Goin' South - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Goin' South Reviews

½ February 18, 2011
An entertaining Western with some quirky characters. Where else are you going to see a film with Jack Nicholson, Mary Steenburgen, John Belushi and Christopher Lloyd?
January 29, 2011
it was a pretty funny western movie
January 21, 2011
what my father in law would call a 'hoot'. it's not great art, but it's fun entertainment, and on that level Nicholson succeeded as star and director.
½ January 20, 2011
Predictable enough in story to lose points, but still a unique spin to the western genre. Nicholson does an okay job, making a likable but not lovable western comedy. Some of the talent, though, was wasted IMO.
½ January 18, 2011
This movie sucks, but it has a good cast. The only thing that makes this movie watchable is the acting. Jack Nicholson does a fine job, Mary Steenburgen is quirky and adorable, and of course Christopher Lloyd and John Belushi are brilliant as usual.
December 9, 2010
Good old school Nicholson......just a random movie to watch on a rainy day. Then it became a love story and I went outside
½ December 8, 2010
I am shocked at the positive reviews for this movie. Despite Jack being, well... Jack, the MOVIE, which is what were supposed to review, is TERRIBLE. I literally did not even crack a smile through the entire thing. Sorry to those who liked it, and I can appreciate its cool factor for having early appearances of some future stars, but geez, this movie sucked. In my opinion, a complete waste of time. If you're into seeing stars in their early days, watch the first 20 minutes or so and then move on.
October 14, 2010
Offbeat comedy that shows a much spunkier Jack Nicholson before the Something's Gotta Give days.
September 21, 2010
Pretty funny. Jack is the best. Belushi and DeVito are in this too. Watch it.
jim222001us
½ June 27, 2010
Jack Nicholson directs and stars as an outlaw named Henry Moon, who's saved from a hanging by a young widow named Julia Tate (Mary Steenburgen). Apparently, a man can be saved from a hanging if he can find someone willing to marry him. Julia Tate marries Henry to put him to work on her mine to search for gold, while Henry is more than willing to be married to her, as long as he gets sex out of the marriage.

His marriage is all work and no play, since Julie isn't willing to put out. While on top of things, the sheriff's deputy Towfield (Christopher Lloyd) still wants Henry dead, especially since he's married to the woman Towfield loves. Henry and Julia's loyalties to each other are also put to the test when they find gold and when Henry's old gang find out about it and want a share.

Goin' South doesn't have the best plot, but the movie at least has a strong cast with fine performances and good chemistry between Nicholson and Steenburgen. Even when Jack is in a movie where the plot is a little thin, the guy is just entertaining. While Christopher Lloyd is also always great and one of the most under-rated character actors of all time.
June 1, 2010
A great Romantic Comedy Western with the hillarious Couple Jack Nicholson and Mary Steemburgen and many Friends of Jack Nicholson as Guest Stars i liked that Scene at the Beginning when he ride trough the Rio Grande and think they can't take him from Mexico and they ride also trough the Rio Grande and his Horse fall death to the Side
½ June 1, 2010
A decent domestic western comedy, but very forgettable.
January 27, 2010
Goofy but kind of fun.
½ January 2, 2010
A lame plot and annoying characters make this a boring watch.
December 6, 2009
I do not care if Jack Nicholson himself directed this film, it is not one of the best westerns I have ever seen.
You would think with a cast like Nicholson (As Good As It Gets), Lloyd (Back to the Future), Steenburgen (Joan of Arc), Belushi (Blues Brothers), and DeVito (Big Fish) that this would be a very entertaining movie.
As much as I found it entertaining, I think I would rather watch Anchorman with Will Ferrel.
I can see the characters ‚??slowly‚?? developing throughout the film, but I think I can see the flies slowly buzzing through the room as well.
½ November 30, 2009
First off the cast in this film was crazy. I never expected to see half of these people in a western type film. Jack Nicholson's character was mostly annoying to me in the film, but he still did a decent job. I would say the movie was ok, but this is how I felt. I felt like a huge cast of people got together and said, "lets make an off the way older western type movie". And they did.
½ November 27, 2009
Jack Nicholson directs this 1978 western comedy about an outlaw gets some last rights at the noose. Just before he get's hung, the executioner asks if there is anyone in the crowd to whom he's about to get married, because if so, he would not be hanged, but allowed to be married to his wife. Of course, being the moral person that she is, Mary Steenburgen steps forward and claims him as her soon to be husband.
After getting married, Nicholson thinks he's off the hook and can go back to being an outlaw. Unfortunately for him, Steernburgen is a strict wife and sees to it that her husband works for him on her land. The outlaw quickly finds out that the land is worth a little more than what meets the eye.
The movie is a quaint one about marriage and love, good and evil and blur that often occurs between the two. It was humorous at times, really odd at others and overall was an interesting film, if not much like a western.
½ November 21, 2009
A Great Old Time Comedy! Jack is Great in his acting! What he's known for! Amazed to See Christopher Lloyd, Danny Devito & John Belushi as side kicks! Its a good Saturday Nite Flick to watch!
November 19, 2009
(***): Thumbs Up

A fun time.
October 30, 2009
I rented this movie cauz it had Jack Nicholson & John Belushi in it but I was disappointed cauz Belushi had almost no lines.Other then that it had some funny moments