Going Berserk - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Going Berserk Reviews

February 11, 2016
I had never seen this film with former SCTV cast member John Candy, Eugene Levy and Joe Flaherty so gave it a try. While not great, it was entertaining enough to stick with it...mostly because I'm a huge John Candy fan. I can't recommend it though. For fans only.
February 1, 2016
Couple of good moments, but it would be better if they just made it a full-blown SCTV movie. Same with Club Paradise, though that's also poor, it's more of a movie.
June 14, 2015
NOT CANDY'S FILM BY FAR BUT FOR AN EARLY ONE HAS QUITE A FEW FUNNY MOMENTS FROM CANDY AND THE CAST.
September 28, 2014
Until his untimely death, John Candy was always one of our most likable and dependable comic actors. Even in the worst of films, he always got the most out of his bankable charisma and you won't find a much more unappealing film that he starred in than "Going Berserk".
This was his first major film role after leaving the Canadian comedy troupe "SCTV", and several of his friends from that outfit just about sink their careers before they get started in this film as well.Candy shows some of the star quality he would be known for in this dreary, unfunny picture but co-stars Joe Flaherty and Eugene Levy aren't given much to do.
There's a plot here, but in all actuality, it makes up very little of the film's blessedly short running time. The rest of this almost feels like the worst episode of "SCTV" ever, a weak collection of skits that seem disjointed and out of place. The biggest time waster here involves Candy getting arrested and breaking out with future "Ghostbuster" Ernie Hudson. It eats away at the running time and has absolutely nothing to do with anything, but like the rest of the picture, it's completely devoid of laughs.
The movie might have worked better as a "PG" rated, more family orientated film like "Who's Harry Crumb?". The sex humor here feels out of place and unnecessarily crude and embarrassing. Candy's best films were kinder, gentler offerings, but this was too early in his career to know what kind of role would fit him the best. At the time this was made, "R" rated comedies were all the rage and that's what was offered to him. He should have waited for a better offer. "Going Berserk" is a desperate and forgettable flick.
½ March 24, 2014
This comedy did get some laughs out of me, but not enough for me to say it was an excellent film. The story was kind of weak. so you really need to rely on the humor to keep you going. But like I said, it was a little funny, but not funny enough. John Candy did a pretty good job. There is one scene where he is handcuffed to Ernie Hudson. Hudson was inside a room and made Candy stand outside the door. That was a really funny scene. You need to watch it to see what I am saying. There is actually a few really good scenes thanks to John Candy. Eugene Levy was decent, but not that funny. Joe Flaherty was Candy's partner in crime in the film. He did a decent job. So overall it was just an ok movie.
½ May 29, 2013
Has its chuckle moments, but it's all about the fake movie "Kung Fu U" within the movie.
January 29, 2013
Dull and formulaic, Going Berserk is an underwhelming comedy that's poorly made. The story follows a limo driver that is brain washed by a religious cult to become an assassin, but things don't go exactly as planned. The cast features some impressive comedic talent, such as John Candy, Eugene Levy, and Ernie Hudson, but they're poorly used. The story is also particularly bad; it just doesn't go anywhere and nothing pays off. Going Berserk is a pointless and uninspired film that only delivers occasional laughs.
November 9, 2012
Laughed out loud a few times, which is more than I can say for most comedies.
½ October 27, 2012
John Candy as a limo driver who is brainwashed to kill his future father-in-law by a religious aerobics cult. Has SCTV alumni Joe Flaherty and Eugene Levy with Candy giving a nod to Melonville early. Liked Candy handcuffed to the dead guy.
½ September 8, 2012
Some immensely funny scenes.
July 28, 2012
I'd rather watch Kung Fu U or that fake Leave it To Beaver episode, it looked hilarious.
July 7, 2012
I laughed a few times.
½ April 25, 2012
John Candy is brainwashed in an attempt to kill his Congressman father-in-law to be. A significant underachievement given the presence of three SCTV alumni. When these guys fail to make it work there are real problems.
April 6, 2012
Hysterical,if you understand spoofs & are in tune with the current events of that time period & names, I.E Ed Reese/Edwin Meese.
March 26, 2012
The film's plot finds John Bourgignon (John Candy) brainwashed by a religious aerobics cult to kill his soon-to-be father-in-law, a United States Congressman.

also stars Eugene Levy, Alley Mills, Pat Hingle, Eve Brent, Ann Bronston, Elizabeth Kerr, Richard Libertini and Dixie Carter.

directed by David Steinberg.
February 19, 2012
Very underrated comedy. I love the small parts played by the cast of SCTV. Eugene Levy is hilarious!
September 1, 2011
Not heard of this but when you have got John Candy in it...it soo needs to be watched.
Not one of his best but some funny moments here and there.
June 24, 2011
Not a bad film. Not John Candy's greatest, by any means, but not a bad film nonetheless. There were moments when John Candy had me laughing hysterically. As always, Candy was the best part of the film. Perhaps more so this time, than in other instances where he was put up against the formidable appearance of a worthy costar. (Steve Martin in Planes, Trains, And Automobiles) Candy is the only huge draw to the film. But he manages to carry it, and it is worth a watch.
½ June 6, 2011
½ September 11, 2010
A forgotten flawed gem from the SCTV crew. Hit and miss, but some of the hits are great. Cult hypnotizes future son in law to kill congressman, is the plot, but they don't try too hard to stick to it. A must see for Candy/SCTV fans.