Godzilla Vs. Monster Zero - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Godzilla Vs. Monster Zero Reviews

½ September 17, 2016
Godzilla, Rodan and Ghidorah are barely in this. The plot with the aliens is kind of interesting though.
June 1, 2016
Typical Japanese monster Godzilla movies. Silly, completely unbelievable, very little plot....and a whole lot of fun to watch.
½ March 28, 2016
This is the 6th Godzilla movie. It is also the 3rd Rodan movie. This is an awesome movie. It is better then most of the Godzilla movies made before it. This is better then the film the is the 5th Godzilla movie and the 2nd Rodan movie. Ghildrah the three headed monster. The 9th Godzilla movie is also the 4th Rodan movie it is called Destroy all monster. That one better then this one. See all the Rodan movies they are great movies.
½ October 1, 2015
While many Godzilla fans may consider each movie to be important in the story of that creature's battles, this movie could have been meshed with the previous and just edited down to 1 hour 50 minutes. It wouldn't have mattered.

It is interesting that they cast a known US actor in the cast.
September 18, 2015
This is the sort of bad movie with cheap monster costumes that can be fun to watch with friends. I need to see more Kaijū pictures. I don't have much context currently for comparing this to other movies of the genre. The spaceship effects are somewhat impressive, however, the odd Planet X alien costumes, doctor character (Tazaki) who seems to have no useful scientific knowledge to contribute, awkward dubbing, and plot holes, especially the inconsistent way that the Earthlings (Nick Adams and Akira Takarada) use loud noises to escape and disrupt the alien communications network leave me unconvinced of the greatness of this series. Actors made clumsy by bulky costumes do not make for the kind of action provided in Harryhausen stop-motion or modern CGI.
½ July 5, 2015
There's about 15 minutes of worthwhile to see in this movie. Skip it and watch Ghidorah, The Three-Headed Monster instead, much better and pretty much the same set-up.
June 29, 2015
Probably my favorite of the rubber-suit Godzilla pictures. Aliens wearing punk rock sunglasses and antenna on their head come to earth promising a cure for all diseases if earth leaders will load Godzilla and Rodan to them to fight a monster terrorizing them on their home planet. The earth men agree and Godzilla and Rodan defeat the three-headed Monster Zero, but the aliens were tricking the earthlings and only wanted to get Godzilla and Rodan off of earth so they could conquer the poor earthlings without their Kaiju protectors. The picture doesn't have as much talk as a lot of the pictures and gets to the battle monster action pretty fast. Lost of slow motion rubber suited men do battle while stomping on miniature buildings. What more could you ask for.
April 7, 2015
One of the coolest Godzilla films I've ever seen.
January 21, 2015
Definitely one of the kookier installments of the Godzilla franchise, but I would have liked to have seen more plot and character development. The story is a little too fast pace, an it has so much potential.
December 27, 2014
This is Godzilla at his campy best with aliens and guest appearances of other famous Kaiju characters. The alien outfits are precious!
½ August 13, 2014
Monster zero continued Godzilla's slide in the 60s from an allegory of nuclear destruction to a kids fluff. With intentionally silly scenes like the infamous Godzilla victory dance and its shameless use of stock footage not to mention a story built around an alien invasion plot that is contradictory and nonsensical its far from the big monsters best movie
July 31, 2014
This is a cool little flick. Its original, cool and intriguing. There's a space battle that's classic and some other great fight scenes. The plot pulls you in and you can't turn it off. And the Godzilla happy moment dance is just classic. A must see.
July 21, 2014
monster zero is the all devine ruler of sci fi godzilla camp. its star trek like atmosphere, cheap sets, and godzilla dance make it a cheesy masterpiece. its expands on the godzilla universe breaking the old formula and has great sci fi elements and monster action that make this a delightful addition to the godzilla canon.
July 16, 2014
This movie is a perfect blend of science fiction and Godzilla. The plot is very creative, the acting is good, especially from Nick Adams, and the monster effects are great! The battles between the monsters are awesome! One of my favorite Godzilla movies!
½ June 20, 2014
When I was a kid I lapped this stuff up like it was going out of style! As an adult I finally understood kids have no taste!
½ May 14, 2014
If you don't mind some goofiness, Monster Zero is one of the better Godzilla films out there.
May 9, 2014
Godzilla takes sci-fi now, and the result is...pretty hit and miss. I don't know if it's a bad movie or not, because it gets the job done but I didn't feel it was all it could be. My problem comes from one thing: Godzilla is barely there in the first two acts. Yeah, it's a Godzilla movie with 50% of actual Godzilla in it. The other 50% is just the sci-fi and the story. While it's not boring and certainly a lot better than expected, the issues are a bit too present to fully enjoy it.

Like I said, Godzilla is working part-time in this movie. In the first act, he only appears for three minutes more or less to fight along with Rodan, the Monster Zero which turns out to be Ghidorah...in space! That's some cool stuff there. Godzilla even manages to do a victory dance!...OK, now it's getting ridiculous. Then, the second act pays tribute to the title, because literally, there are Zero Monsters in this act, it's just the human characters and the story. But got to hand it to them, it's still a pretty interesting act. The third act is mostly the monsters doing what they should have been doing this whole time: destroy shit and fight. The fight scenes and the destroying scenes are good, the story is pretty standard, but fine, and even the sci-fi feels kinda fresh. But I felt there was just barely enough Godzilla in this movie, and I really missed him big time on most of the movie. I acknowledge the rest is not bad, but I came here to see The King of Monsters, but I had pretty heavy sci-fi stuff, which is something I didn't come here for. It's like going to Domino's and order a Pizza, but you end up receiving McDonald's Happy Meals, it just doesn't feel right.

However, maybe this movie did more than I could understand; maybe it'll grow on me later, but who knows. It never bored me, the final act was cool and I actually didn't feel empty, but the bad stuff still bothers me. Check it out if you can.
April 16, 2014
With "Godzilla vs. Monster Zero" the Godzilla franchise has completely devolved into goofy science fiction plots and comedy for children, but in those terms it's one of the most enjoyable entries of the series. The plot is classic giant monster science fiction: A two-man spacecraft is sent from Earth to investigate a newly discovered planet previously hidden directly behind Jupiter, "Planet X". American astronaut Glenn (Nick Adams) and Japanese astronaut Fuji (Akira Takarada) land on the planet and discover that it is inhabited. The aliens, humanoids with pale faces, goofy sunglasses and science-fictiony uniforms reveal themselves as peaceful and in need of Earth's help. Planet X is under constant attack by Monster Zero, whom we of Earth know as King Ghidorah. Why the name change? Well you see, "Everything on Planet X is numbered. The Monster is Zero". The X-ians want to borrow two of Earth's mightiest monster to defend their civilization, including their precious water from Zero. Their monsters of choice are Monster Zero-One (Godzilla) and Monster Zero-Two (Rodan). In exchange, the Controller of Planet X (Yoshio Tsuchiya) will give mankind a miracle wonder drug capable of curing all diseases. Meanwhile, back on Earth, Fuji's sister's boyfriend, Tetsuo (Akira Kubo... wow a guy named Akira playing Tetsuo?) has come up with an invention that he thinks will make a great children's toy. It's a tiny device that makes an incredibly loud alarm noise ("so loud it will shake your teeth loose!"). A strange corporation buys the device but doesn't seem to be putting it into production and the head of the business, Miss Namikawa (Kumi Mizuno) begins dating Glenn. With Godzilla and Rodan on Planet X fighting off King Ghidorah everything seems pretty good for earth, but could these aliens have nefarious goals for Earth and for our beloved King of the Monsters and could there be something shifty going on with Miss Namikawa and that invention of Tetsuo's?

When you think of a campy science fiction movie, this one's pretty much got it all. First of all, how can you not smile at the notion of a planet beyond Jupiter named "Planet X"? It only becomes better when you see the inhabitants of the planet, which despite the movie trying to pretend (at least for a little bit) are benevolent, are clearly evil. They're the opposite of our kind, gentle people of Earth: they're robots whose civilization outlaws emotion, they're bent on domination of the universe, they have advanced technology but are still barbaric in terms of dealing with insubordination and, they have legions and legions of the same model of women and men walking around their planet. Clearly they don't value individuality like we do and the way they name things are uncreative, they really ARE evil! Next, they employ the use of flying saucers to travel around. Not spaceships, actual flying saucers. To top it off, they employ mind-control technology and are allied with Godzilla's most sinister foe to date, the evil space dragon who destroyed all life on Venus, King Ghidorah! The camp doesn't stop there though. Because this is a film shot mostly in Japanese, we've got stilted, awkwardly phrased and dubbed dialogue with some plot elements getting totally lost in translation to the point where they make no sense (the alarm as a children's toy for example, what's up with that?) In this film you will also find some staples of science fiction camp: interstellar love, Earth being given an ultimatum of surrendering to an alien threat of being annihilated and giant monsters wrecking up the place.

How does the film work as a Godzilla movie you might ask? Well it's actually a significant step up from the previous film. Unfortunately this time around we don't get any new monsters, but there's a lot more monster combat and some cool science fiction battles thrown in too. We've got scenes set on Planet X where Godzilla, Rodan and King Ghidorah fight, but we've also got a lot of action happening on Earth. When the Xians make their sinister plans know to the United Nations and the governments of the world, they bring Godzilla, Rodan and King Ghidorah to Earth to tear up the place and show that their threats are real. So you've got Godzilla and Rodan acting as both heroes and villains in this movie, with you thinking "No! Please don't destroy them, just slow them down so our heroes can break the mind control devices and change them back to their heroic selves again!" We've got some pretty good sequences of destruction with the monsters individually attacking the city, attacking the military vehicles sent against them and against each other multiple times throughout the film. It really delivers in that department and, there's a bonus. With the alien invasion plot, we also get to see Earth's military forces squaring off against flying saucers. It's not just any regular tanks and planes though, to combat the alien technology (which communicate using magnetic waves), humanity has to arm themselves with these cool tanks that look like they shoot lightning (actually they shoot magnetic wave interceptor beams) so it actually brings something new to the franchise.

On top of all that good stuff, we've also got a really interesting human plot. Our two heroes, Glenn and Fuji are both likeable guys (and not reporters or policemen, as most protagonists in these movies tend to be) and when these buddies go off to investigate what kind of shenanigans the Xians are up to, you really get excited because you know just as much as they do that there's something fishy going on. These two guys really feel like the kind of guys that have seen all kinds of adventures together and this is their latest, and greatest one. Even when they're not on Planet X it's pretty interesting. There's this whole mystery with Tetsuo, this subplot about Fuji disapproving of his sister's fiancé and Glenn getting all romantically attached with Miss Namikawa (Which leads into one of my all-time favorite lines ever uttered in a children's movie: "You rats! You stinkin' rats! What did you do to her?!"). We've also got those terrific alien villains, who are a lot of fun to watch because they're just so transparently evil. They don't really seem to have a reason for wanting to conquer Earth except for maybe our superior sense in fashions and the fact that being so far from the sun probably makes them really grumpy when they wake up. I guess on a technical level the monster suits don't look much better than they did in the previous movie, and it really is more of a movie you make fun of as an adult and genuinely enjoy as a kid, but it's nonetheless a lot of fun to watch. I almost forgot to mention that this is the movie that famously features Godzilla dancing! Not only that, but it is followed up by a hilarious reaction from the Controller of Planet X. It is truly glorious.

If you're a fan of Godzilla movies, not just the serious well-crafted movies but also the goofy, badly ported over 60s films, this is a great one to show to your friends to get them initiated. The aliens look like they're taken right out of an old "Star Trek" episode, the plot has got all sorts of twists and turns, the heroes are likeable and the film features three of the most iconic monsters in the franchise with some good amounts of destruction. It's a perfect mix of a genuinely interesting plot and a movie that's so bad it's good. There are a lot of memorable moments and it's perfect for young and old fans alike so I'm going to say that of the first three eras of Godzilla films this is one of the best. I know it's not high art, but this is what you want in a movie, a great time with your friends or by yourself for all sorts of different reasons. (English Dub on Dvd, April 5, 2014)
April 14, 2014