Going to the Mat - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Going to the Mat Reviews

June 2, 2016
Jace Newfield is a very brave blind kid to compete in wrestling!
August 3, 2015
Your average Disney movie
August 4, 2014
(First and only viewing - 4/16/2013)
September 12, 2012
a film depicting the dramatic troubles of being blind isn't really very dramatic. a ropey, unconivincing tale about Jace, who is blind, who moves to a new school ijn a new state, from one which he thoroughly enjoyed. he finds rivalry and turmoil at his new school, which is an aspect that is never dealt with, because he brings his reputation upon himself, and it was tiring to watch someone, even someone portraiying such a plighted person, act like such a jerk although it is all part of the storyline. and despite this, i felt it extremely irritating and profusely wince-inducing. then lo and behold, the troubled teen finds the answer to his problems. he is going to join the wrestling team. in one of the most unlikely and unexpected turns of all time in a disney channel original movie, Jace, who is by now aggravatingly overconfident, has successfully made the team, struggles, then gets back up on his feet after him and his 'nemesis' join forces to help eachother, in a way very much expected from a disney channel original movie. droll and unclassy, the film tries to draw you into the challenges and feel emotion for this boy trying to fit in, but the film loses more on the way than it gains. no where near the best DCOM.
½ October 16, 2010
Full-Court Miracle says hi.
October 7, 2010
** (out of four)

This was actually shown on the Disney Channel in 2004. It is pretty typical high school sports film, but the twsut is that the main character is blind.

Andrew Lawrence plays a blind high school student who hoes to get respect among his peers when he joins the wrestling team.
September 22, 2010
Great movie. Everyone should watch this movie. Awesome.
August 1, 2010
John Lambrix: (Before Jace's match with T-Rex Turner) How you feelin'?
Jace: Like a dinosaur snack.

Plot:
Going to the Mate, a Disney Channel Original Movie, stars Andrew Lawrence as Jason "Jace" Newfield, a blind popular New York City teenager who plays drums in the band and playing baseball with his friends. His family decides to move to a small Utah town where his peers begin to treat him differently, and he soon finds out that it is because people think that he is a snob, and not because he is blind. Desperate to fit in, he finds out that if he wants to be accepted, he must join a sport. He decides to try his luck with wrestling.

Review:
A very entertaining and inspirational film. This film shows us you can do anything you set your mind to whether you have a disability or not.

Andrew Lawrence is a talented young actor and he gave a very realistic performance as a blind teen. D.B. Sweeney, Wayne Brady, and Khleo Thomas performances stood out as well. An over all great film not to be missed.
½ November 23, 2009
I've seen this movie three times. It has an original plot and is much deeper than meets the eye. I get a different meaning each time I watch it. The only downside is that it's made for TV.
June 21, 2009
great movie,he was a great wrestler even though he was blind.
May 30, 2009
very cool movie i rekon its wicked
½ March 13, 2009
it is an ok movie!!!!
January 10, 2009
overcoming the odds never looked so good very inspirational and Andrew Lawrence does an outstanding performance in this role
January 10, 2009
Amazing Movie.. inspiring.. just GREAT!!
December 18, 2008
this was a great movie unlike anything iv seen before it was really good
½ November 19, 2008
This isnt a popular movie but its not only a really good movie, but it shows that nothing is impossible if u work hard enough for it. Its about a blind wrestler btw.
October 25, 2008
An all around good story. I liked it a lot.
October 21, 2008
This was a cute movie. I loved this story. It is also one of my favorite Disney Channel Movies.
½ June 29, 2008
This movie is so underrated. Fantastic Movie.
June 29, 2008
This film is just amazing. The storyline made me think about how I would feel in such situation. I reckon that this film has got an important message: we should all appreciate in what we have. The performances of Andrew Lawence made this really clear. You can achieve the things that you wouldn't dream about it!
An inspiring film!