Godzilla vs. Mothra - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Godzilla vs. Mothra Reviews

November 23, 2013
A very entertaining movie
March 17, 2013
Godzilla vs. Mothra again delivers effective thrills for genre fans and has a pretty good plot. I really liked this entry because it put the two monsters from one of my Favorite entries the franchise again in a new entry that nonetheless delivers what you want in an effective monster film. The plot is good. However the effects kind of lack and look a bit cheesy and obviously fake. The film works well and is fun despite its flaws, it's a must see for fans of the series. The film is entertaining, and has some memorable moments. Although nothing new is going on here, and even though it lacks in originality, fans will surely enjoy the traditional elements going on. The film is entertaining from start to finish and boasts all the elements which make for a good Godzilla film. Genre fans will surely enjoy it, and if you've enjoyed the previous outings in the revamped franchise, then you're sure to be entertained by this entry. Monster films tend to be basic and they always are entertaining despite its imperfections, diehard fans will enjoy it, and with so-so effect, they will most likely appreciate the camp value of the picture. The picture has a few parts were it could have been better, but as a whole it is a fine little monster movie that retains all the ingredients of what makes an effective film. The film is thrilling and is a must for genre fans.
March 7, 2013
A meteor has struck Earth, and it wakes "Battra," a monster akin to "Mothra," that once destroyed a dominate civilization that tried to control the Earth's weather system. "Battra" was supose to wake to save the planet of a planet-destroyer meteor, but the smaller one woke him too early. Not only did the meteor waken "Battra," it woke one of the most deadly creatures to ever roam the planet -- "Godzilla"!

Shortly after the meteor struck the planet, a gigantic greenish egg is discovered, and is placed on a barge to be taken to Tokyo, Japan, along with two minute priestesses called "The Cosmos" (Keiko Imamura and Sayaka Osawa) who are able to communicate with "Mothra," a giant moth-like creature inside the egg.

Suddenly, while the ship hauling "Mothra's" egg is en route home, "Godzilla" appears and attacks the egg -- thus hatching the larvae inside. "Godzilla" is eventually distracted by "Battra," giving "Mothra" the chance to head to Japan to save "The Cosmos".

"Mothra" then becomes the focus of the Japanese military, since "Battra" and "Godzilla" seemingly disappeared. After the battle, "Mothra" spins a cocoon around itself to change into its adult form as "Godzilla" emerges from Mt Fuji, and "Battra" comes from nowhere.

At first, "Battra" and "Motra" fight one another until "Godzilla" attacks. "Mothra" then convinces its rival to join forces to defeat the nuclear-powered lizard.

The first thing you will have to notice is the special effects. Some look a lot older than they are, while others work nicely. You still get to see a person in a combersome "Godzilla" costume" stomping on obvious building models, as well as model miltary vehicles and aircraft -- but that is what the fans want. Another thing you will notice is that it's fairly obvious that the humans are in front of a blue screen when dealing with "The Cosmos" and "Mothra".

There is a lot of subplots to attract a female audience. One being that "Mothra" is very much like a mother protecting her children in its relationship with "The Cosmos". Another is that two main human characters, who are divorced, bury the hatchet for the sake of their daughter who loves them more than anything.

Because of the frequent battle scenes with the monsters, the human storylines are not able to be explored to great extent. It is, after all, a movie about the monsters more than the humans. The characters were well written, and well performed, but weren't given much since they mostly had to run from the monsters most of the time.

Despite getting top billing, "Godzilla" isn't given much to do in this film. This movie is really "Mothra" and "Battra's". However, even though "Godzilla" is the villian, you do cheer when he emerges from the volcano in the final battle between it and the two flying foes. The battles, especially the ones in and under the water, are fun to watch. Other special effects, like the dust that "Mothra" emits and "Godzilla's" famed fire-breath and the vocalizations of the monsters have been nicely put together, and are quite simular to simular sound effects used about 40 years ago.

Japan is mostly seen in model form while the monsters destroy the city, and each other. However, these scenes are nicely edited together with scenes with real buildings.

There is some violence, but no blood in this film. And I can only recall only one instance of foul language. It is also not a very scary movie. Real young, highly impressionable children may need to be kept away from this film, especially if they don't understand that the monsters are pretend. I would say that children under five shouldn't watch it, but I remember my mother babysitting a three-year old who loved "The King of the Monsters".

Non-fans may enjoy what little plots involving the humans there is, and the obvious message of how we need to take care of Mother Earth before something more worse than the three monsters combind happens. But the fanbase of this genre will certainly enjoy this much more.
½ March 5, 2013
A good remake to the original g vs m. new fresh ideas are added in going somewat deeper into the tone. 6.6/10
December 1, 2012
my favorite of the heisei series
November 18, 2012
Cool, exciting, and fun.
October 25, 2012
Godzilla vs the moth, a remake. There is another antagonist introduced in this film that is more interesting, Batra. Sadly Batra isn't used as much as he should have been, and the end result is another mediocre "human element" film with a few minutes of uninteresting Kaiju battles.
½ October 14, 2012
This film is just ok. Mothra, as always, carries a lot of weight to the plot. The new foe known as Battra looks really cool, and he and Godzilla actually have a brawl underwater! But besides that, this is one of the few films in the Godzilla 90's series I found myself skipping through certain scenes. The plot is just there, and Mothra looks like she got a crap load of pollen spewed all over her body. It just had the potential to be so much more...
September 24, 2012
The elaborate miniatures and all-out destruction make the second half great fun, even if the ending is disappointing.
½ August 19, 2012
Cheesy Godzilla action. It is not the worst but nothing more than a run of the mill monster clash.
July 19, 2012
The special effects are far from the quality of the previous entry (with some model sets looking like something from a 'Thunderbirds' episode) but the fun factor is turned up high. Battra is a very interesting creation and the way his motivations clash with Mothra's adds rare dimension to the monster action. The tone is much more playful and light than in 'Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah' but this is un-avoidable considering this is a movie involving a giant fluffy moth. The human melodrama is also surprisingly engaging and has a lot of nice comedic moments that never feel overly cheesy. Overall, a great entry in the franchise.
June 22, 2012
much better in japanese
½ May 12, 2012
Be forewarned: if you watch the English dub, you WILL hear the voice actors say "Godzillur," "Mothrur," and "laver" (lava). Contains brief stock footage of lava. Also contains one of the wierdest fight scenes I've ever seen, where two grown men throw themseves (not each other) on the ground in what I can only imagine is some sort of syncronized parody of WWE. And once the three monsters start fighting, the movie stops trying to make sense altogether. The climactic battle feels drawn out and is one of Godzilla's lamest.
½ May 11, 2012
There are cool ideas in this movie, but the ball gets dropped on nearly all of them. As with most kaiju films, the humans are boring and underdeveloped, the acting is over-the-top and inconsistent, and there's way too many characters to boot. That said, Mothra has a real reason to attack the city, which most kaiju films can't say.
April 28, 2012
We're reintroduced to Mothra and get some of the more enjoyable battle scenes in this favorite among Godzilla fans.
½ April 16, 2012
Pretty boring, really. The human subplot was among the least interesting I've seen in Godzilla films with the possible exception of "Godzilla's Revenge."
April 5, 2012
probably the best movie from the Heisei series of Godzilla films.
April 4, 2012
This is a decent Godzilla movie depicting the battle between Godzilla, Mattra and Mothra. Mattra sacrafices herself so Motra can kill or imprison Godzilla. Godzilla is a truly terrifying and evil looking monster, but he was no match for the combined assault of the two smaller flying monsters.
½ March 18, 2012
The best in the Heisei Godzilla films in my opinion. Decent characters, a great plot, and awesome battles. I always get a kick out of the little Japanese Indiana Jones thingy at the beginning. Mothra's adult prop was kind of different looking but Battra's designs are awesome.
½ March 8, 2012
This one is alright. I like Mothra but I hate the Cosmos, even when I was watching the earlier Mothra installments as a kid I thought those two little girls were so dumb. Battra is bad ass though. But this movie did fall victim to one of my biggest monster movie pet peeves, where they throw an annoying child character in as a somewhat crucial role in the film. Also, the shot where the three people are on the island and jumping off of the fallen bridge into the lake below and the camera is looming above them looking down as they jump in slow motion...that shot pisses me off. It's so stupid the way they just make them jump in slow motion as if we're not going to realize the water is only like five feet away from them. It just looked so low budget and ridiculous. I did like the ferris wheel though.