Godzilla vs. Mothra - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Godzilla vs. Mothra Reviews

½ August 15, 2016
Godzilla epically fighting a giant moth is the way to describe Godzilla vs. Mothra, and it is awesome.
March 29, 2016
This movie is also known as Godzilla and Mothra and the battle for the earth. This is the 19th Godzilla movie. It is also the 7th Mothra movie. All the Mothra movies made before this one are better. Most of the Godzilla movies made before this one are better. This is better then the 18th Godzilla movie Godzilla vs King Ghildrah. The 12th Godzilla movie is also the 6th Mothra movie. That would be Godzilla vs Gigan. And that one is better then this one. Still this is a great movie. All the Mothra movies are great films. See this movie. It is very scary.
½ October 28, 2015
Worst piece of shit I have ever seen
April 5, 2015
Godzilla vs. Mothra earns it's praise for the successful reinvention of another Toho icon, much to the enjoyment of fans of the classic Mothra. This Godzilla flick embellishes mostly in the realm of faux mythology, and sometimes overindulges in the niceties. A pair of twin prophetic fairies, named the Cosmos, serve as guides for the human characters in the film; and they face the ultimate task of convincing an entire nation to avoid the fate of their own deceased race, delivered by the devilish Battra. The film's third act combines the best special effects 1992 had to offer, with the shlock-fest that is a three way brawl between the two halves of Mothra and the king of monsters himself: eye-popping to the say the least.
December 16, 2014
In the 4th installment in the second Godzilla movie series, Godzilla is up against one of greatest foes- Mothra. While this is going on, the earth is in utter chaos and is being destroyed by mankind and a new monster has awakened, named Battra. This entry is a descent and entertaining flick that has great monster action and an interesting story. It also has a good message in the end and is fairly executed. Unfortunately, the movie has flaws. The first thing is that some of the special effects that are bad or lazily done. Mothra is a little to puffy and looks worse than in the original movie and in some of the action scenes you can see the strings that are holding the monsters. The second flaw is that the two main human characters are horrible. They act like teenagers and are so immature that is like watching a bad love drama.

Final Verdict- Although it has flaws with it's special effects and characters, the movie is still entertaining to watch and is a descent Godzilla movie. If your a Godzilla fan, than you'll like the movie. If your just an average movie goer and want to watch something entertaining, then you'll might be entertained. I give it 3 stars out 5.
November 2, 2014
Following the financial success from reintroducing the monster King Ghidorah, the powers that be at Toho decided that their next film in the series would feature an update of another one of their famous creations. The choice was of sound logic, as Mothra also appeared in what many consider one of the best entries in the series, and given that Godzilla's image as an unrelenting force of nature had been resurged the set-up was opportune. Although the project would become the most financially successful of the Godzilla films, hardly a fraction of the appraisal for the 1964 film was garnered, leading to a reputation as one of the more average outings from the 1990's. This reaction was unfortunate because, while many missteps were committed, there are a few things to be found that the Godzilla franchise has been sorely lacking.

One of the virtually inherent questions regarding a film that could nominally be called a remake concerns the balance between old and new. In the case of "Godzilla vs. Mothra" the story borrows from the original, but not heavily. The most prominent similarities include an antagonistic business tycoon and a Mothra egg; every other similarity is superficial. Much of the narrative concerns the exploits of a trio of people and their dealings with the diminutive twins that Mothra guards, who explain that continued anthropogenic damage to the Earth will eventually bring monster inflicted calamities. Of course, several of those monsters appear, leading to some conflict between monster and human and some preaching about conserving the planet. While not terribly innovative as far as the genre is concerned, the story at least moves along at a smooth pace and manages to provide all of the build-up necessary for the inexorable monster battles.

Perhaps the most impressive aspect of the film is, believe it or not, the humans. The aforementioned trio is comprised of two divorcees and a flunky of the business tycoon, and over the course of the film we actually see the former two demonstrate a dynamic absent from virtually all of the Godzilla films, with some reminiscing of better times and the main character musing over the possibility of turning over a new leaf to improve his family relationships. It is ultimately melodramatic, but quite welcome in context and something that I was disappointed to not see in the 2014 re-imagining.

For most, the critical point is the portrayal of the monsters, an area in which "Godzilla vs. Mothra" mostly finds success. Godzilla remains the imposing force of nature established in the previous 3 films, while Mothra is given a more modern appearance, for lack of a better term. I actually liked the slimier surface of the larva and the recoloring of the adult form. Noteworthy is the contrast in focus between this film and the 1964 one. In the latter, despite the title, the movie was really about Godzilla and the threat that he posed, while in the former there is a clear focus on Mothra, with Godzilla mainly serving as the obligatory threat to overcome. This shift has the benefit of granting Mothra a full story, but also greatly removes the general sense of awe Godzilla brought to the original. In fact, the nuclear menace feels more like an extra in a movie that is supposed to be part of his series, largely due to the absence of any real objective. He appears twice solely because Mothra requires an opponent. Fortunately, the writers were sufficiently prudent to convey that Godzilla remains the most powerful monster in the film, which allows the climax a reasonable sense of challenge as Mothra and Battra team up against him.

Yet, despite the apparent uneven integration into the plot for the combatants, the monster battles remain quite impressive and varied. Unlike the first three movies of the pertinent series, the monsters clash on land, in the sea and in the air, a variety bolstered by the fact that two of the monsters change form over the course of the story. I particularly liked the tussle between Godzilla and the Battra larva underwater, which probably amounts to the second best underwater fight in the series. The action sequences also boast a wide array of neat looking beam weapons, enabling for some of the best shots, including one where the central characters watch from a balcony as Mothra, Battra and Godzilla fire at each other in succession. Godzilla's heat ray has a noticeably higher pitch this time around, very similar to the sound effect for Destoroyah's micro-oxygen spray that would appear 3 years down the line. I liked this change as it complements the blue color.

With the recent re-imagining of Godzilla, as well as the production of such ventures as "Pacific Rim", the door is wide open for the reintroduction of some of Toho's other famous properties. I'm not entirely sure if that is the best route to take, as Mothra has appeared in all 3 of the series' timelines, including a film trilogy that starred another member of the species. Personally, I think more effort should be devoted to creating new monsters, which is a strategy that worked quite well for the 90's Gamera series. Even so, there are elements from this film that are worth incorporating into future ones, and by extension those working on the planned Legendary Pictures movies would do well to take a bit more inspiration from the rest of the series, perhaps to restore some lost opportunities.
August 7, 2014
I don't remember liking this one for some reason. It's aged rather nicely and I like it, now.
July 26, 2014
One of my favorites. Mothra is a tad bit overrated in my opinion but I always liked the movies she appeared in. This is no exception. The battles were shot great (just like the one before it) and it just feels right. You can't miss this one.
½ July 21, 2014
godzilla vs mothra is a great edition to the series that features good acting, spiritual elements, amazing monster action, and a surprisingly complex relationship between mothra and battra. one of the best godzilla films.
July 16, 2014
A good Godzilla film and a great way to re-introduce Mothra. The final battle is awesome!
July 1, 2014
one of the best from the original series
June 10, 2014
I enjoyed this Godzilla entry more so than the preceding two... Oddly I never really liked the original telling of Godzilla and Mothra and some of the problems I had were addressed in this film... Particularly the scene in which the beautiful Mothra emerges from his caterpillar self... It was genuinely an awesome moment... That aside the movie was fairly average, with some decent fight scenes and a vastly improved Godzilla model!
June 10, 2014
To increase box office appeal Toho reintroduced their second most popular character, Mothra. The result was the most successful Godzilla movie, Godzilla vs. Mothra. Kind of a remake of Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964) this one has several faults. The whole environmental message is overused and not done very well. One the effects side Koichi Kawakita has gotten lazy with the stiff Mothra and Battra props. I'll mention the music score since I haven't done so yet. Done by veteran composer Akira Ifukube, it fantastic as always. In the end it's not one of the best but worth checking out.
½ June 3, 2014
My favorite Godzilla movie!
½ May 14, 2014
Its a bit too similar to the movie its remaking but with better set design and better effects (though still way behind modern American standards) and a fun monster flick bringing back a monster who has become a favorite in the series even if its environmentalist themes are also overplayed
May 13, 2014
Everyone gets covered in glitter, Battra gets friend zoned, and Godzilla gets carried to sea like the fat asshole he is. What's not to like?
½ May 12, 2014
At last, a beacon of light in the darkness! "Godzilla and Mothra: Battle for Earth" brings one of Godzilla's most memorable adversaries back into the franchise with great success. The film begins as a quasi-remake of "Godzilla vs. the Thing" but throws in some great twists by introducing an arch-rival for Mothra: the sinister Battra. After being caught stealing a precious artifact (and destroying the temple containing it in the process), Takuya Fujita (Tetsuya Bessho) is bailed out of jail by a representative of the government and his ex-wife, Masako Tezuka (Satomi Kobayashi). They, along with the secretary of multi-national company Marutomo (Takehiro Murata as Kenji Ando) are headed to explore Infant Island to investigate what is going on there after a massive tsunami has uncovered what appears to be a giant egg. The three explorers find the giant egg and it's emissaries, the Shobijin. These tiny women inform them that the egg belongs to Mothra. Remember that this film is not in the same continuity as "Godzilla vs. the Thing" so these people have no idea who Mothra is. The Shobijin (or as they are called in the film, the Cosmos) inform our heroes that decades ago, an ancient civilization tried to control the Earth's climate. In retaliation, the creature Battra was created by the Earth. Initially, its purpose was to restore order to the world, but it became uncontrollable and went on a rampage. Only Mothra was able to stop it and after being defeated, Battra went into hibernation. Unfortunately, humanity's reckless deforestation and mining operations have awakened Battra once again and to worsen things further, Godzilla has once again emerged from the ocean to wreak havoc.
This film continues the trend of the second era of Godzilla movies with a slew of interesting monsters and some good sequences of combat. Featured prominently are Mothra and Battra in both larval and adult moth forms as well as Godzilla. This gives us multiple battles scenes, no two of which are alike: we have larval Mothra vs. Godzilla, an all-out melee between larval Mothra, Battra and Godzilla, then just larva Battra and Godzilla. Afterwards, Mothra is forced to confront the people of Japan (So it basically goes on a rampage) when the Cosmos are kidnapped by greedy industrialists. After a reunion, Mothra transforms into its adult form and faces off with an adult Battra. Finally, we have the two rivals teaming up against Godzilla in a pretty epic battle set on the edge of Tokyo city. On top of all this we've also got Battra and Godzilla being attacked by tanks, bombers and jets on separate occasions, it's a real buffet of Kaiju action and special effects. Basically everything that worked in Mothra and Godzilla's first confrontation is here, but the climax is amped up by having the underdogs be two adult moth monsters. Mothra gets a slew of new, special-effects driven powers that are interesting additions and make it a more credible counter to Godzilla, who has been powered up in the previous film. A more obvious addition, and what makes this film more than just a simple remake of a previous film is the new character Battra. This creature looks like a demonic insect, a great contrast to the fuzzy, friendly-looking Mothra. On top of having many flashy powers, it has a great look, one that's very memorable. It's a monster that's only appeared once in the entire franchise but really made its mark. I wish they would bring back at some point because the scenes of aerial combat are a lot of fun to see. It's true that like all Godzilla movies, the flying sequences are hindered by the odd shot where the strings are obvious (Something that might not have been noticeable on VHS but is pretty glaring on Dvd) but if you're this far into the franchise, it's more of an annoyance than a deal breaker.
Adding to the positive elements in this film is the human story, which is actually pretty compelling on its own and ties in nicely with the monster action. We've got the Cosmos tying the human world with Mothra's and some nice tension when they are kidnapped. It's worked in the past and does again here, but what we haven't been exposed to in any other Godzilla film is the main human story about a thief trying to redeem himself in the eyes of his ex-wife and to himself. Without spoiling anything, Takuya turns out to be a character that is actually pretty complex and drives the action in interesting directions more than once. Not to be outdone, Masako is also an interesting character to follow. I found the acting from both Tetsuya Bessho and Satomi Kobayashi to be pretty good. These two actually feel like they used to be lovers because they have some real chemistry going on. Even the people involved with the big company that steals the Cosmos fairies turn out to be more than just mustache-twirling villains so when the monsters aren't on screen you will still be entertained. It makes for a giant monster that's genuinely good, and not only if you're a fan of the Godzilla franchise, or of kaiju films either. This is a great example of one of the "classic" Godzilla movies you would show to the uninitiated to get them to join in with your movie marathon.
We've got great scenes of destruction. We're treated to inventive sequences of combat (including a memorable moment where Battra gets a real leg-up on Godzilla). There are likeable human characters and fan favorite elements brought back with enough of a twist to make them feel original again. The only real negative thing I have to say about the film is that some of the special effects aren't as good as they could have been (particularly considering that at this point in time, computer effects, which could have cleaned up some of the seams were available to Toho). Nonetheless, this is what you wish every Godzilla movie could be so make sure you check it out. (Fullscreen version on Dvd, May 10, 2014)
½ May 9, 2014
I realized I'm not a Mothra fan. I can't care about a space-moth that uses Cosmic twins as partners. Godzilla vs Mothra is just an "out-there" monster movie with nothing great in particular, nothing attaching or exhilarating. The execution feels tired and it doesn't feel good for the most. We have monster battles, yes, but there's got to be something in between at least.

I liked the battle of Godzilla and Battra in the sea, that was huge fun spectacle, but the final battle feels stale. It's because both Mothra and Battra don't have much movement. They stay in the same position and throw things, and that's pretty much it. These things can't hold against a moving and living Godzilla. These problems also happened in Mothra vs Godzilla from the Showa era in the 60's. Mothra isn't the monster for fighting, at least not against a monster like Godzilla. Mothra just isn't my kind of monster; it takes some charm away because they have to put some ridiculous stuff, even for Godzilla standards. I felt Godzilla was just a supporting role here, the movie is mostly centered in Mothra, and seeing how I think it isn't a great monster, then I was, for the most part, indifferent to the movie. It's not awful, but Mothra can't hold a Godzilla movie.

This is a middling entry in the series. It gets some spots right, but the overall outcome is unsatisfying. I wonder where the effort of Godzilla vs Biollante was left; probably in the cutting room. I hope the next one is better, or else this will mark the second time Godzilla falls into years of depressingly decaying movies.
½ November 26, 2013
A nicely made film that gives a good story and performances, and a great foe for bot Godzilla and Mothra, though is is far from being the best in the 90's franchise it is still a great film.