½ February 25, 2015
This re-edited American version has a faster pace and Raymond Burr is inserted into the film well but the end result is more or less the same.
½ February 22, 2015
Mítica iniciadora de los daikaiju o kaiju eiga, las famosas películas japonesas con grandes y extrañas criaturas asolando el país nipón.

Godzilla siempre ha sido todo un referente del cine de ciencia ficción, en especial cuando es usado como crítica sobre los problemas del armamento de destrucción masiva. Sin embargo siempre he pensado que su mensaje no siempre queda tan claro como en otras películas del género.

También, a pesar de sus grandes logros técnicos en la época, creo firmemente que el King Kong de 1933, de la que esta es completa deudora, consiguió mucho más en este aspecto.

Sea como fuere, se trata de una película maravillosa que consiguió dar a luz uno de los géneros más extraños y divertidos del cine japonés.
½ February 9, 2015
The original Japanese film was better. This had an American character (who is actually Canadian) added and the one providing lots of narration. A decent remake.
February 7, 2015
Really awesome classic!
January 21, 2015
It's a good movie, but the Americanized version of the original Godzilla has been chopped up so much that the poignant and thought-provoking message of the Japanese version is completely left out.
½ January 9, 2015
This American Version of the Japanese classic is pretty weak. I think Raymond Burr feels shoehorned in, as well as a character that just seems like a fly on the wall more often than not. His character takes the emotional punch completely out of the film. I personally would rather watch 98 minutes of subtitles than 80 minutes of bad dubbing and a guy constantly asking for a translation, only to take the sort of moral and point of the movie out of commission. Original Japanese versions for me from here on out.
½ November 6, 2014
cheesy in some areas, too rushed in others. this is one of those films that in today's society we can all laugh at for its corniness, but also admire seeing as at the time, these effects did scare people back then, and this movie did help in inventing a legend. I had never seen Godzilla until I was 10 and even before that I knew who he was.

for what ever reasons you want, for nostalgia, for thrills, for laughs, this movie is a pleasure to watch.
½ October 6, 2014
Having not watched this movie since my early childhood, I decided to include it as one of my horror movies for my "nightly horror movie films" for the month of October. While I can easily say the monsters are what drew me to this franchise as a kid, watching this movie as an adult reminded me of how well acted this movie is. A great choice in terms of 'film', but lacking heavy in the 'scary' department.
½ September 27, 2014
this is was started it all and the thing is when americans bombed japan they made a movie saying Godzilla is the A bomb overall clever movie a bit boring in the begining but worth a try
½ September 21, 2014
After getting picked up for American distribution, Ishiro Honda's famous monster film was subjected to some truly unorthodox bowdlerization. The thinly-veiled allusions to Hiroshima were removed for obvious reasons, but the strangest move was tacking on a bunch of inserts with Raymond Burr playing a visiting journalist (Most of his scenes involve him asking various people to interpret the undubbed and unsubtitled footage his scenes are haphazardly spliced with). For decades, this cut of Godzilla was the only version available to Western audiences. With the DVD release of the movie's original 1954 Japanese cut, the Americanized take can be properly downgraded to the status of "odd historical curio".
July 31, 2014
Let me start off by saying this isn't Gojira and I think it's a completely new movie. It adds an actor, edits out some scenes and puts total new ones in. It's just as great as Gojira though and it's just as much as a classic.
½ July 20, 2014
While the uncut Japanese Gojira is far superior, Godzilla King of The Monsters is still a much watch.