Godzilla Vs. Monster Zero - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Godzilla Vs. Monster Zero Reviews

½ May 14, 2014
If you don't mind some goofiness, Monster Zero is one of the better Godzilla films out there.
May 9, 2014
Godzilla takes sci-fi now, and the result is...pretty hit and miss. I don't know if it's a bad movie or not, because it gets the job done but I didn't feel it was all it could be. My problem comes from one thing: Godzilla is barely there in the first two acts. Yeah, it's a Godzilla movie with 50% of actual Godzilla in it. The other 50% is just the sci-fi and the story. While it's not boring and certainly a lot better than expected, the issues are a bit too present to fully enjoy it.

Like I said, Godzilla is working part-time in this movie. In the first act, he only appears for three minutes more or less to fight along with Rodan, the Monster Zero which turns out to be Ghidorah...in space! That's some cool stuff there. Godzilla even manages to do a victory dance!...OK, now it's getting ridiculous. Then, the second act pays tribute to the title, because literally, there are Zero Monsters in this act, it's just the human characters and the story. But got to hand it to them, it's still a pretty interesting act. The third act is mostly the monsters doing what they should have been doing this whole time: destroy shit and fight. The fight scenes and the destroying scenes are good, the story is pretty standard, but fine, and even the sci-fi feels kinda fresh. But I felt there was just barely enough Godzilla in this movie, and I really missed him big time on most of the movie. I acknowledge the rest is not bad, but I came here to see The King of Monsters, but I had pretty heavy sci-fi stuff, which is something I didn't come here for. It's like going to Domino's and order a Pizza, but you end up receiving McDonald's Happy Meals, it just doesn't feel right.

However, maybe this movie did more than I could understand; maybe it'll grow on me later, but who knows. It never bored me, the final act was cool and I actually didn't feel empty, but the bad stuff still bothers me. Check it out if you can.
April 16, 2014
With "Godzilla vs. Monster Zero" the Godzilla franchise has completely devolved into goofy science fiction plots and comedy for children, but in those terms it's one of the most enjoyable entries of the series. The plot is classic giant monster science fiction: A two-man spacecraft is sent from Earth to investigate a newly discovered planet previously hidden directly behind Jupiter, "Planet X". American astronaut Glenn (Nick Adams) and Japanese astronaut Fuji (Akira Takarada) land on the planet and discover that it is inhabited. The aliens, humanoids with pale faces, goofy sunglasses and science-fictiony uniforms reveal themselves as peaceful and in need of Earth's help. Planet X is under constant attack by Monster Zero, whom we of Earth know as King Ghidorah. Why the name change? Well you see, "Everything on Planet X is numbered. The Monster is Zero". The X-ians want to borrow two of Earth's mightiest monster to defend their civilization, including their precious water from Zero. Their monsters of choice are Monster Zero-One (Godzilla) and Monster Zero-Two (Rodan). In exchange, the Controller of Planet X (Yoshio Tsuchiya) will give mankind a miracle wonder drug capable of curing all diseases. Meanwhile, back on Earth, Fuji's sister's boyfriend, Tetsuo (Akira Kubo... wow a guy named Akira playing Tetsuo?) has come up with an invention that he thinks will make a great children's toy. It's a tiny device that makes an incredibly loud alarm noise ("so loud it will shake your teeth loose!"). A strange corporation buys the device but doesn't seem to be putting it into production and the head of the business, Miss Namikawa (Kumi Mizuno) begins dating Glenn. With Godzilla and Rodan on Planet X fighting off King Ghidorah everything seems pretty good for earth, but could these aliens have nefarious goals for Earth and for our beloved King of the Monsters and could there be something shifty going on with Miss Namikawa and that invention of Tetsuo's?

When you think of a campy science fiction movie, this one's pretty much got it all. First of all, how can you not smile at the notion of a planet beyond Jupiter named "Planet X"? It only becomes better when you see the inhabitants of the planet, which despite the movie trying to pretend (at least for a little bit) are benevolent, are clearly evil. They're the opposite of our kind, gentle people of Earth: they're robots whose civilization outlaws emotion, they're bent on domination of the universe, they have advanced technology but are still barbaric in terms of dealing with insubordination and, they have legions and legions of the same model of women and men walking around their planet. Clearly they don't value individuality like we do and the way they name things are uncreative, they really ARE evil! Next, they employ the use of flying saucers to travel around. Not spaceships, actual flying saucers. To top it off, they employ mind-control technology and are allied with Godzilla's most sinister foe to date, the evil space dragon who destroyed all life on Venus, King Ghidorah! The camp doesn't stop there though. Because this is a film shot mostly in Japanese, we've got stilted, awkwardly phrased and dubbed dialogue with some plot elements getting totally lost in translation to the point where they make no sense (the alarm as a children's toy for example, what's up with that?) In this film you will also find some staples of science fiction camp: interstellar love, Earth being given an ultimatum of surrendering to an alien threat of being annihilated and giant monsters wrecking up the place.

How does the film work as a Godzilla movie you might ask? Well it's actually a significant step up from the previous film. Unfortunately this time around we don't get any new monsters, but there's a lot more monster combat and some cool science fiction battles thrown in too. We've got scenes set on Planet X where Godzilla, Rodan and King Ghidorah fight, but we've also got a lot of action happening on Earth. When the Xians make their sinister plans know to the United Nations and the governments of the world, they bring Godzilla, Rodan and King Ghidorah to Earth to tear up the place and show that their threats are real. So you've got Godzilla and Rodan acting as both heroes and villains in this movie, with you thinking "No! Please don't destroy them, just slow them down so our heroes can break the mind control devices and change them back to their heroic selves again!" We've got some pretty good sequences of destruction with the monsters individually attacking the city, attacking the military vehicles sent against them and against each other multiple times throughout the film. It really delivers in that department and, there's a bonus. With the alien invasion plot, we also get to see Earth's military forces squaring off against flying saucers. It's not just any regular tanks and planes though, to combat the alien technology (which communicate using magnetic waves), humanity has to arm themselves with these cool tanks that look like they shoot lightning (actually they shoot magnetic wave interceptor beams) so it actually brings something new to the franchise.

On top of all that good stuff, we've also got a really interesting human plot. Our two heroes, Glenn and Fuji are both likeable guys (and not reporters or policemen, as most protagonists in these movies tend to be) and when these buddies go off to investigate what kind of shenanigans the Xians are up to, you really get excited because you know just as much as they do that there's something fishy going on. These two guys really feel like the kind of guys that have seen all kinds of adventures together and this is their latest, and greatest one. Even when they're not on Planet X it's pretty interesting. There's this whole mystery with Tetsuo, this subplot about Fuji disapproving of his sister's fiancé and Glenn getting all romantically attached with Miss Namikawa (Which leads into one of my all-time favorite lines ever uttered in a children's movie: "You rats! You stinkin' rats! What did you do to her?!"). We've also got those terrific alien villains, who are a lot of fun to watch because they're just so transparently evil. They don't really seem to have a reason for wanting to conquer Earth except for maybe our superior sense in fashions and the fact that being so far from the sun probably makes them really grumpy when they wake up. I guess on a technical level the monster suits don't look much better than they did in the previous movie, and it really is more of a movie you make fun of as an adult and genuinely enjoy as a kid, but it's nonetheless a lot of fun to watch. I almost forgot to mention that this is the movie that famously features Godzilla dancing! Not only that, but it is followed up by a hilarious reaction from the Controller of Planet X. It is truly glorious.

If you're a fan of Godzilla movies, not just the serious well-crafted movies but also the goofy, badly ported over 60s films, this is a great one to show to your friends to get them initiated. The aliens look like they're taken right out of an old "Star Trek" episode, the plot has got all sorts of twists and turns, the heroes are likeable and the film features three of the most iconic monsters in the franchise with some good amounts of destruction. It's a perfect mix of a genuinely interesting plot and a movie that's so bad it's good. There are a lot of memorable moments and it's perfect for young and old fans alike so I'm going to say that of the first three eras of Godzilla films this is one of the best. I know it's not high art, but this is what you want in a movie, a great time with your friends or by yourself for all sorts of different reasons. (English Dub on Dvd, April 5, 2014)
April 14, 2014
Fun and highly entertaining
½ April 5, 2014
Godzilla Vs. Monster Zero(1965)
Starring:Nick Adams
My review
Not so good.
November 26, 2013
A great introduction to Godzilla's ultimate foe King Ghidorah. Though it isn't the best of the Showa series its still a great film that is worth watching.
½ February 14, 2013
A very interesting Godzilla flick giving back ghidorah and rodan with all previous monsters. Not as fresh but the sci fi effects, complex plot, memorable fight scenes and a good performance by Nick Adams makes up for it. There's some pretty good plot points too. 7.1/10
½ January 31, 2013
A pair of astronauts encounter an alien civilization while exploring the unknown Planet X. The Xians request their aid in fending off Monster Zero, known on Earth as King Ghidorah, and ask to borrow Earth's mightiest monsters in order to defeat him. After constructing a plan, Godzilla and Rodan are shipped off to Planet X, but something nefarious is at foot... In truth, the Xians plan to control the monsters using magnetic waves in an effort to conquer the planet, and it will take all of Earth's forces to stop them! This sixth film in the Godzilla series introduces more science fiction elements than ever before in a space-opera of epic proportions. American actor Nick Adams would co-star as Astronaut Glenn Amer in Toho's continuing effort to reach a widening audience over seas. Adams is joined by Akira Takarada, and together they make an enjoyable team on screen. Once the monsters return to Earth under the control of the Xians, the destruction and carnage is unmatched as they obliterate more of Eiji Tsuburaya's finely-made models. In a moment that fans are unlikely to forget (or forgive), Godzilla performs a child-like victory dance after he and Rodan first defeat Ghidorah while on the surface of Planet X. INVASION OF THE ASTRO-MONSTER is another excellent sequel and an important stepping stone in the evolution of the Godzilla series.
December 7, 2012
Would like to see at some stage.
November 21, 2012
Super Cool, Super Fun! One of the best of the early Godzilla movies made.
½ November 18, 2012
One of the best Godzilla flms. Very fun.
½ November 11, 2012
They were right for bringing a monster as cool as King Ghidorah back, but, unfortunately, the movie is so overcrowded with subplots that the monsters, including Godzilla, get very little screen time.
November 8, 2012
this is my favorite film from the godzilla series. it has the one thing that im a sucker for, science fiction. i thought the idea was clever and they really took this film as good as possible. but my all time favorite scene was godzilla dancing, that was my all time favorite scene. its a great film, lots of sci fi, and thats what makes it the best, what a great monster flick. A+
½ November 7, 2012
An all-out monster-alien war--An alien invasion, three giant monsters and a great movie!!
October 25, 2012
While I am grateful Godzilla is not fighting a giant moth or a monster crawfish, the UFO scenes are so bad, so hard to watch that it just becomes torture. A 3 headed dragon is pretty cool. But Gidorah is not in the film as much as he should be, and instead, we get a lot of the cheesy UFO plot to deal with. I'd like some kaiju (Monsters) in my kaiju films, please.
October 14, 2012
If I'm engaged in the actual plot of the film and not merely relying on the monster fights to keep me interested then I know it's a good one. This film did just that. It was incredibly silly yet touching at the same time. Some nice science fiction elements ( a la, Star Trek) and then of course the great tag team of Godzilla and Rodan defeating King Gidorah. What more could you ask for?
October 13, 2012
Overall not as good as some other films that King Ghid- I'm sorry, Monster Zero has appeared in. But the star trek meets Godzilla approach is one of the most unique takes in the entire series. Plus, Godzilla's dance is one of the most epic things EVAR!
½ September 15, 2012
It's 100% Foreign Cheese.
September 11, 2012
Astronaut Glenn: I've got big news for you, pal!
A very.... Interesting movie. Godzilla is at it again and fighting a monster literally out of this word. The movie is literally hilarious to people who love to laugh at these Japanese monster films. Not too much to say other than the story line is well made for one of these monster movies. And that it is enjoyable in my opinion.
August 25, 2012
A killer intro for King Ghidrah into the Godzilla series.